Trouble staying logged in

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Trouble staying logged in

Post by martin manning »

I can't seem to stay logged in, getting kicked off while composing posts. Anyone else?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Trouble staying logged in

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Sometimes it's a browser based problem. Try either clearing your cookies and cache ( sadly this deletes all saved data like logout etc) or just try another browser for a short time.

Not happening to me.

Phil
tUber Nerd!
didit

Post by didit »

I too have had issues with this, at least since July first. Sometimes even 'mid-paint' of a posting. The first or first few photos get loaded and then blanks, with a "you're not worthy ..." type message. I've flushed cookies a few times without a fix. The browser seems to be Safari, on two machines - iPad and MacBook. The iPad hasn't had Safari updated in several weeks. The laptop was updated Tuesday, and I recall Safari was on the manifest.

FWIW .. Ian
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Me too on ipad. Last week or so.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Still happening to me. Tried clearing out my browser, but no luck.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

If it's common to safari, I don't use that one, so I'd guess it is a bug either in safari, or in the BB software and safari, but I've not updated that in ages. I'd try using Chrome, or Firefox to see if that helps. At one time you could install chrome on ipad but not sure if you can anymore. If not there's also the app tapatalk for iOS and android if you want, that works well too. I've got the site setup to use it.

Edit: spelling

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I had to login to reply to this.. I replied and had to login again to reply.... I am not sure I won't have to do it again to reply. Hope not.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
oldmica

Post by oldmica »

Same here except less frequently.

I'm running Firefox 60.0b14 (64 bit), on Windows 7.

If I can figure out a pattern, and ideally a way to recreate it, I'll report back.

Until then, I'm doing a copy before submitting posts, just in case I need to log back in & paste it back into a fresh reply.

edit: I left this thread in an open tab, then opened another tab and surfed to a couple news sites. Probably spent 10 minutes doing that. Then came back to this tab, pressed <F5>, and discovered I was logged out. I also use Noscript, and it indicated that I needed to re-enable ampgarage.com. Did that, logged back in, and tried to edit this post.

When I clicked Submit, I was told to log back in again. So this is the 2nd try at an edit.

An interesting PITA.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I found one potential fix for it, I've attempted a configuration change, but it will require that you delete the cookies for the site, to make it potentially work.

I'm not 100% sure it's a fix, but let me know if it seems to solve it. I think the reason I don't see it very often may be that I mostly use one of my primary home or work computers to view the site, and I do the 'leave me logged in' thing so I'm always logged in.

Let me know if it helped.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Testing 1... 2... 3... <preview 1> Check 1, 2. Check 1, 2... <preview 2> La la la la <preview 3> Added image. <preview 4>

Seems to have improved, as I'm still logged in. <preview 5> Deleted image. <preview 6>

Still logged in. Maybe that did it. <preview 7> hitting Submit... That worked. Now editing post. <preview 8> <submit>

Still good; fingers crossed.

Editing again, still good. This is something new, or at least MUCH worse than I've seen before. Here's hoping you've cured it. <preview 9> ...and I'm kicked off. Rats.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

gah that sucks, well, I'm not sure I know what else to try, I'll research it more later, another thing that CAN impact it is changing IP addresses. If you're on mobile and swap towers for example it sets a new 'host address' and needs to re-authenticate. Most home addresses are dynamic but won't change for months at a time.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I have experienced some of this from my phone before, but extremely rarely when using my laptop. It does seem to be improved, as it was almost unusable a few times. But, I just got booted again trying to post this.
didit

Post by didit »

My last day or so the board connection was uninterrupted with laptop Safari browser. But **day*job** attentions so less actively engaged too.

Best .. Ian
oldmica

Post by oldmica »

It seems significantly better. Here's an hour of black box testing:

8:55 pm logged in
8:58 pm submitted a reply to another topic
surfed TAG, then searched for 5e9a info, opening other tabs and so on
9:04 visited this page and used <f5> to perform a webpage refresh: still logged in
surfed, etc
9:20 <f5> on a TAG page: still logged in
surfed, etc
9:40 <f5>: still logged in
surfed, etc
9:55 <f5>, then <ctl><f5> for good measure: still logged in

It was happening well before an hour elapsed (eg within :15), before the website configuration update. No changes on my end afaik (not sure about any IP address change, but I doubt it).

:D

(edit: I had already configured Firefox to discard cookies upon exit. Also I did not visit any other TAG pages during the above surfing.)
oldmica

Post by oldmica »

Aaannd - it's back. Oh well.

Earlier, I was seemingly able to recreate it by:

(close all Firefox windows)
open new FF window
open a second FF tab
click on any topic
<f5> on the first tab: logged off

Fwiw, it looks like it might be related to switching tabs on TAG.

Wish I could be of more help.