Math and calculators

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Cliff Schecht

Re: Math and calculators

Post by Cliff Schecht »

vibratoking wrote:I use Mathcad and Matlab quite often. Both are very good tools in different ways. Just different tools in the toolbox. The right tool for the right job.

I find remembering formulas to be helpful in several ways. It makes things a lot faster. I can get on with the real problem and not waste time digging up the formula that I need to solve the problem. Formulas also give you, or me, insight into how things really work. Formulas often provide me with the link to a real understanding of how things work, not just a lifeless equation that numbers should be plugged into. Of course, this will only happen for you if you make sure to evaluate the equations and derive the real meaning.

Yes, I am an engineer. :)
I tend to memorize the important stuff myself, it really does help expedite the design process. Understanding what each part of an equation does and how the units play into each other is definitely a critical part of EE. I think formulas are relatively useless if one doesn't fully (or at least partially) understand how it's derived.

I don't use any MathCad but Matlab is a big part of school nowadays, even for analog designers. Lots of useful tools built in too.

Wolfram Alpha is an amazing reference/calculation website as well. It's kind of like Google for math that will solve pretty much anything you throw at it. Check it out, I use it quite often! http://www.wolframalpha.com/
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

+1 to Matlab and Wolfram Alpha.

Maple is another great program too, worth checking out if you haven't heard of it.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Wow!
That Wolfram is awesome!

Thanks for that link, I can see wasting hours looking stuff up. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
benoit

Post by benoit »

If you think that's sweet, give Wolfram Mathematica a whirl. The numerical solving rivals matlab and the like, but where it really shines is in it's visualization and symbolic computation capabilities. I love a good approximation as much as the next engineer, but I love exact answers even more.
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery