Can I do this?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

skyboltone

Can I do this?

Post by skyboltone »

I got a Shure SM-48. If I make an adapter for the mini mic input on my laptop will that work? I also have an old Shure mic pre-amp mixer the I was thinking of putting in between.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the laptop is looking for; ie electret, low z, hi z whatever.

Thanks in advance for a reply

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Normster

Re: Can I do this?

Post by Normster »

Hi Dan, got your PM.

I use a Shure SM57 direct into a Dell laptop (with appropriate adaptors of course). The Dell has a "mic boost" function that helps when recording at low volumes. I turn it off when really cranking the amp.

For software, I'm using Cakewalk Home Studio 2002. You'll also need a wave to MP3 convertor. (I use the Cakewalk plugin.) There are also a few good freebie recording programs out there. Just do a quick search on the net and you'll be surprised.
Icetech

Re: Can I do this?

Post by Icetech »

I use a pyle $20 sm57 ripoff:) works great, goto radioshack and get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for like $1.99 works great...

for recording i use audicity (or something like that) into my laptop.. free and works great also
Hey man, you're leanin on my dream......