Ampeg V4 4x12 80s

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ampbldr2

Ampeg V4 4x12 80s

Post by ampbldr2 »

I have a shot at getting a Ampeg V4 (4x12) dirt cheep. What speakers am I expecting to see in a Early 80s model and is it even worth a dime?
Leo_Gnardo

Re: Ampeg V4 4x12 80s

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

If they were still makin' em out of baltic birch like early-mid 70's the box alone is worth the price of admission.

I got mine with Altec 417's :D good for guitar, bass or anything. Heavy as hell. No idea what may be in the one you're looking at. Ampeg used to load 'em with CTS then square-magnet Eminence. You'll have to pry one out I s'pose to see what it is, unless you see that telltale Altec white frame.
down technical blind alleys . . .
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

Expect a back-breaking beast!!!
I had one in the mid 70's. Speakers were the square back eminence.
Are you getting the amp and cab, or just the cab?
A lot of people really liked the cabs. I did not.
No access through the back of the cab, and the dreaded 4-pin connector that I always seemed to lose. Very well made though. Solid as a rock and heavy as all get out. Heavier than a stock Marshall 4x12 by a good 20 pounds.
That said, with the V4 head, it was a glorious sound. That smokey, throaty, Sticky Fingers/Exile early 70's Stones sound.
<i> "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn."</i>
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

crbowman wrote: No access through the back of the cab, and the dreaded 4-pin connector that I always seemed to lose.
I put a quarter-inch "barrel" jack next to the 4-pin. Works just fine
Very well made though. Solid as a rock and heavy as all get out. Heavier than a stock Marshall 4x12 by a good 20 pounds.
That said, with the V4 head, it was a glorious sound. That smokey, throaty, Sticky Fingers/Exile early 70's Stones sound.
Yup, all that & a bag o' chips. Stones tones even better with a V2!
down technical blind alleys . . .
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

Leo_Gnardo wrote:
crbowman wrote: No access through the back of the cab, and the dreaded 4-pin connector that I always seemed to lose.
I put a quarter-inch "barrel" jack next to the 4-pin. Works just fine
Very well made though. Solid as a rock and heavy as all get out. Heavier than a stock Marshall 4x12 by a good 20 pounds.
Yup, all that & a bag o' chips. Stones tones even better with a V2!
Hell yeah. Regulation jack and a V2 and you would have a very nice, manageable rig for not much $.
The V2 is such an underrated amp.
<i> "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn."</i>
ampmike

V4 stack

Post by ampmike »

I had a V4 stack in high school.I cant remember a dang thing about that amp.I wish I could.It was the late 70's in NJ,got it cheap and then it was sold.
Wish I could help.I was out there for a few years,I do remember the red 200 watt marshall.It was loud!!!!!!!
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/