Epiphone Elitist '57 Goldtop

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

selloutrr

Re: Epiphone Elitist '57 Goldtop

Post by selloutrr »

I just thought about this.. why an epiphone? Some of the best non gibson knock off's where 70's Ibanez and greco they are pennies on the dollar even less then epi and most are built even better!
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
strato17

Post by strato17 »

selloutrr wrote:nice axes! What year is the ES? I've got a late 60's early 70's ES-325 in that walnut brown it's kind cool lots of bark with the mini humbuckers
It has one of the weird serial numbers that puts it in a rage from 1969-1972. Somethings that make me think it is a 69 is the use of the orange label from the Kalamazoo plant, and it also has the really thin 60's neck.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Very cool does it have the characteristic buzz on the bridge? it drives me crazy but i can't bring myself to raise the bridge high enough to stop it because of the string height it plays like butter at the moment but buzzes acoustically not electrically.
strato17

Post by strato17 »

selloutrr wrote:Very cool does it have the characteristic buzz on the bridge? it drives me crazy but i can't bring myself to raise the bridge high enough to stop it because of the string height it plays like butter at the moment but buzzes acoustically not electrically.
Yes.... 100% to everything you said. I had to put a new bridge on it in order to get it to inntonate properly. But there is still a little buzz. But as you said, it is only acoustically.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Abstract

Post by Abstract »

You need a Goldtop with one of each...Humbucker and P90...

[IMG:800:486]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/ ... D8D06C.jpg[/img]
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

nah i just need more guitar!!!! :lol:
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Abstract wrote:You need a Goldtop with one of each...Humbucker and P90...

I'm gonna ask a really dumb question here. I really don't know. Why does the "P-90 have two sets of pole screws? It's a single coil right? Seems though I've seen that pup before.......Bill Lawrence? The blades look like BL too.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I like the Epiphone guitars and in the old days the Ibanez were fantastic. I had a great Univox copy of an Ebony Les Paul Custom that got stolen from me while I was in the Marines. Wish I still had that Univox. I think one of the best little known secrets to Gibson Les Pauls is a model called The Paul made out of walnut, open humbuckers, and the pickup selector is down by the knobs which is an SC style switch. I got mine for $200 in 1980 and have been using it as my main axe since then. It never wears out, just last month replaced the saddles and the only other thing I replaced was the switch and that is why I know you use the SC style switch in this guitar.

I am looking to find another for a spare.

Mark
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

here's my new Lester...

She's Korean.

She came to me via Puro-Later.

I like her!
Abstract

Post by Abstract »

skyboltone wrote:
Abstract wrote:You need a Goldtop with one of each...Humbucker and P90...

I'm gonna ask a really dumb question here. I really don't know. Why does the "P-90 have two sets of pole screws? It's a single coil right? Seems though I've seen that pup before.......Bill Lawrence? The blades look like BL too.

Dan
No dumb questions.

It's a humbucking P90 (side by side). I've only changed strings twice since I got it, and haven't had an opportunity to pull the pups. The bladed pup is an old Bill Lawerence L-500 that works great and I believe the neck is a DiMarzio. It's got either a busted coil or is hooked up wrong and has some microphonic issues but is very warm and pleasant. It will be replaced shortly.
David Root

Finally Bought One

Post by David Root »

Well, I happened to drop by Rainbow Music in Tucson, where I live, yesterday and lo and behold there was my Epi Elitist 57 Goldtop. I checked it out and bought it $1,079 plus the Guv'nor's cut.

Fret ends are not as smooth as I like, but probably OK for most. I like them rolled over a bit. All else is as advertized, it looks and feels like a Gibson with an Epi headstock. NICE quality wood.

Will have to get my 65 SG pups in it and change out the caps to Vitamin Qs (several web posts indicate this is beneficial with the original pups for a more vintage tone, so it should be good with old pups too).
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

Enjoy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
drew

Post by drew »

^ I have a '64 that looks just like that, minus the Bigsby and the pickguard, but with Schallers and considerably more belt rash.
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

Here's me '56...

She's a junior and i love her... :roll: