Health problems, soldering fumes/rosin core fumes/smoke

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Rick

Health problems, soldering fumes/rosin core fumes/smoke

Post by Rick »

I hope I'm completely wrong about this, but I have a strong suspicion that the rosin fumes are really bad stuff. Diethylene glycol dibutyl ether is listed as a hazardous substance that can cause lung damage and skin irritation.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Health problems, soldering fumes/rosin core fumes/smoke

Post by pompeiisneaks »

You're not wrong. There's a reason that anyone that solders for a living uses evacuation systems to pull the fumes away. I started experiencing flu-like symptoms every time I'd spend a day soldering. I read up on it and found it's really bad. I already have asthma, so I was fast to get a good fume fan, not a full system, they go for like 1000$ or more, but this does the job, pulls it away from my face and I don't hardly breathe any in now. Be in a very well ventilated room, or get a good ventilation setup.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Every tech should have a smoke evacuation system.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Patchbay assembly is not like amp building so the iron is constantly hot and you do a new point every 10 seconds or so. 16 hours will give you hearburn feeling yuck that hangs on for a few days. That can't be a great sign.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Rick

Post by Rick »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:08 am You're not wrong. There's a reason that anyone that solders for a living uses evacuation systems to pull the fumes away. I started experiencing flu-like symptoms every time I'd spend a day soldering. I read up on it and found it's really bad. I already have asthma, so I was fast to get a good fume fan, not a full system, they go for like 1000$ or more, but this does the job, pulls it away from my face and I don't hardly breathe any in now. Be in a very well ventilated room, or get a good ventilation setup.

~Phil
Thanks for the reply!
Last edited by Rick on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Yup I had a friend quit soldering/building amps because of his associated health problems.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

A jeweller my wife buys from just died after years of ill health from solder fumes. I told her about halogenated flux fumes and tried to talk her into a smoke evacuator 2 years ago. She was not willing to "go to the trouble".
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Rick

Post by Rick »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:11 pm A jeweller my wife buys from just died after years of ill health from solder fumes. I told her about halogenated flux fumes and tried to talk her into a smoke evacuator 2 years ago. She was not willing to "go to the trouble".
That's too bad. I should have known better. I did use a fan to blow the fumes away but not enough evidently.