Vox Tonelab ST [?]

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

nickt

Vox Tonelab ST [?]

Post by nickt »

I'm about to be seconded to the UK for work and can't take my AC30 etc. My cunning plan is to take a guitar and a Tonelab ST. Sounds good in theory - amps and cabinets modeled - some effects (which I never use but might be fun) - headphone output - light weight. Trouble is I don't actually own one!!

Now the problem - all the clips I've heard of the ST have that goddawful crappy japanese sound with too much reverb and harsh overly brite tone. The amps modeled are recognisable but ICK!

Is the problem:
a) me :?
b) the clips
c) the ST is crap and I need a better plan
d) all of the above :shock:

Any thoughts (particularly based on experience) would be much appreciated. :D

Thanks
Structo

Re: Vox Tonelab ST [?]

Post by Structo »

One of the neatest gadgets I ever owned was the Rockman headphone amp.
I'm sure they have neater ones than that now.
It had distortion and chorus, but it was in stereo and really sounded good on a cheap pair of headphones. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
benoit

Post by benoit »

nickt wrote:I'm about to be seconded to the UK for work and can't take my AC30 etc. My cunning plan is to take a guitar and a Tonelab ST. Sounds good in theory - amps and cabinets modeled - some effects (which I never use but might be fun) - headphone output - light weight. Trouble is I don't actually own one!!

Now the problem - all the clips I've heard of the ST have that goddawful crappy japanese sound with too much reverb and harsh overly brite tone. The amps modeled are recognisable but ICK!

Is the problem:
a) me :?
b) the clips
c) the ST is crap and I need a better plan
d) all of the above :shock:

Any thoughts (particularly based on experience) would be much appreciated. :D

Thanks
I've played the ST. Not a fan. It's the feel that really kills it for me. I haven't heard anything that really tickles me through headphones. If you have an audio interface you might try guitar rig software, if you run standalone you can get the latency down to where it's usable. The line6 modelling software is liveable as well.
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

Boss micro br...... better than a krog pandora.... and it spits out recordings in mp3. to any inter web connected computer.

Good head phones (really good) and any bolt on neck guitar, break it down,
the body and neck can be padded with clothing in a military duffel bag and go
anywhere.

Its air travel friendly, fisheries, remote site.... works on AA batteries and ac.
And it sounds pretty good too. I've worked in Alaska, can't go no where without
a guitar and stay sane.
lazymaryamps
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

The Rockman was pretty good for its time, but you'll probably have trouble finding one. I had one in the 80s and loved it right up until my drug addict GF pawned if for me. I miss her, the Rockman that is.

I picked up a PODXt a while back cause I got too lazy some nights to carry an amp to rehearsal. There are actually some pretty good sounds in there. Nothing about the sound is superb, but some of the patches are decent. Especially after you tweak the over-the-top effects that are included from the factory. Overall, the XT is fun to play and they are all over the bay for cheap.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

The Rockman was pretty good for its time, but you'll probably have trouble finding one. I had one in the 80s and loved it right up until my drug addict GF pawned if for me. I miss her, the Rockman that is.

I picked up a PODXt a while back cause I got too lazy some nights to carry an amp to rehearsal. There are actually some pretty good sounds in there. Nothing about the sound is superb, but some of the patches are decent. Especially after you tweak the over-the-top effects that are included from the factory. Overall, the XT is fun to play and they are all over the bay for cheap.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Well yes, I wasn't saying go and try to find a Rockman, I just used that as an example.
I'm sure there are much more advanced devices nowadays.

Another toy I bought in the late 80's was called a Kawai Session Trainer.
It basically played midi backing tracks and you played along.
A one man band type thing.
You could make it start and stop with footpedals.

I'm sure there are products out there that would work just as good now.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
nickt

Post by nickt »

Thanks for the thoughts guys - I hadn't considered a Micro BR - hadn't even heard of it - will check it out :D

Much appreciated
fperron_kt88

Post by fperron_kt88 »

Korg Pandora does it for me. Patch 54 emulates some sort of a hiwatt crossed with a dumble. It actually responds properly to various guitar volume settings and pickup positions.

