Behringer is trash

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Andy Le Blanc

Behringer is trash

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

Its nearly impossible to work on behringer stuff, it looks to be assembled that way on purpose.
Truly a throw away product, even the interconnects are glued together.
Cant even fix the input jack with out destroying SMD components.
If you see a store that carries any behringer product, encourage them not to,
Loudly.
lazymaryamps
Wayne

Re: Behringer is trash

Post by Wayne »

Yup. I dare say that 99% of modern electronics fall more or less in that category - unfixable. I am lucky. I can, to a certain extent, pick and chose what I take for repairs. I'm just trying to fund a hobby. I wouldn't want to try to make my living at it.

W
j-po

Post by j-po »

How do you think behringer should improve their business? I think they are doing good job challenging the old companies that are charging big bucks for old technology. Sure, their equipment is not designed to be worked on. Nevertheless, their Bugera tube amps do not have smd's, unlike some American/British tube amps...
Personally, I'm more concerned with all the smd crap they are putting in our cars. Not so easy to replace a car if something goes wrong.
briane

Post by briane »

Actually you are failing to recognize their business model. You dont repair it you replace it.

The stuff's so cheap the labor costs of repair quickly amount to more than a replacement. Plus you cant work on the stuff, its so tight in there.

Its actually a pretty smart model given the times...overseas manufacturing, everything is crap anyways, walmart, etc...

Where else can you get a working mixer for 49$?
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

I don't like it, its not a healthy way to run an economy. The only purpose
is to fill a market niche. It leads to a false expectation of quality.
And in the long run hurts YOU and ME, you'll see. If the economic region
your in now isn't suffering yet, it will soon. When inflation starts to pick up
you have trouble keeping your self fed, let alone being able to afford
that sort of nonsense. That kind of product pricing, sourcing and service model
will run you out of a job, and keep you out of a job, and already has done
so to a vast number of house holds across the U.S..

DON'T BUY IT
lazymaryamps
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

you get what you pay for

If people weren't so cheap there wouldn't be a behringer
it was created to please the cheap bastard, that's why they are chrome and shiney. stupied people like flashy things.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Bear

Post by Bear »

No matter how good the initial sound quality and performance, the value of products like this die on their inability to be repaired and their short useful life.

There are all these vintage-ish little Champ-like amps on the market for $150-$250-ish, and the cottage industry of upgrade components and mods for them. They have some appeal, but then I think of the going rate for a silver-face Champ, which on a decent score is about the same or not much more money, is easy to modify without worrying about new boards or lifting pcb traces, has quality transformers already, and might even have a decent speaker in it. It'll hold its value, and you have a pretty decent idea of how it will hold up.

If they could build the budget amps to last and be serviceable, it'd help on the value proposition. Heck, needn't be hand wired boards -- I'd be fine with serviceable PCB amps, like PCB Marshalls up into the early JCM-800 stuff. If the overseas labor is cheap enough, why not do it right on the hand-wiring, and splurge on a solid chassis? Anyone do them like that?
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

Me thinks it would cut into profit margin, you only have to train a machine once,
it doesn't need to sleep, eat, or take a potty break.
lazymaryamps
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

even new fender models have suffered from shotty workmanship

i've fix a few dozen of the reissue's that had missed solder traces and wires.. cold solders and wrong part values.

they are assembled in a small town in mexico just south of arizona...

not sure the person beats the machine, for cheap shit. The only difference you pay for the fender name, but quality left along time ago.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
j-po

Post by j-po »

No, sorry. It's producing worthless old products for inflated prices that is running you out of jobs. You need to come up with new desirable products/services if you want to charge top dollar. The industrial revolution and accompanying wealth would never had happened with that kind of attitude.
Andy Le Blanc wrote:That kind of product pricing, sourcing and service model will run you out of a job, and keep you out of a job, and already has done so to a vast number of house holds across the U.S..

DON'T BUY IT
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

This where things run a ground. There are no jobs, the mills are gone or
downsized to little more than bones. There are no jobs, there is next to no
opportunities for gainful employment. Even those who are better off have a look
of fear. The jobs have gone away, the tools have gone with them.
Nothing left but walmart to sop up what remains. There are no new products.
just useless things people make them selves buy to get a self esteem boost.
And lots of scheme's to get them to make payments instead of making a rational choice.

Why does being self-sufficient , and debt free makes you a dead beat?

Why should anyone be compelled to waste cash on a throwaway?
The technology application is wasted on a guitar amp anyway.
All those consumer features in the signal path makes it sound like a wasp in
a beer can when you put next to a drum kit. It's comparing cubic centimeters
to cubic inches, talk about inferior technology, it cant handle the current.
And it suffers from the same basic issue that all consumer SS, and now SMD, audio products have in common,
CRAP TONE.

When you make a product with few to no people in most of the manufacturing
process, there are few to no jobs, eventually those who do not have a
job are gonna get tired of it, and realize they were being fleesed .
Go make something. Do it with people. Do it locally. Do it with QUALITY.
It's the people making it that creates the quality, lasting jobs equals lasting quality.

economic disparity is oppression
lazymaryamps
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

Andy Le Blanc wrote:economic disparity is oppression
I agreed with everything you wrote before this statement. I'm not sure I understand your meaning with this statement, especially in the context of everything else in your post.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

The disparities between labor markets, which is beneficial to the Importer,
exasperates the economic conditions in both markets.

When you have no job, you have no choice's.

When you have no other job, or no way to better your salary or condition.
you have no choice's.

With no real political access on either side, and with a political structure that
is treaty bound, over and above any civil ability to effect political change,
if you are afforded the right's at all, YOU HAVE NO CHOICE.

Service economy my arse, who are you really serving?

With the economic demographics shifting, and unregulated "free market"
attitudes, its only seems fair to the profit taker. your screwed.
lazymaryamps
briane

Post by briane »

Why should anyone be compelled to waste cash on a throwaway?
Well if you dont smash it around it will work forever. Cheap means cant take a beating, not that it breaks for no reason. I got old tascams and behringers that are many, many years old. I take care of my stuff though, which is unusual.

Dont, worry, I agree, the economy is a shiften...

One things americans need to accept is the economic shift, which will be away from manufacturing, and towards information, innovation, and design. its just the ways of the world. For every generation, there is some essential shift the populace must accept in order to survive, and that is ours.

Surprising to many, as the manufacturing is how america originally built itself up. no more.

The only local manufacturing left will be that offers either 1) service that is required and valued, such as for a high end performer, or 2) quality that is miles beyond, including the general local populace's paycheck. Bascially if someone can do it cheapen, faster, then thats where the flocks will go. Its the way of the world.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Behringer's quality per dollar spent is pretty darn high. I own Behringer, Mackie, Rane, Crown, dBx, QSC, etc... Alot of my Behringer stuff has outlasted the 'better' brands and many times it sounds just as good. Most of the illusion that other brands are better, is just that, an illusion. Open up the 'good' stuff and what do you find? SMD components. Marketing goes a long way. Appearance and feel of an item do as well. Just look at the 'quality weights' used in phones for many years.

If you are stating that SMD is bad, I would suggest that you are confused about the real issues or you are brainwashed. SMD is better or every bit as good in almost all but very high voltage applications. Lower stray/parasitic capacitance and inductance make for a more robust, reliable and manufacturable design. Does SMD allow for a higher density of components in a given space? Yes. Is that a bad thing from a performance POV? No. Does it make it harder to repair? Yes. Learn to deal with it. All this stuff can be repaired. There is no magic to working on SMD loaded PCBs. It just takes some common sense. knowledge, and experience. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the fire...