I want a 335!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

oldmacman

I want a 335!

Post by oldmacman »

I'm looking for something like a 335.

$1000 or so would be my max price.

Anyone have any opinions?
sliberty

Re: I want a 335!

Post by sliberty »

I have a really nice Epiphone Riviera from the mid 90's. Usually, a Riviera has mini-buckers, but in the mid 90's they went with full sized pickups. They also used their better stuff in this guitar - I feel no need to replace them. I picked it up used for $400. New Epi's like this run about $600.

http://music.sliberty.com/images/epiRiviera.jpg

The Epi Elitist line has some nice semi's including a 63 Dot. They run in the low $1k range I think.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I also like the Fender Esprit line. I bought my Ultra (spruce top) for less than your budget. They were made in the mid '80s and later became the basis of the Fender Custom Shop Robben Ford model - which, still later, became a staple of Baker Guitars. The Esprit is more the size of a Les Paul, has hollowed tone chambers, and is considerably lighter than my ol' ES-335 and ES-347.

See also the Yamaha knock-offs of the 335 design. Ibanez did some nice work in the '80s as well.
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

Don't forget Heritage Guitars. Still made in Kalamazoo, MI, by the same guys that built the older Gibsons. You can find a great price on an H-535. I paid exactly $1000 for mine, with case.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Take a look at the Hamer Newport. I just got one, and it is a fantastic guitar. Used, they go in the 1000-1100 range. Workmanship is outstanding.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I'd forgotten Heritage. Thanks for adding that.

Some of the biggest things that I noticed when playing many of these various guitars are neck profile, balance, and control layout. Those are things that, if you don't like them, are not easy to change. Tuners and pickups are simple to modify.

Enjoy the quest.
oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

Thanks for all the replies!

I'd forgotten about the Epi Elite. Never gotten to play one.

What about the Gibson ES-333? I played one a few years back and enjoyed it, although it wasn't nearly as good as the "real" 335 I compared it with.

What did you think of the necks on the guitars you mentioned? I like medium-thick ones - some of the 335's I've played have had necks that are way too thin.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

My favorite neck is on the Fender Esprit Ultra. The necks on my Ibanez AM-205 and the Heritages that I've played seemed to have more of a U-shaped cross section that didn't work as well for me.

Next favorite necks - but stretching the scope of the thread - are on my G&L Bluesboy and my mid-80s Tokai "Strat".

I agree with your impression of the 333 - it doesn't compare favorably in many areas.
Last edited by Zippy on Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bear

Post by Bear »

I wouldn't have thought much of them a while ago, but you might take a look at the Ibanez Artcores. I was pleasantly surprised by their floating-pickup jazz box model, which is the top of the line for this range at about $750. It wasn't just good for a Chinese guitar, it was good for any guitar, and did the jazz box thing with a lot of class for that price - If I hadn't seen the tag, I wouldn't have known it wasn't a George Benson model or similar. I'd try a few of the semi-hollows to see if they spark something similar. Don't want to get into the politics of Chinese manufacture or anything, but if you've got no problem there, don't discount these guys just because they're cheap. Money saved can go into setup, aftermarket pickups, and another amp build.

Bear
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

I went to the Guitar show this morning here in Marin County and saw a bunch of pretty nice stuff and a bunch of trash. Anyone here collect Kay guitars?

Anyway, I came away pretty impressed with the D'Angelico line of Japanese and Korean guitars. Their Excel is similar in intent to the ES-335 and retails around the $1450 mark I think. The Heritage is I think the benchmark for the class of guitar you are looking for though (I sure like them). If you can get to a place to play one of the D'Angelicos it's an alternative.

The Excel has a label inside that says "Proudly made in Inchon". Wow.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Normster

Post by Normster »

Bear wrote:I wouldn't have thought much of them a while ago, but you might take a look at the Ibanez Artcores. I was pleasantly surprised by their floating-pickup jazz box model, which is the top of the line for this range at about $750. It wasn't just good for a Chinese guitar, it was good for any guitar, and did the jazz box thing with a lot of class for that price - If I hadn't seen the tag, I wouldn't have known it wasn't a George Benson model or similar. I'd try a few of the semi-hollows to see if they spark something similar. Don't want to get into the politics of Chinese manufacture or anything, but if you've got no problem there, don't discount these guys just because they're cheap. Money saved can go into setup, aftermarket pickups, and another amp build.

Bear
+1

I have an Artcore AS83 with Gibson '57 Classic pickups (Classic Plus in the bridge). I'm not going to get into any Gibson comparisons here, but it's a great playing and sweet sounding guitar. For a total investment of $600, it's pretty hard to beat.
pamaz67

noteworthy guitar

Post by pamaz67 »

Just to tell you that in the 80's there was a IBANEZ named LR10 (lee ritenour model) .
If you can find one, try it because it's one of the best "no frills" 335 style gutars ever built.
IMO the only thing to improve is the neck pickup, with a "smoother one", like the SD SH2N Jazz model or a paf style thing.
For any other aspect is something close to a dream both aesthetically than as per playabilty
Ciao

Paolo
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

I guess you saw this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Headstock repair (ouch) but very affordable.

I keep coming back to the ES-135 Limited Addition. I have not received mine yet but at $700, given the reviews on Harmony Central and other venues, I just can't imagine it won't fill my needs. I'll sure keep you posted Macman.

http://tinypic.com/23rohm8.jpg

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
fred_farkel

Re;335

Post by fred_farkel »

Hi Oldmacman. I use a Gibson ES 347 from time to time and have played my friends Epiphone 335. It would be a toss-up between the two. Its my opinion one should play everything you can. You'll know when you have found the right one, it will just feel right to you.
oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

Has anyone played the Squier Esprit? It's supposedly pretty close to the Fender Robben Ford, and the reviews look good, assuming you get a good one.

I played a Heritage 535 the other day and loved it - if one were available for $1000 or under, I would definitely consider it.