Happiness is

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

tribi9

Happiness is

Post by tribi9 »

I bought my son 2 guitars when when he was really young. I think he was around 4 and 6. He never touched them and ended up selling them to buy video games. He's always said that he has no interest in learning how to play an instrument.

Today he asked me to teach him how to play. We had a nice half hour informal lesson featuring G, C and D. He seemed really interested. I guess the time is right when they want to do it, not when we, as parents decide they should.

:D

[IMG:800:600]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271/tribi9/2013-06-08202323_zps69875ce7.jpg[/img]
Bob S

Re: Happiness is

Post by Bob S »

Man - how cool is that !
8)
Why Aye Man
Chad

Post by Chad »

Thats kick as. I myself bought my daughter a semi-cheap guitar because she was interested in guitar at 6. I believe I pushed her to far to fast and within' less than a year she stopped. Well a year and a half ago she was 12 and has took to it and I had not asked her nor pushed her to it and am proud as any single dad(Or any Dad) could be. :D :D she is getting better and better all the time. Glad to see other young ones are having fun with this great hobby(Or lifestyle in some cases). Chad
tribi9

Post by tribi9 »

My son just turned 13. He even mentioned about looking for a guitar on kijiji. Hopefully he sticks with it. I will not push it whatsoever this time though.
ampmike

Kids

Post by ampmike »

Having 5 the truth is most don't get to interested until 12to14.Its such a great hobby for a kid in those young years when they have a lot of time on their hands.Great to hear he is playing sounds like he has a great dad and teacher,have fun bro,Mikey. Ps,I was born in Ontario back in 61,great musicians come from Canada!! :wink:
Last edited by ampmike on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
TNblueshawk

Post by TNblueshawk »

One of my regrets in life is not taking an interest in guitar, or any instrument, when I was young. But when you are young you don't think about things the same way of course.

If I was in that situation I'd wonder how much interest I would show and by that I mean I wouldn't want him to think I don't care by not pushing a little. Kind of a fine line maybe? Or not?

Either way that's great and I hope he gets the bug.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Got my first guitar for my 5th birthday. Started that afternoon. No matter how little I play these days I don't know what I would have done without it. A worthy companion.
tribi9

Re: Kids

Post by tribi9 »

ampmike wrote:Having 5 the truth is most don't get to interested until 12to14.Its such a great hobby for a kid in those young years when they have a lot of time on their hands.Great to hear he is playing sounds like he has a great dad and teacher,have fun bro,Mikey. Ps,I was born in Ontario back in 61,great musicians come from Canada!! :wink:
Thx Mikey, I think Im thinking of just giving him the Epiphone, but Ill wait a few days, see how it goes first. Maybe, even let him pick his first guitar with some guided assistance. :lol:

Speaking of great Canadian bands, one of my favorite 90's band "The Grapes of Wrath" got back together and have done a few shows. They played in Burlington Friday night. :D

Ed :)
TNblueshawk wrote:
If I was in that situation I'd wonder how much interest I would show and by that I mean I wouldn't want him to think I don't care by not pushing a little. Kind of a fine line maybe? Or not?
I won't ask him to practice, I will encourage him and tell him he's doing great when I see him practicing tough.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

I bought a mini-strat when my kids were young, hoping one of them would develop an interest. None of them touched it and a few years later I sold it. Then when my oldest daughter was around fourteen, she really developed an interest in music, especially older stuff, and asked to get a guitar.

She's been taking lessons (I'm afraid I make a lousy teacher) for almost a year now. Listening to her practice in her room and pick things out off a record is the most heavenly music I can think of.

The other day I came home and heard someone playing bass guitar. She had pulled down my lefty p-bass and was playing it upside down along with a record. So her own right handed bass is definitely in her future.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
ampmike

Burlington Canada

Post by ampmike »

Sounds like a great show.I lived in Burlington as a kid.Born in Hamilton.
I still have a sister and brother up their.My dad passed but his house was right on the main rd on the mountain in Hamilton.Had a great veiw across the street,I think he use to say the escarpment or something to that effect.Thanks,Mikey
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/