Earthquake East Coast

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ToneMerc

Earthquake East Coast

Post by ToneMerc »

Anyone else feel the mid atlantic quake?
NickC

Re: Earthquake East Coast

Post by NickC »

I'm on the third floor of a downtown office building in Syracuse. It was rocking and rolling. Filing cabinets swaying, boxes on top moving ..... very, very noticeable and more-than-a-little unsettling.

Preliminary USGS says 5.9 with epicenter near Louisa, Virginia.
jelle

Post by jelle »

I felt it in the NYC area (NJ). Was weird. My cabinets with resistors started wiggeling.

I hope nobody got hurt. I'll check the news right away.

Jelle
srubelva59

Post by srubelva59 »

I'm just south of DC and my house rattled pretty good. Grabbed my dog and hoofed it out of the house to see all my neighbors doing the same. Don't see that kinda thing around here.
tele caster

Post by tele caster »

I felt it half hour north of Toronto. Two short vibrations a couple of seconds apart. I thought the neighbors were at it again. :shock: Their both kinda large. :lol:
yowza

Post by yowza »

I'm in Virginia about 40 miles from the epicenter in Mineral and it was scary for a minute. Nothing falling off walls or anything but it felt like a really big train or plane was getting ready to crash into the building, it was really shaking for 30-40 seconds or so. I heard this earthquake was felt in such a wide area because it was very shallow so it affected a wider surface area than if it had been deeper into the earth.
Structo

Post by Structo »

First I've heard of it.

I hope there won't be any tsunami's.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
ampmike

earthquake

Post by ampmike »

We felt it in Pa,Im 5 miles from NJ,Kinda like a rolling feeling,waves underneath us,Nothing ever like this here before.There could be some aftershocks,amps and guitars all OK :lol: Mikey
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

5.8 wow :shock:
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Yup, I was in a one story slab construction building in Baltimore. We all thought it was just the occasional semi pulling through the street too fast and hitting a bump. At the second wiggle, I knew what it was, grabbed my laptop and sprinted for the door. There's a firehouse next door. The city firefighter was standing there under the doorway. By then it was all clear. People were whacked out about it for about an hour.

This was my second earthquake. The first was in 1975 on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. The ground shook and I nearly fell on the blacktop road I was walking on. I was surprised that one remembers the feeling rather quickly.

Bottom line: some brisk excitement for less than a minute. When I got home, I found a can of Endust on the floor and a file cab drawer was open. Weird.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

I was at work in Teaneck NJ. My office is on the 7th floor (top) and it felt like the whole building was shaking, but for a very short time. By the time I realized I was experiencing mky first earthquake, it was over. Except that the hanging florescent lights were still swaying for another minute or so.

The wife was at home for lunch (she wokrs very close by) in central NJ, and she was scared. She thought the house was going to fall in. Didn't realize it was an earthquake until she went outside and met all of our neighbors on the street.

No casualties, human or material, that I know of.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I felt it here in Cincy, kind of a gentle swaying feeling even though I was in a basement. I understand it was noticeable in Columbus and Cleveland too.
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

I felt everything shake here. "Not this crap again"

We all looked at each other with grim faces. (I work 2 blocks from WTC site)

This is the same shake we felt when the North Tower collapsed. I was sure that as we are close to the 10th anniversary of the attack, we had been hit again.

I looked at my phone, and it was still working, it wasn't a distant EMP blast. I stepped outside and looked for the giant dust cloud I fled from last time, and saw none. A customer was driving by, and his phone rang, his Mom was telling him its an earthquake.

John
Structo

Post by Structo »

I can only imagine the fright this caused the NYC people.
If you were in a high rise you might think it was another plane.

One time I was working in Portland on a job and I was up on a 60 foot boom lift working on an exterior wall.

All of sudden the basket started swaying and I thought somebody was messing with me.
Then I looked over at all the sky scrapers and they were swaying a bit.

This was a very small quake.

But we had a large one in 1992.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Living in CA I am pretty use to the occasional trembler. Most are just a quick rush of excitement. I expect those on the east coast are not accustomed to feeling the earth move.

About 10 years ago we felt a huge shaking in the middle of the night. It sounded like a freight train was outside about to run through my house and felt as if some giant was lifting my house off the ground and slamming it back down repeatedly. Living in Napa, I figured that San Francisco must have been leveled or fallen in the bay. Little did I know that the epicenter was about 15 miles from my house.