I've got some spruce for you Luthiers

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

skyboltone

I've got some spruce for you Luthiers

Post by skyboltone »

I have an a supply of aircraft grade spruce that I bought direct from the mill back in about '96. These are spar blanks measuring mostly 4.5" and 5.5" by 5 quarters and mostly over 12'. I can't remember the board foot count. It was purchased for a biplane project (skybolt, what else). I long ago quit working on the project and it's time to sell.

I realize luthiers probably want something wider but here's my question. Is this something you guys would be interested in or should I stick with the boat and aircraft people? It was originally kiln dried but has been stored flat all these years and carried from state to state. It's very nice stuff, all quarter sawn, limited to no pitch pockets, clear no knots etc.

Also where should I advertise the stuff?

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
titanicslim

Re: I've got some spruce for you Luthiers

Post by titanicslim »

Hi, Dan

Sorry I never replied before, but I only just saw this.

Unfortunately, although the thickness is right for an archtop, the widths you have are about half of what is needed for guitar. If the grain is straight, and the color nice and even, there is really no obstacle to making a perfectly fine instrument out of it.

The problem is that such instruments take much time and effort to make and potential customers have very high expectations in the way of "aesthetics" and appearance. I, personally, am not bothered much by this but I also have a huge stock of wood.

In case you haven't already sold it, which seems likely, I think eBay is as likely a market for you as any. Wish I could help more. Sounds like some great oars (I used to build small boats) could be made from it!

Dave
The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of older people, and greatly assists in the circulation of the blood. - Logan Pearsall Smith (1865 - 1946)