The eagles on tour

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: The eagles on tour

Post by LeftyStrat »

NickC wrote: I saw the Discipline tour at the Agora Ballroom in Atlanta. The sound was pristine! Excellent! And their performance was note perfect.
Wow, I bet that was awesome. The Agora Ballroom was a great venue.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
NickC

Post by NickC »

LeftyStrat wrote:
NickC wrote: I saw the Discipline tour at the Agora Ballroom in Atlanta. The sound was pristine! Excellent! And their performance was note perfect.
Wow, I bet that was awesome. The Agora Ballroom was a great venue.
It was awesome, in the truest sense of the word. This was the set-list:

Discipline
Thela Hun Ginjeet
Red
Matte Kudasai
The Sheltering Sky
Frame by Frame
Neal and Jack and Me
Neurotica
Elephant Talk
Indiscipline
Improv: Drum Solo
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

I've seen a bunch of great shows there; X, The Pretenders first US tour, Ramones, Psychedelic Furs and Ice House. It was originally the Grand Ballroom of Georgian Terrace Hotel, then became Alex Cooley's Electric Ballroom before becoming the Agora. The building burned down in 1987.

The acoustics were perfect. Ice House playing the Prophet 5 sounded gigantic. What a show.
NickC

Post by NickC »

LeftyStrat wrote:I've seen a bunch of great shows there; X, The Pretenders first US tour, Ramones, Psychedelic Furs and Ice House. It was originally the Grand Ballroom of Georgian Terrace Hotel, then became Alex Cooley's Electric Ballroom before becoming the Agora. The building burned down in 1987.

The acoustics were perfect. Ice House playing the Prophet 5 sounded gigantic. What a show.

I've only seen a couple bands there. Flock of Seagulls was one. Crimson was the other.

Saw Zappa, Grateful Dead, and others at the Fox. While the Agora was a smaller venue than the Fox, I liked it better. As you say the acoustics were superb. Also the sight-lines were great.
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

NickC wrote: I've only seen a couple bands there. Flock of Seagulls was one. Crimson was the other.

Saw Zappa, Grateful Dead, and others at the Fox. While the Agora was a smaller venue than the Fox, I liked it better. As you say the acoustics were superb. Also the sight-lines were great.
Did you ever happen to make it down to the 688? Saw an amazing performance by Echo and the Bunnymen on the Heaven Up Here tour. Also saw twice, the most underrated Athens band of all time, Pylon.

Pylon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgez1nZKGoM

Bunch of art students that didn't really know what they were doing. "They were just doing it."

Points for the source of the quote.
NickC

Post by NickC »

LeftyStrat wrote:
NickC wrote: I've only seen a couple bands there. Flock of Seagulls was one. Crimson was the other.

Did you ever happen to make it down to the 688? Saw an amazing performance by Echo and the Bunnymen on the Heaven Up Here tour. Also saw twice, the most underrated Athens band of all time, Pylon.

Pylon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgez1nZKGoM

Bunch of art students that didn't really know what they were doing. "They were just doing it."

Points for the source of the quote.
I knew of the 688 Club. And the infamous Limelight disco (gosh, what a weird place that was).

I went to UGA in Athens. Graduated in 1981. I saw Pylon there. I was in a band called The Dharma Bums. Michael Stipe (R.E.M.) used to come see us at The Last Resort and The Chameleon. I was at the first public performance of R.E.M. They roomed in a burned out former church, converted to student apartments. Peter Buck (guitar) ran a new/used record store called Wuxtry. As a starving student I ended up selling him most of my vinyl (thankfully, because it kept me in grub sometimes). There were a bunch of cool bands in Athens back then, doing a wide variety of genres. The Normaltown Flyers, The Little Tigers, Love Tractor, et al.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Could not sleep last night so I listened to the best of the Eagles late into the morning, what memories. Man these guys could sing and play, wow. :lol:
KellyBass

Post by KellyBass »

Southbay Ampworks wrote:Sick of bozos who mix rock bands like hip hop or rap groups.
Thank you, Jim!!! Spoken like the true expert you are. I saw Lindsey
Buckingham a year back or so, and if I closed my eyes, i coulda swore it was lil' wayne.
This message has been printed using 100% recycled electrons.
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

After making a complaint to the organisers I got politely told to do one, apparently it was the mix was exactly as the band intended and its my ears that are at fault, biggest load of bullshit I have ever heard, who on earth would specify a mix that crap. unbelievable
NickC

Post by NickC »

jestaudio wrote:After making a complaint to the organisers I got politely told to do one, apparently it was the mix was exactly as the band intended and its my ears that are at fault, biggest load of bullshit I have ever heard, who on earth would specify a mix that crap. unbelievable

Back when I did radio, I apologized on-air for a miss-cue. The program director heard it and later chastised me for it. He said "Never admit to making a mistake on the air, instead make the audience think they heard it wrong." True story.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I saw drive by truckers a couple years ago and the mix was unlistenable Drove three hours to see them and bought a hotel room. left before it was over.There was so much bass that it overwhelmed everything.I give up on big live shows
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

cbass wrote:I saw drive by truckers a couple years ago and the mix was unlistenable Drove three hours to see them and bought a hotel room. left before it was over.There was so much bass that it overwhelmed everything.I give up on big live shows
That's disappointing, been wanting to see DBT for a while now.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
Scumback Speakers

Post by Scumback Speakers »

jestaudio wrote:After making a complaint to the organisers I got politely told to do one, apparently it was the mix was exactly as the band intended and its my ears that are at fault, biggest load of bullshit I have ever heard, who on earth would specify a mix that crap. unbelievable
And this is why a lot of music today isn't appealing. Poor mixes, poor judgement, poor standards of quality for fans.

I'm not going to go all goofy on concert mixes, but seriously, the best mixed bands I've seen live in the last 10 years are as follows:

Allman Brothers (Hollywood Bowl, or the Greek, can't remember)
Billy Idol
The Tubes
Heart w/ Jason Bonham's Led Zep Experience
Styx
Scorpions

VH sucked 10 years ago at Staples Center (sorry guys, it is what it is)
The Eagles, ditto.

I could go on, but it's Friday night, I've worked all day and I'm taking my wife out for dinner.

Suffice to say, the guys mixing, and the bands asking for that mix have questionable judgment...period.
Scumback - Guitar Speakers That Kick Ass!
http://youtu.be/u6U30BV2kFM
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
www.scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/
cbass

Post by cbass »

I guess when the crowds standard if sound quality is an mp3 played through an iPhone .the mix really don't make a shit to them.
cbass

Post by cbass »

beasleybodyshop wrote:
cbass wrote:I saw drive by truckers a couple years ago and the mix was unlistenable Drove three hours to see them and bought a hotel room. left before it was over.There was so much bass that it overwhelmed everything.I give up on big live shows
That's disappointing, been wanting to see DBT for a while now.[/quote

It was disappointing like I said I'm done going to concerts