Motorcycles and musicians

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Justsaymo

Motorcycles and musicians

Post by Justsaymo »

One of my brother Ken's early jobs was fixing motorcycles. Riding was his favorite thing, outside of amps and music. I've noticed that an unusual amount of his musician buddies also had bikes. Motorcycles and guitars seem to go hand in hand. He taught me to ride when I was 12 and I owned bikes before cars. So I'm curious, how many of you own bikes and what kind?
Gibsonman63

Re: Motorcycles and musicians

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Interesting observation. In almost all of my bands, someone in the band had a bike. I went through my Harley phase a few years ago, 2002 FatBoy. Honestly, I got just as much enjoyment out of my Honda CB400 when I was a kid, but my wife won't ride with me on anything other than a Harley.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have been riding since a kid all kinds of mini bikes and the usual Honda 55 trial, super 90, 175, 450, 750 and more.

Currently own a 1989 Harley soft-tail custom, 1984 Honda Goldwing, Yamaha YZ 125, and I am building a custom mini hard tail mini chopper for my grand kids using Lifan 200cc, springer, Harley Sporster tank, Honda Silverwing 16 inch tires.

Hot rods and motorcycles go with Rock N Roll
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Longtime rider (since the late '60s) - current bike is a silver 2002 BMW R1150RS (sport touring).
jhaas

Post by jhaas »

I have a couple old harleys, '66 XLCH and a '72 FLH, and during the 10 years I put the guitar down, i was hardcore into riding and wrenching on the bikes.

Then a few years back I moved cross-country, was re-inspired to play music, got blind-sided by the amp building bug, and this summer, for the first time, the bikes never made it out of the garage.

...but it's all fun, so it's all good.
KellyBass

Post by KellyBass »

These days, just my Triumph TR6C (see avatar). So in reality, more wrenching than riding. :wink:
This message has been printed using 100% recycled electrons.
JamesHealey

Post by JamesHealey »

Getting insurance in the uk as a 25 year old on a bike is expensive plus you have to ride smaller bikes for 3 years. my father is big into bikes nearly claimed his life 2 years ago. So not only is it hard to get a bike for me the wife would kill me. So no bikes for James but i do admire them.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I used to ride street bikes but had a close call and decided that drivers in my area didn't pay attention at all and that I was living on borrowed time..... :x
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Justsaymo

Post by Justsaymo »

Nice variety showing up here! Interesting tidbit for the bikers...I asked Peter Fonda once what happened to the Capt. America bike from Easy Rider. He said that between the time the movie filmed and came out, he put the bike in a storage locker in Taos and someone broke in and ripped it off. He said they chopped it and sold it for parts, not realizing it would soon be famous and valuable.
Buschman

Post by Buschman »

I like to play with old BMWs. At the moment a 1979 r100rt and a 1972 r75/5 that is in milk crates.
I've got blisters on my fingers!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Those famous choppers were both built by a great bike builder an African-American guy that never got the credit he deserved for building those bikes. .......And of course I have forgotten his name as well. :D

Mark
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

I went a different route I grew up around sport bikes and momo girls. My best friends older brother was really into track bikes. Currently my garage stores a 2007 Ducati 749R. I'm pretty tall so it's not a long distance bike.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Justsaymo

Post by Justsaymo »

M Fowler wrote:Those famous choppers were both built by a great bike builder an African-American guy that never got the credit he deserved for building those bikes. .......And of course I have forgotten his name as well. :D

Mark
Was it a guy called Tex? Not sure of the last name.
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

You guys talking about Ben Hardy who built the Captain America bike for the movie Easy Rider?
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

Geez haven't Vincent prices gone up though?

I had a demented idea between the raindrops the other day... a Vincent chopper / streetfighter. I know exactly how I'm going to do it.
I believe in this and it's tested by research...