So Boston huh?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

amplifiednation

Re: So Boston huh?

Post by amplifiednation »

Cliff if you need a coat let me know I will bring one to Framingham for you. I probably have one you can have... I am 6' 9" though so it might be a little long. J/k!!! I'm 4' 6".

Living in MA is good, I like it here. Framingham isn't Boston....but if you wanted to get a place closer to the city, the reverse commute would be easy. I lived in Somerville for 4 years and those were some fun times. Living downtown is virtually impossible with a car. I kick it in the suburbs now that I'm married and want space for a wood shop.

Oh...this blizzard is making me crazy...where is Miles btw? I hope he didn't try to eat one of his muleshalls. He needs to chine in, I'm curious what his suits are made of.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
MCK

Post by MCK »

LeftyStrat wrote:You'd probably still be expected to dress up if you were an engineer applying for a job at Boeing.
I hear these are 'in' fashion suits at Boeing nowadays! Sorry, couldn't let that one pass. :lol: :lol: :lol:

[img:433:288]http://www.westernsafety.com/chicagopro ... y-Suit.jpg[/img]
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:
wicker

Post by wicker »

How to wear can be some time a tough thing, all in all, it's always better to be clothed too officially than too casual. It is good to be prepared for different situations, i would go for nice shirt and a tie in briefcase - you can always put it on in 30 sec in the toilet.

I remember when I had a speech/seminar at one company in Sweden, me and my friend were all dressed very officially while the listeners were dressed normally, I felt kind weird, not because of them, but because I did not learned how people normally wear in job in Sweden. But still, during interview, it's better to show more respect.
Paul
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

Just so you know what you're heading into Cliff:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

amplifiednation wrote:...where is Miles btw? I hope he didn't try to eat one of his muleshalls. He needs to chine in, I'm curious what his suits are made of.
Miles is heading south...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Thanks for all of the wisdom and kind words guys!

I'm absolutely hate the cold weather, but I've gotten used to it recently (my 7th year in this town has done that). We get huge gradients, from 70 in the day to 30 at night, so I'm at least somewhat acclimated to cold weather at this point.

I'm not going into the interview with too much cockiness (I try not to come off that way) but I will show confidence and hopefully that I'm adept with power supplies (this is for a power supply and magnetics research position). From what I have garnered from my buddy who helped me get the interview (as well as talking with the people there and reading the intarwebs), I should be a good fit for the atmosphere and the type of people they are looking for. Really I'm just going to be myself, I usually get along with everyone and usually at least sound like I know what I'm talking about!

I'm also still torn on the sports coat thing (really what I meant, I don't dress up formal often so I don't know the difference). I really don't have the money for one (or to travel really, my bank account is negative right now!) so I might opt out just because of that. It's not the end of the world if I don't get the job, other opportunities will eventually show up even if I'm not actively seeking them (I guess my reputation isn't all that bad :P). But it would be a new environment and a new adventure, and I'm always down to go on an adventure.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
rp

Post by rp »

martin manning wrote:Miles is heading south...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM_AJb4JXhE
rp

Post by rp »

Hey Cliff, if you mean a Trench Coat maybe not, as real cheap Trenches are sadass, but for a wool overcoat you can get some killer stuff from thrifts and second hand shops, if you know what to look for. Other than bums most people don't wear the crap out of their overcoats, they don't go out of style and when they kick off they go to the Goodwill. Some old timers will have a dress overcoat (a dark grey or herringbone) and a causal overcoat, the dress ones will be pristine, especially the ones in the nicer second hand stores. Bet in Texas the overcoats only came out a couple weeks a year and bet they aren't in big demand used. $35 if you have the time to search and know what to look for can set you up nice. Looks for Brooks Brothers, Altmans, Hart Schaffner & Marx, J Press, Marshall Fields but that's mostly NE, don't knw what the good stores were in the SW. You want USA union made stuff from the '50s-'80s. Don't settle for anything less than your proper size, tried on over a suit jacket, or you'll look like a punk or bum. And don't grab some '80s New Wave overcoat with funny sleeves, epaulettes, or goofy pockets, unless you got the swagger to carry it off :lol:
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Sorry I did mean a suit jacket, that's what I don't have. Hopefully I can find one that matches my pants decently..
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Cliff Schecht wrote:Sorry I did mean a suit jacket, that's what I don't have. Hopefully I can find one that matches my pants decently..
Cliff you could also wear a v neck sweater to dress it up a little, if the suit coat doesn't work out, with a tie with an oxford collared dress shirt. Bring a 30-60-90 day plan for the job, starting with what you would do on your 'first day' for bonus points. You may not need it but it will help you prepare.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
rp

Post by rp »

...and remember, when the interviewer asks you where you see yourself in five years say, "in your job!" :lol:
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Wear a dickie their still in style on the East coast. :)
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

M Fowler wrote:Wear a dickie their still in style on the East coast. :)
I wear one every day. Wait, what?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
boots

Post by boots »

FWIW, at ITT Tech, career prep and interview skills was a separate class in and of itself, and they told us that is not wrong to call and ask "what is appropriate to wear to the interview", but that seems a little brash to me. Couldn't ever bring myself to ask that.

I think you couldn't go wrong with a 3 piece suit. Even if it seems overkill, it shows that you know how to play the interview game. And personally, I think if you left the sport coat out and showed up with slacks, white or blue long sleeve shirt, and conservative tie, you would probably be fine.

Also FWIW, I've always heard that the interview should be a two-way thing, where you are also evaluating the company as a good fit for you, as well as vice versa. So don't be afraid to ask questions (but not about compensation), because that shows them that you're interested and you know what you're doing. If you are too passive or meek during the interview, that is a good way to get hired at a lower than standard salary, and it is hard to break out of the mold down the road.

You probably shouldn't listen to me, because I've had a very bumpy road in my career. I'm probably a little jaded. Just don't sell yourself too cheap, because companies can and will take advantage of you if they think they can get away with it. If you sell yourself as a "new grad" or "entry level" just to get your foot in the door, you can bet they will take advantage of it when they make you an offer.

Good luck, and give 'em hell!
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?