Guitar Gallery Thread! Post 'em up!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

telentubes

Re: Guitar Gallery Thread! Post 'em up!

Post by telentubes »

You can watch Tom Murphy explain and demo his various techniques on Youtube
Mark

Post by Mark »

Do you have a link?

I did a search on Tom Murphy and found there are a whole lot of crusty old business men called Tom Murphy.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Try adding Gibson Custom Shop or some other description. I don't have a link
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Mark wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:41 am Wow, that is a lot of work cutting the finish with a one sided razor blade. I thought they did this sort of thing with freeze spray.

That is a big rap that they are indistinguishable from the real thing. In the past I could usually pick a reliced guitar from the real thing, but I'm seeing and playing fewer vintage instruments these days so I'm not so sure.

So what's private jet travel like?
It's not something I'll experience, I wouldn't have thought MK used a private jet.
I've seen a lot of dreadful 'relic'd ' guitars and some of the Gibson custom shop guitars in music stores have been awful, but we're talking about Tom Murphy with no budgetary restraints making a guitar for a top celebrity guitar player so it's as good as it gets. Interestingly Marks '58 burst has very little checking on it. here's a recent pic in the studio:
IMG_20180727_104428.jpg
IMG_20180727_104413.jpg
Private jets? ….airports and air travel here in Europe is a nightmare with security and just the sheer numbers of people etc private jets take all that hassle away, you just turn up, walk or drive to the plane sat on the runway and you're off in comfort and speed. Land at the other end, walk off the plane into a car and you're on your way. Most 'rock/pop's stars I've worked with use private planes when they can for this reason.

M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

My (late 50s) Hoyer Expo - had an adjustable truss retrofitted about 10 years ago to make it a players guitar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
RWood

Post by RWood »

My Firebird and Thunderbird had a threesome with my Explorer and this is their Korina, Babinga, and African Mohogany love child!
If it don't get hot and glow, I don't want it !
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Here’s the Tom Murphy video

https://youtu.be/leJg1fuIhrY
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

here is the see-thru used to be light blue tele

its mint lime now
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
didit

Post by didit »

We like it. Still .. hope my blue proves more stable.

Best .. Ian
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

This guitar was milky blue and I could tell the color was so so thin. The total film thickness of that finish has shrunken to almost nothing and the clear coat became the dominant factor. It's much more opaque as well. I still love it.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
chief mushroom cloud

Post by chief mushroom cloud »

1967 340
any Rickenbacker luv amongst the MOR here?
I am a big fan of Phil Judd and Peter Banks...just had to get myself one for my birthday

BTW...YES used to be a raging punk band w/ a killer drummer...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDd3ZDTWdRk
Don't overthink it. Just drink it.
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Never noticed this thread before. At least I don't remember it. A lot of cool guitars in here, eh?

Here's a couple I built a few years ago. Strat is a poplar body - very light. Neck is maple w/ebony fretboard.

Tele is a refinished Squier body and a DIY neck - again maple w/ebony. I also upgraded the Tele's ferrules and tuners, and changed the jack-plate. Four position switch on the Tele.

Both bodies finished in DupliColor Linen White - they call it something else now, but the number is the same.

Don't ever believe that the guitar wood doesn't matter w/solid body guitars. The Tele's low E string really booms compares to an ash Tele I built about 10 years ago. Probably made from Paulownia.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

statorvane wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:53 pm Never noticed this thread before. At least I don't remember it. A lot of cool guitars in here, eh?

Here's a couple I built a few years ago.
Very nice!
statorvane wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:53 pm Don't ever believe that the guitar wood doesn't matter w/solid body guitars. The Tele's low E string really booms compares to an ash Tele I built about 10 years ago. Probably made from Paulownia.
Prediction: Reeltarded will be along soon
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

I just finished this one and shipped it to Hawaii.
Swamp ash/ maple, lollars, 6.8lbs
IMG_5907.jpg
IMG_5903.jpg
IMG_5899.jpg
IMG_5898.jpg
xtian

Post by xtian »

Nice!

I just traded my Monkeymatic Trinity #2 for a Carvin TL-60. Love it!

carvin.jpg
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com