Gibson Factory Raided at Gun point

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

talbany

Gibson Factory Raided at Gun point

Post by talbany »

Check This BS Out!!

http://www.americanbluesscene.com/2011/ ... eral-raid/

I'll bet China has no problem purchasing illegal wood anywhere!!..

http://www.globaltimber.org.uk/ChinaIllegalImpExp.htm

Your tax dollars hard at work here boy!!.. :roll:.

BTW..If you have a vintage piece and take it out of the country..Better have the documentation with you when you return or lose it and pay big fines and possible jail time!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 68.html%0A

Feels a little like Russia now don't it...WHERE DID YOU GET THIS WOOD.:twisted: Out of my pants!!..:)

Hide the Les Paul!

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:28 am, edited 9 times in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
boldaslove6789

Re: Gibson Factory Raided at Gun point

Post by boldaslove6789 »

Wow that's just crazy, thanks for posting Tony.
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Too much government interference in all aspects of our everyday life.
What a bunch of crap.
Wait til the Feds monitor your electrical consumption with "smart meters"
You won't be able to play your 100 watt amp because it wastes too much power.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

NickC

Post by NickC »

CHIP wrote:Too much government interference in all aspects of our everyday life.
What a bunch of crap......................
+1

Some background:

25 years ago I was VP-Finance for a pharmaceutical corporation. One of our 400+ products was L-tryptophan, an essential amino acid (precursor to serotonin .... the neurotransmitter that initiates sleep, as well as other bodily functions). After a chinese manufacturer produced a tainted batch that made people sick, the FDA banned manufacture, sale, and distribution in the U.S. My firm had to destroy over $250,000 worth of product ready to sell, work-in-process, and raw material. There was no recourse and no remedy. It was a straight loss with no way to recover. That was the law. There was not one iota of justice or sense in it.

So this raid on Gibson really rubs me the wrong way.
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Tryptophan, that's in turkey meat isn't it?

From what I understand, the "smart meter" , which some util. companies already have, is something to seriously think about. Appliances will have sensors installed and your meter will monitor what your using, even if your home built amp doesn't have a monitoring device, someone will want to know what the extra power usage is from. I don't think guitar amps will be considered a priority.
(They already made the decision for you on light bulbs)
NickC

Post by NickC »

CHIP wrote:Tryptophan, that's in turkey meat isn't it?

From what I understand, the "smart meter" , which some util. companies already have, is something to seriously think about. Appliances will have sensors installed and your meter will monitor what your using, even if your home built amp doesn't have a monitoring device, someone will want to know what the extra power usage is from. I don't think guitar amps will be considered a priority.
(They already made the decision for you on light bulbs)

I am already receiving notices from the power company (National Grid) that show my power use compared to the average power use of my neighbors.

With one hand Congress enacts legislation to protect privacy, and with the other hand they enable spying and travesties like the Patriot Act.

I read the Federalist Papers 40 years ago. I know what the Constitution says and why the framers crafted our Republic like they did. Best system of government ever devised. Too bad it has been made nearly unrecognizable by corrupt "public servants".

To paraphrase Baron Alexis de Tocqueville: This experiment in the American republic will be over as soon as the politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yeah they hung a smart meter on my house a couple years ago.
I wrote to the power company in an email expressing my concerns over the security and vulnerability of the system.
I said, some kid in Russia is going to have a ball with this.
A hacker could shut down a whole grid or sabotage it with a worm.

An engineer actually responded to my email by calling me on the phone, which I thought interesting.
He tried to explain how much better they can manage the power with these meters.

I asked about security and he claimed they had all these firewalls, blah, blah, blah.
I told him, look if a kid from Ukraine can hack into the Pentagon computers, do you really think the power grid would be much of a challenge?

I said yeah right, you guys will throttle the power during peak use hours and also charge more for higher use during those periods.
I got him exasperated several times during our conversation.
I told him he could not convince me that anything good for the consumer will come from this.

