brexit has really messed up UK amp builders- now with puppy photos

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

brexit has really messed up UK amp builders- now with puppy photos

Post by norburybrook »

So, we in the UK have now left the EU.

so UK amp makers now will find it very hard to be competitive even in the UK home market.

I get a lot of stuff from tube town, and Moser.

Tube town postage instantly went from £10 to £30 and we how have t pay VAT and import duty on top of the the cost of all parts.

Mouser now have a minimum 300 parts for orders to the UK as below that because of the new paperwork duties etc it's not worth it.

Just a disaster for us all here in the UK. One big store in germany will now no longer sent to the UK. The other way round is just as bad too, you can now no longer just make a package and send end it end to end from the UK to Germany or Italy say as it now has to be processed by customs for duties.

As musicians we can now no longer travel freely with our equipment we have to have a carnet for every thing and every country and stop at every border , these now cost a lot of money so as a UK musician it's impossible to do a 'small' gig or some one off club gigs in europe any more.

I'm really not sure what people thought they were going to get when they voted for this.

:(

M

p.s on a lighter note we have a new dog :D
Last edited by norburybrook on Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roe

Re: brexit has really messed up UK amp builders

Post by Roe »

we have partially the same problem in Norway, but our currency is also extremely weak (after the 2014 oil crash)
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Now I can better guess why I have so few replies from UK, about an order I made just before the brexit... :roll:

I'm -*- really -*- feeling like the EU is willing to punish UK for leaving the union(*) but there's not much I can do against that... :(

Can't I even send you a few spare amp parts as a gift?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Bummer. Or bugger. Let's hope that improves some in the future, for now we can still swap electrons freely. Your new four-legged looks great!
NickC

Post by NickC »

I've had to deal with the equipment manifest / 10% of value deposit problem when touring from the USA into Canada. It is a PITA. The first time the we paid the Canadians in US Dollars and they issued the refund two months after we exited ...... in Canadian Dollars worth 30% less.

Been there, done that. Good luck. In time it will all settle out.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

NickC wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:38 pm I've had to deal with the equipment manifest / 10% of value deposit problem when touring from the USA into Canada. It is a PITA. The first time the we paid the Canadians in US Dollars and they issued the refund two months after we exited ...... in Canadian Dollars worth 30% less.

Been there, done that. Good luck. In time it will all settle out.
Imagine doing that in every state though with a carnet/manifest for each one. That's the reality of European countries. It's very easy to go from France to Belgium to Holland to Germany to Italy on a tour, even a low budget one. We will now have to stop at every border on the way out and back again. :(

M
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

One of the things I was confused about, and maybe you can confirm Marcus, was that the population felt the EU regulations were too prohibitive and restrictive thus why the UK wanted to separate. The problem is that, a very large portion of the UK's profit generation comes form exports TO the EU that will still have the exact same regulations required to be sold in the EU... Is that correct? If so, doesn't the whole 'purpose' of the brexit defeat itself?

I'm not very savvy on the whole think, so trying to understand it better... maybe on a forum like this I shouldn't dig into the potential pitfalls of a near political discussion, but I'm looking for more raw data, not a specific ideological stance. :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:00 pm One of the things I was confused about, and maybe you can confirm Marcus, was that the population felt the EU regulations were too prohibitive and restrictive thus why the UK wanted to separate. The problem is that, a very large portion of the UK's profit generation comes form exports TO the EU that will still have the exact same regulations required to be sold in the EU... Is that correct? If so, doesn't the whole 'purpose' of the brexit defeat itself?

I'm not very savvy on the whole think, so trying to understand it better... maybe on a forum like this I shouldn't dig into the potential pitfalls of a near political discussion, but I'm looking for more raw data, not a specific ideological stance. :D

~Phil
One of the biggest reasons for Brexit voters voting to leave the EU was Xenophobia and racism....period. I think a lot of it goes back colonialism and the 'great British empire' so people of a certain generation and social class were propagandised by various means into thinking they were 'taking back control' making Britain great again. There was also the actual number of £350,000,000 per week more to spend on the NHS(health service) if we leave, that figure was on adverts on busses........it's not the case at all.

No one really expected the brexit vote to go the way it did , not least the man who instigated it, the prime minister at the time, David Cameron.....who upon the result resigned leaving Theresa May to step in and try and sort out...she lasted about 1 year until Boris Johnson took the poison chalice and led us into a no deal Brexit where we find ourselves now.

A complete Sh*t storm.

M
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Their are down and upsides for both EU and GB. When the Brexit vote was decided, EU politicians often had a attitude GB had to pay for it big, leaving the EU.
Reality is that it's economies are connected and still need each other. It's a matter of time all kind of trade agreements are made, unfortunatly both sides are in the hard part now.
Upside is a awareness of EU politics and regulations that were more than often not part of a democratic process, silently, behind the scenes setting the democratic process in sovereign countries on the sideline.
I think the crash in 2008 was a major shift in the vulnerability of the EU giving nationalists a platform. The sentiments in GB are also present in a lot of other countries.
United we stand, divided we fall unfortunatly...
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

norburybrook wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:40 am p.s on a lighter note we have a new dog :D
This thread is worthless without pictures. :)
I am a whore for puppy pics.....

