Op Amp Guru's?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

NickC

Re: Op Amp Guru's?

Post by NickC »

Aurora wrote:Tack some solder to two diagonal pins, - it will help fix the chip in lace before you solder the rest. Just don't rush it......

Thanks for the excellent advice! I was concerned about soldering such small legs to such small amount of real estate.

Much appreciated!
NickC

Post by NickC »

Cliff Schecht wrote:Dang you already ordered those crappy 5532's huh? They're decent op amps but for a few bucks you can dramatically improve the performance with a higher quality Burr-Brown part. I'd have to study the schematic a bit to find an appropriate replacement (or Google around, I'm sure others have done so) but I usually will upgrade op amps if I'm already inside a piece of gear.

The trick is not throwing in whatever op amp but finding a part that will work appropriately in the circuit you're using. If the circuit involves a unity-gain follower, for example then you'll want to use a part that is guaranteed stable when connected as a UGF.
As it turns out, I ordered the wrong form factor. Also won't be able to use the 8-pin DIP sockets I received either. The mechanical dimensions of the 5532D chip I received are too large. I should have ordered a smaller surface mount version, which I sourced today from Mouser: NJM5532M.

Even though there are better op amp chips available, I just want to get this box running again with minimal fuss and muss. I lack the technical knowledge to confidently swap out op amps in the form factor I have to work with, and don't have a legible schematic to work from. I'm winging this repair, with fingers crossed, hoping I can get it working.

In any case, thanks Cliff, I appreciate your insights and will have to explore the world of solid state and op amp swaps in the future.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Nick, while perusing EEVblog forums I stumbled upon this smd soldering video which should help with a few pointers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97bipay ... e=youtu.be