Email service

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Jana

Email service

Post by Jana »

I am interested in opinions on email service. I have been using Gmail for quite a while but this whole Buzz situation has really soured me on them.

Is there an email service that provides just a solid service that is compatible with POP and IMAP? No bells and whistles, just secure, reliable, private email. I would even be willing to pay a reasonable fee for it.

There is an email account with my ISP but I rarely use those since I want an email that will go with me and not be cancelled if I switch ISP.

Anybody heard of Zoho? Any good?

Thank you.
Structo

Re: Email service

Post by Structo »

I just use Outlook Express that comes with Windows.
A lot of people say mean things about it but it has never failed me.

You just have to enter the setup numbers and away you go.

I have tried others and did not care for them.

I have comcast cable internet and I have never used their mail service.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

Hey Jana,

I use hostmonster for my web hosting and all their services are top notch. The price I pay for unlimited hosting is quite small and I get great email service through them as well, that is if you don't mind administering to your own email accounts.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

I ran into that buzz thing too, surprising. Otherwise I'm so used to crap
service I don't notice. Email will be an APP you purchase extra per month
in the contract from your TV provider, just like your cell, before you know it.
just wait for the right app.
lazymaryamps
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Just curious, Jana - what's your issue with Buzz? I'm a gmail user as well, and I noticed last week or whatever that there was a new feature called buzz. Much like the chat, scheduling, and several other features offered by Google, I decided it was something I didn't need and ignored it.

W
Structo

Post by Structo »

There was something in the news recently about the Buzz thing.
Can't remember the details but a lot of customers were pissed.
Something about user privacy.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-10454683-265.html
Tom

Jana

Post by Jana »

Thanks for the input everyone.

The Buzz thing--I still haven't figured it all out, which bothers me somewhat, lol. But from what I gather when google activated the Buzz feature they had it set so that you were automatically signed up for it and you had to opt out. not the other way around--opt in. Plus, it wasn't entirely clear how you were to opt out, even if you knew that you wanted to. As a result, and I don't understand all this "following someone" concept, but a lot of information that people that was private, like contact lists and etc. all of a sudden became public. I think google did some back pedaling. Still, who the hell is running their privacy department?

I was spared, I think, from most of the hassles because I don't keep a contact list on google. I rarely log into the web based part of the email. I set up a mail program (Apple Mail) and access my email that way with Imap or Pop. My contacts are stored on my computer.

But, my paranoid self asks, how much information from my actual emails are they farming from me?

While this whole social networking thing like Facebook, MySpace, Buzz, or whatever has its place and a lot of people enjoy it, it's not for me and I don't want it forced on me.

I do have email and web space available from my ISP (Charter). That disappears though if I cancel my charter service. Not planning on it anytime soon but stuff happens. Service goes down the tubes, a better deal comes along, etc. I would like an email address that gives me the benefits of a service like through an ISP but is portable and stays with me if I switch. Probably will have to be a pay service since most of these free ones are loaded with crap that they make money on. Ads, ill-conceived social networks, things like that.

Dartanion, I will check out hostmonster.

Final thoughts--when everyone is out to get you, paranoid is only being careful.
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

paranoid schizophrenic's have enemies two ....

You have to remember that you are a consumer, if you want privacy
your gonna have to pay for it. The internet is the new media and will have to
generate ad revenue whether you want it to or not. The real solution to
privacy issues is quickly becoming removal of all modern electronics from
your life. I wasn't kidding about an internet ready TV you sign a contract for.

I'd stick with the g-mail for now, its nice to have a free service that doesn't
bombard you with ad's.....Do you really think they're NOT watching you?
That would be crazy....:shock:
lazymaryamps
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Andy Le Blanc wrote:paranoid schizophrenic's have enemies two ...
Andy's right. As Richard Nixon said, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that somebody isn't out to get you." :wink:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
Structo

Post by Structo »

Pretty sure Google shares information to national security agencies.

There was a big flap about that a few years ago.

Basically, Google phones home about your web habits.
I can't remember if they stopped doing that or not but never doubt that big brother is watching you.

I think the file is SWG Google Toolbar Notifier.

I have tried to eliminate it in the past by either deleting it or renaming the file but it always comes back.
Even if you take it off the startup menu it will work around that.
Tom

dr. who

Post by dr. who »

I was too lazy to ditch gmail...I just went to the settings and clicked on the
"Buzz" section and hit the red text to get rid of buzz...it worked and I'm back to where I was before "Buzz" came along.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I looked quickly at my "Buzz" today, and it looked like it hadn't been configured to do anything. I'll leave it like that. I do understand that the original roll-out of the feature was "opt out" rather than "opt in" and that pisses some people off.

I had also never heard about Google sharing info with security agencies. I have run across the Toolbar Notifier, but was able to either uninstall it or neuter it with Spybot Search & Destroy - don't remember which method worked for me.

W