Sorry to hear of the expensive supply woes.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

ChopSauce wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:21 pm...I'm -*- really -*- feeling like the EU is willing to punish UK for leaving the union...
I think the EU has been pretty reasonable, all things considered. It runs counter to their interests to make life outside their umbrella a bed of roses for us. It’s certainly going a lot better for the UK than it did for the Southern Confederacy, when they decided to secede. So far, at least.
I’d like to think that Brexit was a nonsensical fantasy sold by Murdoch and the international corporation-government gravy train to a gullible electorate that was hurting from 5 years of an insanely extreme austerity. But then even my big brother, who’s a clever guy and certainly nobody’s fool, voted for it.
Whatever, its implementation is showing the harsh reality of it, ie an extremely retrograde move on almost every front. But I’m relieved that the brexit hotheads lost out on their goal of us leaving on WTO terms, at least the negotiations gave us a basic deal - we pretty much rely on the EU for fresh food over winter - and big manufacturers in the UK may have a basis to carry on here. The reciprocity necessary for us to import German cars, Italian washing machines etc certainly helped to grease the wheels for that happening. It awaits to be seen whether government lackeys to the international corporations will have their way and tie us into secret trade deals their equally secret arbitration courts. The gov seems tied into them for the implementation of any and every policy initiative, despite a track record of waste, incompetence and failure.
The whole system stinks, and with the apparent ongoing public support for the craven liars that swept away any semblance of accountability / credible opposition in 2019, it can only to get worse. The UK is going to be on the wrong side of a feeding frenzy when the monumental debt racked up by the pandemic response begins to get accounted for :evil:
I hope and pray that the EU will be able hold together and keep the pressure on to reform and improve its accountability and transparency. The stresses arising from a combination of brexit, the migrant crisis, Merkel stepping down, grievous societal fractures within France, Spain etc, and now the pandemic and its fallout, might be too much. Something has to get the credit the fact that for the first time in maybe 10,000 years, peace and stability has reigned over mainland Europe; I give the lion’s share of that credit to the influence, political structures and mutual economic and social benefits that the EU provides.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

pdf64 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:22 pm
ChopSauce wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:21 pm...I'm -*- really -*- feeling like the EU is willing to punish UK for leaving the union...
I think the EU has been pretty reasonable, all things considered. It runs counter to their interests to make life outside their umbrella a bed of roses for us. It’s certainly going a lot better for the UK than it did for the Southern Confederacy, when they decided to secede. So far, at least.
I’d like to think that Brexit was a nonsensical fantasy sold by Murdoch and the international corporation-government gravy train to a gullible electorate that was hurting from 5 years of an insanely extreme austerity. But then even my big brother, who’s a clever guy and certainly nobody’s fool, voted for it.
Whatever, its implementation is showing the harsh reality of it, ie an extremely retrograde move on almost every front. But I’m relieved that the brexit hotheads lost out on their goal of us leaving on WTO terms, at least the negotiations gave us a basic deal - we pretty much rely on the EU for fresh food over winter - and big manufacturers in the UK may have a basis to carry on here. The reciprocity necessary for us to import German cars, Italian washing machines etc certainly helped to grease the wheels for that happening. It awaits to be seen whether government lackeys to the international corporations will have their way and tie us into secret trade deals their equally secret arbitration courts. The gov seems tied into them for the implementation of any and every policy initiative, despite a track record of waste, incompetence and failure.
The whole system stinks, and with the apparent ongoing public support for the craven liars that swept away any semblance of accountability / credible opposition in 2019, it can only to get worse. The UK is going to be on the wrong side of a feeding frenzy when the monumental debt racked up by the pandemic response begins to get accounted for :evil:
I hope and pray that the EU will be able hold together and keep the pressure on to reform and improve its accountability and transparency. The stresses arising from a combination of brexit, the migrant crisis, Merkel stepping down, grievous societal fractures within France, Spain etc, and now the pandemic and its fallout, might be too much. Something has to get the credit the fact that for the first time in maybe 10,000 years, peace and stability has reigned over mainland Europe; I give the lion’s share of that credit to the influence, political structures and mutual economic and social benefits that the EU provides.
well said :) I agree 100%

M
norburybrook

Re: brexit has really messed up UK amp builders...now with puppy photos

Post by norburybrook »

right then we've got that out of the way :)

Did I mention the new dog?

meet Charlie the Lurcher, I think he's a 6 month old Whippet/Greyhound puppy. We've re homed him as his last owner couldn't cope..............after 3 days I now know why.....!!!!!

I feel like a shell shock new parent at the moment, sleep deprived, hair unwashed, brain fog, sweat pants...... :mrgreen: people tell me it will be worth it in the long run....

fortunately our old Lurcher Willow (Greyhound /Collie cross) who is now 14 thinks he's great and has been , like she's been all her life just the Zen master ... I wish I was like her at this moment.
IMG_20210124_105717.jpg
IMG_20210124_111434.jpg

M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stelligan

Re: brexit has really messed up UK amp builders- now with puppy photos

Post by stelligan »

Brindle & handsome. Congratulations!
All things must pass.....
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Happy dogs... 8)
pdf64 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:22 pm
I think the EU has been pretty reasonable, all things considered. It runs counter to their interests to make life outside their umbrella a bed of roses for us...
I don't know about the english side of things, to say so, but it is not because you have the power to annoy that you should!

This "no deal" is against EU citizens too. The point is they didn't care about us - hence the "-*- really -*-"... :!:
(we have agreed to conditions with US and the Canada which are -*- very -*- counter our interests, for example)