Electroplex Rocket 90

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Electroplex Rocket 90

Post by M Fowler »

Are the Electroplex Rocket 90 very good amps? There is one for sale at the local amp store.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bear

Re: Electroplex Rocket 90

Post by Bear »

What's the price?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

$1400
Bear

Post by Bear »

I don't know the market for Electroplex right now, but that doesn't look like a bargain price to jump on. If it was $1k or so, I would have more confidence of being able to flip it quickly, not for the profit but to get your money back. Might be a fair price if you like it, though.

I think the murmurs of "budget Dumble" have subsided because they have little to do with the circuits. I always heard they were really good sounding, though, but more for putting credible BF Super and Plexi Marshall sounds together in one package. They use a small pcb board with flying leads, including to chassis-mounted tube sockets. Don't know anything about the PCB quality, like if they are built to last or if issues come up with the tight trace layout. Frankly, the Soldano-designed Jet City amps have a more confidence inspiring trace layout from pics I've seen, although I don't know about the durability of their boards.

Doubt that helps, but it's what I know or kinda know.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I just never knew anything about the amps until I googled it and everytime I'm at the store its still there. I figured if it was of value people would have snatched it already.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

http://www.mulhern.com/pdfs/electroplex_flier.pdf

it looks like a neat amp. More of a buy toplay then an investment. Nothing wrong with that! If you want it and it's been there awhile offer $1100 agree on $1250 and call it a day!
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

If you really want it $1400 is not a bad price harmony reviews put the rocket series between $1600 - 3600. Depending on configuration head / cab 2x12 / 4x12, combo 2x12 / 4x10.

They are made in brea California.

Music stores are a strange place for boutique mom and pop amps. Kids go in wanting to be the next guitar hero so they want what's popular not necessarily what sounds the best. It's probably a great sounding amp priced just a bit out of the reach of most beginners and next to another amp ie Marshall that shifts the focus. Besides if it's not new the sales guy isn't making a commision on the sale so he isn't pushing the product.
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

I met the owner of Electroplex last year at the LA amp show. They were out of production for a while and now making amps again. He was interested in using Fanes, so that's how I met him. Haven't heard anything back from him in many months, so who knows what is going on there. They do seem pretty decent.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

This amp is a head. One of the owners of the store now lives in Arizona and he has been selling off some of his amps.

He still has a bandmaster there for $750 and won't take less.
Bear

Post by Bear »

M Fowler wrote:He still has a bandmaster there for $750 and won't take less.
I've got such a mental block about how much the price of some Fenders has gotten to be. I remember when Bandmaster heads were $200-ish, period. A good brownface head might realistically be worth that today, but I would be unwilling to pay that because of the range stuck in my head from 10+ years ago.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

It's crazy huh! Growing up in Seattle it was the last stop for most tours so bands would off load gear as it was cheaper to buy it again then pay shipping. Fenders were so cheap and plentiful it was almost not cool to own one. It's still the cheapest place to find music gear besides drug addicts.
benoit

Post by benoit »

Mark I played that thing a while back, don't remember being terribly impressed. Have you fired 'er up?
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Ben I just look at it every time I come in and have not fired it up probably because I don't want to buy any amps right now.

Too busy building my own.
benoit

Post by benoit »

M Fowler wrote:Ben I just look at it every time I come in and have not fired it up probably because I don't want to buy any amps right now.

Too busy building my own.
Haha, that's what I tell my wife. "If you want me to stop jonzin for gear all I need is 10 or 15 amps and a new build every month or so."
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery