Gibson ES-125 GAS

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

skyboltone

Gibson ES-125 GAS

Post by skyboltone »

I got GAS.
Anybody gigging an ES-125. Which one, the Thick body? Thin body? cutaway? One or two p-90s?

There's one around here priced right but I want to know how to approach it.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Zippy

Re: Gibson ES-125 GAS

Post by Zippy »

Here're a couple:

http://www.mandoweb.com/7_SemiHolloThinline.htm

These were fairly low budget guitars in their time. Whether they'd work for your application is a tough call. Lots of mojo tho'.
skyboltone

Gawd!

Post by skyboltone »

Holy Cow:
I need to sell something quick.

Ebay: 250015035379

http://cgi.ebay.com/1965-Gibson-ES125-T ... dZViewItem

Hold me back bubba.....

Dan
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
BobW

Post by BobW »

That's the same model George Thoroughgood (sp?) uses. So that gives you an idea of one of the the tones possible. I used to own an ES330 w/ 2 P-90s and it got a great bluesy tone, similar to the ES125, but broke up a little earlier. Plus it required me to develop my own Rt hand muting technique to control the feedback.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

BobW wrote:That's the same model George Thoroughgood (sp?) uses. So that gives you an idea of one of the the tones possible. I used to own an ES330 w/ 2 P-90s and it got a great bluesy tone, similar to the ES125, but broke up a little earlier. Plus it required me to develop my own Rt hand muting technique to control the feedback.
I didn't know that about G Thoroughgood. He certainly gets that nasty sound. I need to play one and fall in love before plunging that deep with my budget. There are lots of es-135s around with P-100s or even P-90s at much smaller prices and not bad guitars either. Especially with that block of mahogony in there. Still, there's the collector value. Gibson made thousands of ES-125s over the years, in probably maybe 7 or 8 iterations from late 40s till mid 60s. I don't doubt that the rarest would be that TDC. Kind of a cartoon red.

I think any US Gibson or Fender will collect ultimately. There is not one guitar in my past that hasn't increased in value dramatically since I pissed it away for stupid stuff like rent and groceries. Or worse. Now that I'm a retired geezer I aim to buy.....never sell.

Anyway, a new Heritage Prospect goes for $1289. $200 to Jason Lollar for P-90s and rock on! Am I a collector or a player? There's where the wisdom lies I think.

Dan
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

skyboltone wrote:There are lots of es-135s around with P-100s or even P-90s at much smaller prices and not bad guitars either. Especially with that block of mahogony in there.
It may have changed since the first issue, but the first ES-135s of the '80s had a block of something more akin to balsa. There are several of them around that have an imprint of my thumbnail in them because I was not yet familiar with the wood that they cited for the midblock. They are certainly much lighter than a 335.
Noel Grassy

ES-125

Post by Noel Grassy »

Mine is a 1956 with uniform checking all over[except the neck for some reason] and only a single P-90. I bought it when I was reviewing my Rock A Billy chops and it was one of those axes that call to you in the guitar shop. It was so made for me[that feeling all instruments you keep should engender IMHO]It chugs like Thoroughgood or Deke Dickerson's rythum stylee & a little attenuation to the tone knob and I can sit back in the mix as a chilly jazz luminaire[yeah not quite with the chops] the tone is universally appealing on the P-90 equipped ES-125's. Oh Yeah, plug in to a high gain amp and all the above has the scent of a full bedpan rather quickly. I can't prevent the amature sounding feedback worth a hoot! Prolly why Geo Thoroughgood's is the narrah one! They're the last of the '50's Gibbos to appreciate in value so it's a real plus if your fundage is lacking. The soft shell cases are the only big bummer.
All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare__B Spinoza
skyboltone

I'll be darned

Post by skyboltone »

Well,
I been throwing lowballs at guitars all day out of boredom. Be darned if I didn't get one. But it ain't a 125. It's probably a better guitar for my needs anyway. The guitar doesn't have much figure but I can't imagine it's not worth what I paid.

Take a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Ebay# 190014937455
doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

Congrats, that looks like a good deal, case and all.
fred_farkel

gibson 125

Post by fred_farkel »

If you like the Gibson125 you might want to look at a gibson 225. Pretty much the same body but some of them came with two pickups, not just one. I play a jam session now and then for jazz players and there's this guy who plays a double pickup 225. Sweet, very sweet and a real nice playing guitar. Hope this helps.