Things to do in Texas..

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

benoit

Things to do in Texas..

Post by benoit »

I'm going to be going to a friend's wedding in Waco over the Christmas break, and I was wondering if anyone had any must-see sights to recommend. Wouldn't mind Amp/Guitar related suggestions, but my wife'll be with me so I certainly can't stick to ONLY those sorts of things. I'll be in Austin and San Antonio for a few days each after the wedding. Sort of a broad question, I know, but I'd rather get the advice from a real human being than try to wade through the mostly-useless "come visit our city" type websites.

Ben
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery
Cliff Schecht

Re: Things to do in Texas..

Post by Cliff Schecht »

A bit south of Waco in Belton is a BBQ joint called Schoepfs that I'd highly recommend. I've been going there since I was a kid and still order the same thing, mesquite smoked sirloin steak. This is one of those places that the sauce makes the BBQ, even though the meat is fantastic by itself. Couple these with free beans, bread and a great atmosphere. Another place that is a bit outside of Austin (in Taylor) is Louie Muellers BBQ, one of the best in Texas. I haven't been there in a year or so but it's the type of place that one guy wakes up at 4:00 AM to start cooking and they serve until they are out of food (usually around 3 or so). Mmmm.. I'm making myself hungry..

If you are in Austin and want to check out the nicer music stores, go to Guitar Resurrection on 183 and Lamar and then roll down to Barton Springs and Lamar to visit the 5 or so guitar shops that are along this stretch of road. You start at Music Makers, hit up Heart of Texas (where SRV bought his number 1) and the super cool vintage shop around the corner (they have one of the biggest collection of vintage amps that I've seen) and keep going until you hit 270 and see Strait music on your left. I still make this run almost every time I'm in Austin.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

If you have an extra ten minutes, you can visit the Alamo. Amazingly small for the history behind it.

Seriously, I don't get to Austin or San Antonio often so I can't make specific recommendations, but no visit to south Texas is complete without some authentic Tex-Mex. Don't bother with the chain resteraunts, hold out for the real deal.
billyz

Post by billyz »

See Redd Volkaert at the Continental club.

http://www.reddvolkaert.net/default.html
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Ben don't go near the Board Walk in San Antonio :lol:

Have a great trip buddy!
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

billyz wrote:See Redd Volkaert at the Continental club.

http://www.reddvolkaert.net/default.html
I still haven't seen Redd live :(. I've been wanting to see him for a good 5 years now, he's one of my favorite pickers.

Alamo Draft House is always a blast as well. They're all over Austin so you'll probably be near one no matter where you are. Movie+beer+good food (delivered while you watch) is always fun.

Barton Springs/Zilker Park is cool if you have kids and need to wear em out.
wicker

Post by wicker »

There's SRV statue in Austin 8)
Paul
billyz

Post by billyz »

Tacos at Torchy's on south 1st street. Home slice pizza on south congress. Tour the Capitol bldg (free). Stay away from 6th street at night if you value your life and have family with you.

See Carolyn Wonderland at the Saxon .
http://www.carolynwonderland.com/
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

Gotta say BillyZ's nailed it.
Redd is a helluva great guitarist, as is Carolyn, and they're both very cool folks. Carolyn's about as close to Janis as you're gonna get this side of the hereafter (vocally, don't know about the other proclivities).
Go on up the road a little (183) to Lockhart (about 30 minutes) and there are about 4 of the best barbecue joints on the planet all within 5 minutes of each other.
<i> "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn."</i>
Big Jim

Post by Big Jim »

I checked out the Heart of Texas shop in Austin when I was there. I started talking to the salesman and out pops the owner. Heck of a nice guy. He told me SRV used to come in every afternoon & flogg that Strat real loud. He told me after he closed up he would drive Stevie Ray downtown to sit in in the clubs...Finally he just gave SRV that #1 strat. He also told me one time he had to go pick up Stevies girlfriend up in a bar because he "forgot" her there! I don't know how much truth there is to any of this, but it kinda made my trip there. :D
Jim
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Carolyn Wonderland is a real badass. I've always wanted to see her live but I'm usually stuck in Lubbock when she's playing.

Lockhart has some good BBQ, yes it does. I don't know if Neon Radio is still out there but my dad and I would pop out there and buy tubes from him every once in a while. I only got to go out there a few times before I knew what I was doing but still managed to pick up some cool stuff (50's Stancor PT's, lotsa old NOS tubes and sockets, etc..). If he's still out there his prices are fair and he has a MASSIVE collection of antique radios, the biggest I've ever seen in person OR on the web.

Oh and don't forget to go to Mangia and get a Chicago style wheat crust pizza with your favorite toppings. Absolutely delicious. Actually there is a lot of good pizza in Austin. Pok-e-Jo's are also great for a quicker but still good BBQ experience.

Anybody else miss Deleware subs?

Edit: Thanks guys, now I just miss Austin :(.
DonMoose

Post by DonMoose »

Austin:

Bert's BBQ on Far West - pork ribs

Maudie's (Tarrytown location only) - tex mex

The Mason Jar - a steamed artichoke with the yellow/curry sauce for your lady, a chicken fried steak for you.

The used guitar shop next door to The Saxon was pretty cool

San Antonio:

Las Palamitas - tex mex - get the puffy tacos

Mi Tierra - tex mex - downtown, but 24 hours
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

You guys are making me hungry :)

Luckily, I have some delicious leftover fish tacos in the fridge, made with beer-battered, fresh-caught red snapper - Yummmmm 8)
Buschman

Post by Buschman »

Definitely go see Red. Then on Sunday afternoon it's Chicken shit bingo at Little Ginny's bar. If you are lucky Dale Watson will be playing.
I've got blisters on my fingers!
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

don't smoke weed in texas it's practically punishable by death.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge