The End of 18Watt.com

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

arwokc

Re: The End of 18Watt.com

Post by arwokc »

Damn,
I guess I'll have to find a new home page for my browser. That was the first site I visited anytime I opened my browser. I was learning so much there too. Oh well, I plan on building a K**** clone for my own pleasure, so maybe I can get some technical advise from these cats. They seem pretty cool. Yea, Zaphod Phil is awesome. He would answer all of my most stupid questions. I actually read the Valve Junior discussions and modified a head per his suggestions. It was pretty cool, but how much can you do to such a simple amp before it becomes something quite different? I use to visit Hoffman's forum. I really like Doug Hoffman. He offers great customer service also. But some of the guys on his forum aren't very newbie friendly. I never had any problems with anyone at the 18watt forum. What a disaster.

Andy
Experience is nothing more than a collection of screw ups.
klingo

Post by klingo »

:cry:
i hope all the posts could be saved somewhere.
DerStever

Post by DerStever »

Sorry to hear about this - I was a regular on that board when I built my two 18 watters - but I 'd heard about the lawyers and such and arguments - don't blame the mods for closing it down. Hope someone revitalizes it somewhere safe.
captain_rusty

Post by captain_rusty »

Damn. I've been a regular lurker - nothing technical to contribute, but I've already immensely improved my basic knowledge on 18watt and here.

Sorry to see it go, and sincere thanks to all those who contributed constructively to the site over the years. :)
summitcity

Post by summitcity »

Man what a disapointment. I want to think the mods at 18watt too. Man that was a cool sight. To bad well enough said. I think this place can pick up some of the slack. An 18 watt section here would be wonderful. That circuit is one of the best and realy suited for homebrews and mods. Sounds wonderful too. This place is fun too. Lets keep it that way.
spankenstrat

Post by spankenstrat »

To bad we couldn't order the 18watt.com DVD collection?!
BBQLS1

Post by BBQLS1 »

Dana-L wrote:Hey guys,

It's good to see you here.

I almost feel like we've been working together at a small company that shut it's doors without warning.

Cheers,

-Dana
I think you hit the nail on the head for me. :cry:
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

In the post-Diaspora world, this board seems to have the largest concentration of knowledgable familiar faces from 18W. However, the focus here seems to be on high-gain amps, something I have zero interest in.
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

I stared going to 18w quite awhile ago... met some amazing people... although i stopped going there after TW's legal crap... outa the blue i decided to check it out the other day and it was gone:( Really shocked me... Makes me kinda sad.. but 18w got huge, and i can't imagine the job it became keeping it running.. and then stress of lawyers on top of it.

lets pray this place stays a nice tight group of friends:) although i havn't been posting much lately.. i still lurk:)

And i do get a bit of joy thinking of TW having to support the 1000's of new people that were getting help on those kits from 18w:) bahahah never giving him another penny...
Hey man, you're leanin on my dream......
gtrwun

Post by gtrwun »

Mr. dB Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:41 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the post-Diaspora world, this board seems to have the largest concentration of knowledgable familiar faces from 18W. However, the focus here seems to be on high-gain amps, something I have zero interest in.
Good to see you Mr db......and all the others from 18. I totally understand your sentiments regarding the high gain amps, although I love them. This place seems to be a wide open book in terms of what it could be......I mean, with a name like the Amp Garage.....anything seems possible. Maybe enough people will migrate here to start a new area for the wonderful 18watt that brought so many good people together? Steve :)
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

gtrwun wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good to see you Mr db......and all the others from 18. I totally understand your sentiments regarding the high gain amps, although I love them. This place seems to be a wide open book in terms of what it could be......I mean, with a name like the Amp Garage.....anything seems possible. Maybe enough people will migrate here to start a new area for the wonderful 18watt that brought so many good people together? Steve :)
Thanks. And point well taken.

Perhaps, instead of a specific 18W section, maybe an area for vintage-style amps in general? Surely I can't be the only old fart left who finds Tremolo to be a more useful feature than a Master Volume? :)
rjgtr

Post by rjgtr »

ZPhil has posted some criptic messages at Trinity and ax84 saying all hope for 18watt is not lost. He's in contact with Graydon and says there's some hope that 18watt will be back if Graydon can figure something out.

I'd suggest you send a short note to Graydon at GDSAmps and let him know how much you appreciate the years of 18watt.com.
Playing an instrument doesn't make you a musician, listening does.
Omar

Post by Omar »

Mr. dB wrote:
gtrwun wrote:

Thanks. And point well taken.

Perhaps, instead of a specific 18W section, maybe an area for vintage-style amps in general? Surely I can't be the only old fart left who finds Tremolo to be a more useful feature than a Master Volume? :)
I'm open to any suggestions to expand the discussions on this fourm. I threw out a feeler earlier in the thread about an 18 watt discussion area, but if you guys think that a vintage area would be good let me know.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

rjgtr wrote:
I'd suggest you send a short note to Graydon at GDSAmps and let him know how much you appreciate the years of 18watt.com.
I am definitely NOT someone who needs to be in direct contact with Graydon right now, my feelings are too conflicted. I appreciate the years that he provided a forum for us, but also strongly resent the way he pulled the rug out from under us this week. And now he's talking about bringing it back? I can't deal with that level of indecisiveness and capriciousness. Is he going to turn off the board every time he loses his temper?

So let someone who is more reasonable talk to him, I'm afraid I'd spoil it.
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

Mr. dB wrote:I am definitely NOT someone who needs to be in direct contact with Graydon right now, my feelings are too conflicted. I appreciate the years that he provided a forum for us, but also strongly resent the way he pulled the rug out from under us this week. And now he's talking about bringing it back? I can't deal with that level of indecisiveness and capriciousness. Is he going to turn off the board every time he loses his temper?
Gabi, Graydon, and the rest of the mods put up with a lot of crap for a long time. Please cut him some slack.