how cold it is outside ?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cbass

Re: how cold it is outside ?

Post by cbass »

I don't know about the temp but its a cold cold morning. Sprinkled with sorrow and salvation .
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Colder than the ticket taker's smile at the Ivar Theatre.

Another cold snap after a teaser day up in the 30's. That's winter!

Anybody heard of the "millivolt" system to run a furnace/boiler thermostat. My house is so old, that's what I got. There's a thermopile, one end sits in the flame of the gas pilot light which runs like a Bunsen burner all winter long. Generates a fraction of a volt, just enough to open the gas valve, and more importantly close it. Totally independent of the AC power system; in case of blackouts I'm the only house in town with heat. (Don't tell my neighbors.)

I don't know if anybody still makes a millivolt gas controller but it sure has saved me from freezin'. I don't want to replace that old locomotive of a boiler I got until/unless I can continue with the same type of controller.

Needless to say, there are no pumps involved in the hot water lines, totally 'gravity feed.' Very old fashioned, maybe not terribly efficient but so far it's never broken in 29 years except for needing a new thermopile, which I install with a screwdriver in 5 minutes.
down technical blind alleys . . .
dano-rator

Post by dano-rator »

boots wrote:Our power was out for about 12 hours yesterday. The wife and kids had a snow day - stayed home and played cards and board games all day while I was at work. Came home to a dark cold house, couldn't play electric guitar, the pellet stove won't work when the power is off, etc. It was starting to not be a fun adventure anymore.

I was pretty glad to see the power come back on about 9:30 pm last night!
Won't some of those pellet stoves operate off of 12vdc, eg. a deep cycle marine battery? I have no experience with them, that's just something I overheard on the Citizens Band.

I haven't used the furnace in the 5 years I've been in my house, 2 wood burners handle that job. But its work keeping them fed.

That millivolt system sounds good, I'll have to look into that if I ever get the gas line hooked up.

Stay warm!
Dan
Oo De Lally
schaublin65

Post by schaublin65 »

Hi,

thermopiles are rare in european heating units. I have seen just one in the last thirty odd years. An american made air heater if I remember it right.

If it fails the valve will surely close under spring pressure.

The "fail safe" principle is taken seriously in gas control systems.

take care...

John