What're you listening to right now??

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

NickC

Re: What're you listening to right now??

Post by NickC »

Albatross - Peter Green

Sleep Walk - Santo & Johnny
ER

Post by ER »

telentubes wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:33 pm
I'm going to see Jesca Hoop in Seattle on Friday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpig7uyd7M8
I grew up with the Hoop Family. They're all super talented, and her dad was an excellent finger-picker and great guy.
Jessica was Tom Waite's Nanny for a while, between that and her parents, a lot of inspirational vibe to grow up in.

It's funny to watch that video, because I remember her mom was directing us in a church musical one time. I was playing drums and my friend was on piano, we were so excited. First she took away the toms, then all the cymbals, and then the bass drum, then the sticks. I ended up with just a snare and brushes. I'm sure if she knew the tea towel trick that would have been next.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Hoop! I'm a fan.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

You are so lucky to have grown up around the Hoops. I discovered Jesca only a few years ago through her association with Blake Mills (another California treasure) and last week was the second time I've seen her live. The first time was 2 years ago and it ranks in the top 10 live performances I've witnessed, spanning my 65 years, and myriad genres. Jesca is one of a kind. Usually I can get an idea of a musicians influences and what kind of work and focus it took to get to where they are. With, Jesca, I have no idea what she's tapped into or where that shit comes from, but I'm mesmerized by it. She probably won't ever be main stream (main stream's loss) but she has a dedicated following. I'll make the effort to see her if she's anywhere near where I live. Yeah ER, you're lucky. Your observation about her mom striping down the sound was right on. This concert was basically Jesca and her guitar, with two more women's voices. The other two occasionally added a small drum or keyboard part, but not often, and the sound was enormous. Pitch was dead on.
ER

Post by ER »

I don't know where she get's that stuff from either, I think it just comes out. They weren't doing stuff like that when they were younger, more musical theater and pop stuff, and they were quite a few years younger than me. Her dad was way into deep folk stuff, must have rubbed off. He showed me a few things on guitar, but I was more of a blues rock guy so he blew me off because that wasn't his thing. Growing up in nor-cal was interesting for sure, our small core of friends in high school included Doyle Bramhall II and Dylana Nova Scott who makes 3rd power amps and is a killer guitar player.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Headed over to your neck of the wood in a about 10 days for a week of much needed R and R. We rented a place in Jenner, out on the coast. It is so freakin beautiful out there and we try to go yearly in the late fall. That part of California oozes creativity and it's nice to tap in once and a while. Can't wait.
ER

Post by ER »

I wish I still lived over there, had to move to the central valley to afford to stay in California and haven't been back since the fires. Sounds like a great trip, I love that area!
drew

Post by drew »

Pretty funky outfit here.

Fritzer

Post by Fritzer »

The War On Drugs, A Deeper Understanding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9LgHNf2Qy0
Last edited by Fritzer on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fritzer

Post by Fritzer »

Frank Sinatra, Where Are You? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX3r-nOSnN0 Legend has it, after singing this song, frank walked out of the studio into the night without saying a word. Many of the Capital Studio musicians where in tears. Eva Gardner was the woman.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

sluckey wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:03 pm Early morning smooth....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liCL0fRmnjk
STEVE!! wow..right up my street, thanks so much for a new discovery :D

beautiful.

I've also been a huge steel fan since working with Paul Franklin in the 90's .

there goes my day....

M
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Early morning smooth....
GREAT tune!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I'd never heard of the guy until recently when Ed Chambley posted that link over at Hoffman's forum. I've listened to a lot of his stuff since then. Nice stuff!
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I got a chord chart for that specific tune by Duke Levine playing the tune at Banjo Jim's. It's on Chordify which allows you one free chart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b40cp7jDAuQ

With respect, 10thtx