Proposal to the members of a new moderator

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Proposal to the members of a new moderator

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Yeah, just more pain in my back and neck hehe. Luckily I fell on my ass and not on any bones.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Hoping for your quick recovery Phil! That's the best way to fall. Bones are always the worst as we age !

+1 on Dave as Mod as well!!
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Sounds colossal :!:
Scumback Speakers

Post by Scumback Speakers »

Colossal is ok by me.
Scumback - Guitar Speakers That Kick Ass!
http://youtu.be/u6U30BV2kFM
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
www.scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Checks all the boxes. T'ding! :D
rooster

Post by rooster »

Arrg. Hopefully it was a butt slide on carpet..... Be careful, Phil!
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

rooster wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:59 pm Arrg. Hopefully it was a butt slide on carpet..... Be careful, Phil!
Yeah that was pretty much it, I slipped on the first carpeted step, and my gluteous maximus took the brunt of it, I slid down the stairs about half way, beating my back a bit. I'm fine already today was just a bit extra stiff in my butt/back for the next two days.

:)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
ericlc

Post by ericlc »

@Colossal, thanks for helping out
@Phil, a swift recovery
Blindog

Post by Blindog »

Yes to Collosal Mod!
Hope you get well quick.
"- Yeah, can we have everything louder than everything else? Right!"- Ian Gillan
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

As someone who runs a number of fora on auto topics, I have to say this is possibly the most congenial bunch on any forum I've visited.
I've lurked here on and off for a few years but never joined - when you run fora the last thing typically that you want to do is more of the same.

Early on in my forum admin role I found that having a core of about 10 regular members to admin and moderate -with good level heads and 'all on the same page' with regards to acceptable conduct was the solution, over time there is natural attrition and it becomes harder to find 'volunteers'. People become more self-interested and contribute less to fora, because of the social-media platforms farcebook instafap etc.. They also believe that somehow there is revenue generated and they should be paid.... so the greed factor becomes apparent and those are the exact people who don't get offered any role.

Admin and mod roles are not decisions taken lightly and it's also an advantage when someone knows how to actually use the software enters into the role. It simply makes things less frustrating.

One thing that is prevalent on many of the larger fora with hundreds fo thousands of members is the inevitable behavioural change which occurs when someone is offered the role of admin / mod and the "power goes to their head", it's something I have had the unfortunate displeasure to witness, and it has also been of my own doing - i.e. placing that level of trust in someone who then suddenly sees an opportunity to exercise their newfound muscle. It's a very disheartening process.

So that's some external perspective for other members, in case they wondered how thankless and frustrating administrating fora is. Also a suggestion that if you put your name forward and your heart is not in the right place, that you will not find it easy to earn respect from other longterm members.

It's mundane and time consuming, but many hands make light work. The only persistent issue I've experienced is that there are a lot of admins / mods who are hesitant to actually perform the necessary tasks of post/ thread moving, user warnings / bans / spam posts etc. without asking 'permission', despite being given the training and 'permission set' to perform the necessary tasks.

Best of luck with your new staff Phil :lol: :D :wink: and to the new mod Colossal.
The Plexi is Sexy. :twisted:
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

h4x0r wrote:Best of luck with your new staff Phil :lol: :D :wink: and to the new mod Colossal.
Thanks. I have nothing but good to say about the members here, and over the years, some have become close internet friends. I count some even closer than most people I know. There have been some bad folks that have come and gone (they don't last), and boy, that has been entertaining. The sayings, "[insert name here] won't be coming down for breakfast!" as well as "I smell bacon!" are perennial favorites when somebody melts down and gets booted. Fortunately though, we haven't had any unpleasantness in a long while. I agree about the congeniality of the members here. Even when a controversial topic is brought up, opinions and feelings can be strong, but generally all try to find common ground as well as a scientific explanation for a point of contention. It's always a work in progress. There is a huge breadth of experience here and I'm lucky to have learned so much from so many of you. I learn something most every day and that keeps me coming back. The joy of building is, once you get it down, you can have pretty much any amp you want! This place has become an incredible resource and so many great builds have become part of the history here. I think that's very much worth preserving and when all the kids who have never heard a real tube amp finally figure out what they are missing, we'll all still be here. We've lost our share of good friends too, and that's always sad. Gone, but never forgotten.

As Mr. Baggins said, "I know less than half of you, half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you, half as well as you deserve."
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Yeah I've also been on tons of different forums (is plural really fora? I'll look that up :D) and seen some pretty heavy hives of scum and villainy :)

I appreciate greatly how everyone here is kind, helpful, and even if sometimes a bit crusty, still there to point people in the right direction ;)

I learn something minor daily here and something major on a weekly basis I'd swear :)

Love it.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
didit

Post by didit »

And where's Miles when we need him?

Best .. Ian
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

didit wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:48 pm And where's Miles when we need him?

Best .. Ian
I spoke with him fairly recently, but he has been on "walkabout", if you will.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

It's been a couple weeks since I scanned TAG, and having colossal as a mod looks like an excellent development. You go guy!!!

I'll try to be more of a regular like back in the good ol' days before Boogle goofed things up badly for us. And the admin lost the password... (DUH!)

Best wishes to Phil, good choice matey, and get that ankle feexed.
down technical blind alleys . . .