Another instance of the government controlling our lives more and more.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

One good thing the Dumble clones can make a tone turd guitar

made out of greenie woods sound ok.

And if you obama supporters or what ever his name is ?

Feel guilty send all your 1950-1960's Gibson and fenders to 67plexi. :lol:
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

The meter reader that comes to my building every month has been given notice that in 90 days he will be laid off because his services will no longer be needed now that smart meters have been installed throughout his route.

Seems that any new technology coming these days is designed to put people out of work.

Todd
ER

Post by ER »

67plexi wrote:One good thing the Dumble clones can make a tone turd guitar

made out of greenie woods sound ok.

And if you obama supporters or what ever his name is ?

Feel guilty send all your 1950-1960's Gibson and fenders to 67plexi. :lol:
David Lindley got some sweet sounds with some real dog guitars. But if you had a plastic guitar factory and did any chrome plating you would get shut down by the EPA and become a superfund site. Thank goodness the government gave us NAFTA so we can do all our dirty work south of the border.

I think my old danelectro has illegal rosewood for the fretboad and bridge, the pine was cut from unsustainable forests, and when I was looking for a source for a project a while ago I couldn't find any U.S. made masonite that wasn't softwood pulp. Would have to ship from Austrailia, but there's a shut down Masonite factory in the next county over and a few thousand acres of Eucalyptus plantations that are little more than a fire hazard in my county.

No they'll probably destroy all the wood like cash for clunkers, use it to light their cuban cigars or use it to keep the fire places going in the white house for Christmas or kwanza or whatever so it can go up in smoke and contribute to global warming, because we're all equal, but some of us are more equal than others.

The only safe guitar for the future would be one made of genetically modified corn, pharma waste, and fluoride built by inner city school kids in a subsidy program because you can't make a living from an honest trade unless it's supported by tax$$.

Where can I buy stock in that auto-tune for guitar software?
talbany

Post by talbany »

10 Things you might hear or say in the future

1..Honey the Feds are here and they say they want to see your guitar..I told you you play that thing too damn loud!!

2..Mr XXXX You have been charged and sentenced to 3 years hard labor and 275,000.00 fine for carrying an illegal bone nut across international waters

3 Yo man what you in fo..I got caught with a Gibson.... and a minor

4 Coming to a theater near you... Blood Wood

5 See this guitar is perfectly legal see it was made in China

6 No thanks I'll take the crappy guitar..I got a gig overseas!

7 No Really the guitar belongs to my wife!!

8 No this guitar really has an Indian rosewood neck for tone..We just laminated a piece of maple over it so you won't get busted..

9 Why are you taking it!!.. Guitar Center told me the wood from this guitar is perfectly legal!!

10 FREEZE!! Department of Fish Wildlife!!
Tony
Last edited by talbany on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
NickC

Post by NickC »

I knew I should have purchased those Steinberger graphite guitars when I had the chance!

True Story

I interviewed with Gibson after they bought Steinberger, at that Newburgh, NY manufacturing plant. I got a close-up and personal tour of the entire Steinberger facility. Really nice folks. One of the craftsmen demonstrated the strength of the L-series basses by laying it so it spanned between two work benches, and then stood balancing on the neck. No warp at all. Amazing.

Those L-Series instruments were labor-and-time intensive to build. They are not to everyone's taste, but well crafted/engineered instruments nonetheless.
qtone

equality

Post by qtone »

I would imagine we will be seeing them doing this to several others who are also using illegal woods to build instruments they surely just cant focus on one company and not focus on others who have been and still are using illegal woods... madagascar indian brazilian bone ivory those things are illegal to use.
It is illegal to copy someones shapes and put your own decal on them too..
Yet there are plenty of people still doing that with no raids or c and d orders...
How can they just single out one and not go after the others ?
I think we are about to see some shops raided in other states as well..

8)