Who are we? Let's get to know each other!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

chief mushroom cloud

Re: Who are we? Let's get to know each other!

Post by chief mushroom cloud »

Hi...I'm Tracy Norton....I live in Pasade...uh...Peenemunde, CA...home of Jack Parsons......Ima Packaging Eng by trade, but I pretty much will do anything for a buck....many bucks.....prob more than you're willing to pay.....I built a few amps, and reverse engineered a few...

Played guitar and bass for these retards way back: http://www.psychogeneandtheneonz.com/
and got beat up a few times for it...

I have no respect for Marshall amps or their clones

Ima BurmanHiWattVox fan.....

[img:400:333]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff32 ... uirrel.jpg[/img]
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Now 52, I started repairing guitar amps in my early teens when I had no idea what I was doing. Wasted a year at college then played guitar full time for 8 years. Went back to school in the nick of time to learn tubes (the last year they taught tubes was 1983), and had the good fortune to be actually working at an Amp,PA and Keyboard repair place while I was going to school. Did the computer tech thing and after a few years bought out the shop I used to work at and ran it while I kept my day job. Finally had to sell it when it got too sucessful (a man's gotta sleep). Gave up on playing and bench work for 10 years and then developed carpal tunnel about the time I was going to start back in on Amp building. A couple of years after the surgery I started up again. My focus has been on DClones with about 20 so far (each one different).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Runaway J

Post by Runaway J »

Hi,

my name is Juergen, I live in the northern part of Germany (Minden area).
My surname is totally incompatible to the englisch language, but I know that there are folks in the US with the name ‘Mankedick’ which is more or less a phonetic translation of my name.

I’m 43, married, proud father of an eight years old boy who loves to put Robben Fords ‘Blue Moon’ into the car stereo and freaks out in his seat when ‘Up the Line’ starts. :lol:

I’m working as a project manager, planning and building production plants for the chemical industry. Startet my working life as an electrical tech, building and servicing fire alarm systems.

I play guitar since I was 13, am playing in an acoustic guitar trio (seems I’m getting old).

I mess around with electronics for 25 years now, built some hifi tubeamps, overdrive pedals, speaker cabinets, restored and repaired a few guitar amps.

My special interest is D-amps and D-clones, ‘cause I always loved David Lindley’s playing when he was with Jackson Browne, and since my brother owned an ODR around 1980 I can’t get the damn thing out of my mind. For years I’ve been collecting any information I could get to build a dumble clone, but that wasn’t much until I discovered this superb forum. That was about 18 month ago, haven’t missed a single thread since then.
Thanks to Omar for this great place and to all of you who so kindly share their knowledge with novices like me. Really whish I could contribute as much.

Another amp that I’d love to build a clone of is the Jim Kelley FACS. The concept of this amp is so unique and it sounds really amazing IMO.
But one thing after the other.

Unfortunately my internet line was down 98 % since January (!) so I could only visit the forum from office during my lunch break. No time for posting. Had huge trouble with my internet (DSL) provider, the biggest PITA that ever struck me :evil:, but the problem is solved now :D .

Got schematics and plans ready so far and parts nearly complete to build my first ODS-clone. But things move really slow since my job takes so much time and I don’t want my family to come short. As soon as anything worth to look at is finished, I’ll post some pics in the Dumble zone.

Greetings

Juergen
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Welcome Juergen!

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
roberto

Post by roberto »

Hi all,
28yo, italian mechanical engineer, my name is obviously Roberto. Started playing bass and guitar when I was just 17. Interested in searching an astonishing guitar sound, more than finding it. Just like an Ulysses in a sea of harmonics. :wink:
mchauck

Post by mchauck »

Hi, mchauck.......errrrr Brian Hauck here. I am a trying to retire remoldeling contractor who walked into an instant family situation three years ago. My youngest step son is quite the guitar player and in my desire to participate in music with him, I rekindled my love for guitar building that had been on the back burner for years. He's a lefty, so it was a new challenge for me. We are having a blast. It was a natural progression as it has ben said here earlier to go on to amp building. I built Dave Hunter's SE amp in his book first and really loved it. Then on to an 18 watt TMB, then to a 2204, then a HeavyWatter (I love this amp) now looking at a Franchesca build. I am taking the NEETS course on vacuum tubes right now and am learning a bit about tube theory finally. I have a long way to go and I sit on the sidelines here alot. I really love this site. It has many of the qualities that 18watt.com used to have and a brave new spirit all its own as well. Kudos!!!! :lol:

Brian
exoticwood

Post by exoticwood »

Hi, Jim McClary Here, 52 years , Wife ,Daughter 8 yrs. old. Just found this forum, playing guitar 37 years. Had a band during the late 70's, always liked tube amps. Playing through a mint Sunn Model T now but played a Sunn Sceptre back in the day. Looking forward to building a tube amp probably a T/wreck.
I also just got a mint Lafayette 50 watt tube Pa amp model pa645 that I might Mod. I don't think its got any time on it and it has RCA 6l6's in it. Also just picked up a sf Vibro champ that sounds great. I always wanted to build an amp so I think nows the time. Oh and my wife thinks that I am a hoarder but she doesn't really understand the concept of mastering the possibilities of what you can do with all this stuff I've collected. Also a woodworker.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

exoticwood wrote:... Oh and my wife thinks that I am a hoarder
She HAS TO :!: It's in her job description :wink: And don't forget :!: They're all part librarian. "No loud noises :!: "
Welcome, Jim :D
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Hi Guys,

My name is Darrin Howse.

I was born in Gander, Newfoundland, Canada, raised in a small town in a house 30 feet from the Atlantic Ocean, and I now live in Pickering, Ontario (on the eastern edge of Toronto).

I'm 41 and am married to a wonderful woman who pretty much never complains about all of the messing around I do with music electronics.

I have 2 beautiful daughters (like their Mom), Amy - 10, and Rebecca - 6. All of my time is split between family and electronics (I call music electronics my mid life crisis, I rarely drink and I don't smoke, do drugs, or chase women, my wife thinks that it could be worse).

I am an Electronic Engineering Technologist and I work in the engineering department of a company that integrates test equipment.

I started modding amps about 12 years ago and I was immediately hooked.

My first amp mod was the conversion of a Fender Bassman head (silverface) to a "Bluesmaster", by John McIntyre in a 90's Guitar Player magazine.

I've built countless pedals, too many to name, the best ones being a '75 Triangle and an early '70's Ram's Head Big Muff with a few mods, asymmetrical diode clipping, germanium diodes, Cornish style buffer, etc.

My main amp is a London Power Standard from the TUT5 book. I added Dual DC Power Scaling, dual master volume, and dual variable negative feedback.

My current build is an Express. Waiting on a chassis from Allyn Mey that I just ordered today. Already have the trannies from Toneslut and parts from the BOM on one of the threads. Just got the layout from Nick Thurn for the Airbrake (Thanks Nick) and I after I build the Express I am going to build it to compare it to Power Scaling. I am also considering my first set of tweaks which will either be an effects loop, tremelo (just can't leave that unused triode stage alone!), or a line out.

My next build will be one of the Dumbles that I will fit into the Fender Bassman head. Already got some good info from the guys here, but one thing at a time (I'm sure nobody here has more than one amp on the go at a time :lol: ).

Nice to meet all of you - a lot of very helpful, outstanding people here, guys I'd be proud to call my internet friends.

Later
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

Greetings Friends,
I am a 47 yr old New Hampshire'ite happily living in sunny San Diego with my lovely wife and three darling teenage daughters. Yep....my home is estrogen central but I wouldn't have it any other way!

I am an engineering program manager for a local, high tech govt. contractor focusing on the demilitirization of munitions (e.g., nerve agents, explosives, propellants, etc...). In this line of work, the definition of "a bad day" takes on a totally different meaning. Fortunately, I have never had one!!

I was bitten by the tube amp bug ~3 yrs ago when I couldn't find a local, trustworthy source for repairing my childhood Ampeg V4. So....I did it myself with the help of the on-line tube amp community. Totally hooked with the hobby ever since.

I have done a handful of scratch builds another handful of kits and 3 Bogen PA conversions most of which I sell and/or give to friends that play the guitar and/or have children just starting to hear the call of musicianship.

I have been playing the guitar since my teenage years and lean toward classic rock and blues but will gladly play anything that "works" for whatever gang I happen to be playing with. Never had any professional aspirations as a musician. I only need to scratch my creative itch and fulfill my desire to entertain fun loving folks from time to time.

A sincere thank-you to all who have shared their knowledge and experiences here!

Dave O.
exoticwood

Post by exoticwood »

Thanks Dr, I often forget that they are another species, without her I'd just be twisting in the wind though ! I have way too much useful stuff to just toss it. Have a real bad exotic wood collecting hobby too ~ hence the name. Been collecting about 20 years now.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

exoticwood wrote:...without her I'd just be twisting in the wind though ...
Yeah, me, too, but we don't want them to KNOW it :D
Tim

benoit

Post by benoit »

drhulsey wrote:
exoticwood wrote:...without her I'd just be twisting in the wind though ...
Yeah, me, too, but we don't want them to KNOW it :D
I think its a little late for that :twisted:
Structo

Post by Structo »

Hey guys,
Tom here, 51 years young.
I have always been interested in electronics and I am mainly self taught although I have an associates degree in electronic engineering from a local community college.

That was way back in 1977 and when I was there semiconductors were the big new thing so I think we spent like three days on tube theory....
Fast forward 30 years and my interest in tube amps has grown exponentially.
I like building and refinishing guitars and I am a regular member over at the ReRanch Guitar Refinishing Forum.
Just recently completed this tele that has a flamed maple top with a one piece alder back. I call it the tiger burst.
clickable
[IMG:160:120]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/Structo/Flame%20Top%20Tele/th_IMG_0033.jpg[/img]
[IMG:160:120]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/Structo/Flame%20Top%20Tele/th_IMG_0042.jpg[/img]

I've had a few tube amps over the years but never really got into the guts of one.
Recently bought a D'Lite 44 when the availability and price were right.
Been playing guitar for 35 years and I am still trying to learn new things! :D

I am in the process of tuning the D44 circuit to my liking and thanks to this great forum and the very knowledgeable people here it is becoming a reality.

If you are interested in finishing or any guitar related subjects the ReRanch forum is a great place to learn. Some very knowledgable people there. Also The ReRanch store is one of the few places you can still get Fender and Gibson colors in nitrocellulose aerosol cans.
They are friendly and super helpful just like this place! :D
http://reranch.com/reranch/index.php
Thanks!
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Structo wrote: ... I call it the tiger burst.
BEAUTIFUL :D I'll bet she'll gr-r-r-o-o-o-w-w-w-l-l-l, too 8)
Tim