Strat Pickups! What are you guys using?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

HeeBGB
Site Admin

Strat Pickups! What are you guys using?

Post by HeeBGB »

OK so I got the new partscaster finished.....well almost. I used junk drawer pickups for now. I remember NOW why I hate the standard Fender 57/62's and why I have kept them in a drawer all these years.

Anyway I have a set of Fralin Overwound Blues Specials in my 3-tone sunburst partscaster (This one is a 2-tone). I am not averse to getting another set of Fralins but I am more inclined to go with something different this time. I was thinking Klein, Kinman, or Novak but was wondering if I should consider any others? Any suggestions?

Edit:I should also note that I am looking for traditional strat pup's not noiseless or any variations like that. I may end up putting some sort of humbucker in the bridge (ie: Duncan Lil 59) but want a traditional strat bridge for now.
stelligan

Re: Strat Pickups! What are you guys using?

Post by stelligan »

http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/str-v_drop.shtml
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mxdGpq-jJc

Curtis Novak rewound the pickups in my '69 and I am over the moon with how it sounds. He makes a cool Strat/Tele hybrid bridge pickup, too. I've been tempted to try one:
http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/str-bp.shtml

Fralin rewound my '65 neck pickup and I was equally happy. For vintage sounds, I don't think you could go wrong with either guy. I have heard great things about Ron Ellis pickups but, have no first hand experience. Happy hunting.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I have a set of Joe Barden Specials I bought way back when, perhaps 20 or more years ago. I paid a small fortune for them back then. They may not be traditional or single coil, but I still like them.
Diablo1

Post by Diablo1 »

I have a set of 59 pickups from Dave Stephens in my Strat. He really covers all bases with his various models. You can get dizzy trying to decide which ones to get.

http://www.sdpickups.com/twister.shtml
Valve

Post by Valve »

I'm using three new Delta Tone Custom shops salvaged from a friend's Dimarzio upgrade in his Strat. They were in the compartment in his case with less than five minutes play on them. Now they are in me strat with more than five minutes of play. It was a perfect swap.
Jana

Post by Jana »

Well, call me silly, but I like the Fender American Standard pickups. I've tried a lot of boutique pups, Dimarzio, Fender hot noiseless, Seymour Duncans, etc. The thing about the American Standard pups is they can be had for cheap if you shop around. Everybody replaces them because they come stock in the guitar (which means they can't be any good). :)
backpack

Post by backpack »

I like the suhr michael landau for singles.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I like the Fralins slightly overwound, but you don't want those.

I have also had good results with Suhr and with Rio Grande. The Fralins are still the shiznitz for me.
MacLoud

Post by MacLoud »

I have several gigging Strat Partscasters.
The Fralin 5% overwound are lovely and are on my main guitar.
There are cheap pickups available called 'Tonerider' that are surprisingly good. I have two gigging instruments with these installed.
I have Fender 'Texas Specials' in a Slide Guitar. Many people excoriate these pickups. They are fine for this application, in my opinion.

MacLoud