Bear in mind this is the older px4d unit.

The Jam feature is simple and effective (you first record a chord progression and it gets looped over drum and bass patterns to jam over with). However, anything longer than 4 bars at slower tempo gets unbearable quality-wise...

I also have very decent AKG headphones, that helps quite a bit and provide complete isolation from the external world.

A lot of fun to rock-out through a home theater DVD thingy or to get drowned in a beat practicing scales for longer sessions. I actually practiced arpeggios over ii-V-Is for 6 hours straight on a bus ride with it. You cannot imagine the back pain that I had inflicted myself trying to sit in there with a regular sized strat... It runs forever on 3 triple-A batteries.

Sounds horrendous in the front of an amp...
Deric

Post by Deric »

I had a Pandora for a while....I think the PX2 (silver one). Wasn't great but sounded way better than my old Rockman (even though I wish I still had one of those too...just cause). The Pandora was pretty cool. I keep saying if I find one cheap used I'll grab it. Hard to beat for a small practice amp. Plug an iPod into the line in and jam away.... The sounds on there own aren't the great - no substitute for movin' air - but it actually sounded pretty good for quick and dirty direct recording. Also used it direct at church a couple of times and got compliments from the other guitar players....FWIW. The best thing was - it seemed to run FOREVER on a set of batteries. Good headphones are a must...

That said...I currently have a POD. I HATE to admit it but it gets LOTS of use. Think it sound better than the Pandora but not near as portable...doesn't have a line in (although it's easy to add one - I did). Works great for late night practice when the wife and kids are asleep.

The Micro BR is cool if you want to record too....

With my LIMITED experience, If I had to do extended travel tomorrow and just wanted a fun, portable practice amp I'd go buy a new Pandora.
Deric®
nickt

Post by nickt »

Haha - Deric - I love your avatar!

I'm seriously thinking about the Boss Micro BR - best "try before buy" though.

I'm such a luddite... :shock:
nickt

Post by nickt »

Update: canned the ST and started looking at BOSS Micro BR and the Line 6 Pocket Pod. Thanks to the guys who suggested these.

As with restaurant orders and anything else requiring a decision I went all "funny" in the guitar shop and purchased something totally different than I came for. :roll:

I'm now the proud(ish) owner of a Vox AC30 Amplug - sadly it's exactly like an AC30 ...when setup the WRONG way to get a great tone!!! Augh!!!

Yes it sounds like an AC30... with both bass and treble turned up and cut full up as well. Gritty bitey harsh rattly clangy nasty... sigh... this is the default crap sound - you can turn it up or down make it boomy or ice-picky - but ya can't fix it with the three controls provided...

Now... I'm suspicious my senheiser head phones may have drawn more current than the poor little bugger could supply, there was no way to get a thump out of muted strings or any warm bass... low voltage maybe? high current draw? ... so next stop is some pluggy earphones and pair of fresh batteries.

I'm an optimist - so more later... :D

Update: so the more later is - proper earbuds and fresh batteries make a big difference but still nowhere near my idea of a good AC30 tone.

I'm guessing that the harshness might be "not too bad" when you play along with a backing track - next port of call shall be - try that...
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Whereabouts have you been sent to over here?
If you get withdrawal and need a refresher, there is a rather fine Express Clone here that you are more than welcome to give a burst.
I am just south of Peterborough on the A1(M) if you are using a car. This equates to about 1 hour North of London.

I have a tremendous weekend coming up. I collect none other than our very own Ron Worley from Heathrow on Thursday. I am hoping to take him off on Friday to meet Martin Whelan of MJW Amps http://www.mjwamps.com/ and then on to meet my friends at Matamp http://www.matamp.co.uk so that he can see the "experience" that is a trip to the Matamp Factory :wink:

I can just imagine what he is going to have to say about this once he returns Stateside.

Anyway, if you do need a chance to refresh the ears, let me know.

Cheers
Rob
The Last Of The Old Contemptibles
MCK

Post by MCK »

Why not go with nothing and score something from UK.?