Cabs wood types??Whats most liked?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ampmike

Post by ampmike »

Hey Guys,I got some figured walnut and a cool pc. of birdseye.I was thinking about making the walnut box with a birdeye valance.Do most TAG members prefer not to mix the wood on a head cab?
I also have some purple heart and flamed maple.Do you think a V cab is a good idea with the v part being the heart wood and the rest being maple {maybe dyeing the maple light redish purple} or do you think just a straight up purple heart cab all the way.
I just have fun experimentig with wood and dye but now I have a stack of homeless cabs in my shop.The wife is giving me the evil eye!!The colored babs are definitly not for the TW purist but most of the teenagers that stop by like them.Mikey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ampmike

Blue cab

Post by ampmike »

This one is going to be called Blue Thunder
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruciep07

Re: Cabs wood types??Whats most liked?

Post by Bruciep07 »

I'm not a huge fan of colorful wood cabinets, love the look of figured cherry and flamed maple, maybe with a dark color sanded out to give the grain more depth, otherwise just a clear finish. Love the cab you did for Paul-in-KC! I usually don't like when the valence is a different color either, but after seeing that 2 tone Komet style cabinet someone posted a little while back, I'm starting to come around. I think mixing woods (striped, V-valence,etc) is a cool idea. Maple and purple heart to me is where it's at! Keep up the good work by the way!
ampmike

Post by ampmike »

Thanks Man,I think the V cab is really cool.One of our members did the Maple purple heart and looks awesome.Im going to try one.The walnut I purchased is figured but expensive $145 after shipping.I think you are right about not mixing wood on that one.This is all I do these days so as long as I have a cab to work on Im feeling OK.Thanks for the advice,Mikey
Structo

Post by Structo »

Just curious as to how much one of the maple head cabs weighs?

You must have an excellent source for your figured wood.

They all look great! :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Nice work Mikey! Walnut and maple are often combined in "art" furniture due to the nice contrast in color and figure. Same goes for the red woods like padauk and canary. One thing to be aware of with those is that they will turn brown over time. Maybe some polyurethane with UV blocking additive would at least slow that down? I found this site surfing around which looks to be a good resource for various woods in flat- and quarter-sawn examples: http://www.wood-database.com/

Here is a nice example of an all-wood cab belonging to Carlos Santana from the Dumble side that looks to be walnut and maple: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 290#207290 Adding an inlay is an area that could be explored more, too.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yeah we have a piece of furniture that is cherry.
It was finished with oil and it is exposed to the East in a large window.
It has really darkened up.
Some day I'll sand the dog claw marks out of it and re-oil it.

But not that deep dark maroon that some people associate with it which is usually a stain.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

As Martin pointed out, Padauk (sometimes called Vermilion) will turn brown. So will Purple Heart. UV blocks will slow the process, but it will eventually turn brown. If you want red wood that stays red, try Bloodwood. Cool stuff and about the same price as those other exotics.
ampmike

finish getting done

Post by ampmike »

Almost there,These cabs are beginning to 3D :shock:
Bruciep07

Post by Bruciep07 »

Very nice work Mike! Love the top one!
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

I agree with Martin about how walnut and maple go together. I would love to have a cherry or walnut cab with a figured maple valance.

What would something like that cost?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
ampmike

wood

Post by ampmike »

Thanks Guys,Well the walnut I bought was considered figured walnut and enough to do a cab came to 150.00.I would than add in a heavey figured valance and faceplate.I will put a price together for you.I would also probably spray it instead of Tong oil as well.Im going to do one this week I hope and Ill pm you the results.I do appreciate your input.Makes me feel better before I start mixing woods.Heres a pic of the walnut as well as a nice pc of birds eye.I have a lot of wood here on credit so I have to make about 8 cabs.Thanks Guys,Mikey PS Tom, most cabs are 14 lbs The odd one might be 15.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

The wood in the first picture, is that figured cherry?

That would look great as a valence with a walnut shell.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
ampmike

Wood

Post by ampmike »

Yea.Thats a nice lot of figured cherry.Im making two next week and actually have enough for a third cab.I have a total of 8 3ft pcs and all laid out it is a real nice batch.If you guys want to see the most beautiful cabs check these out.All in Tong oil and just stunning!!http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php?p=images
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I like maple and a touch of toner. You know what would be cooler than cool is swamp ash with tele blonde, not butterscotch, see-through blonde like '55 and later.

Who made that beautiful shaded maple amp with the walnut accents I was gushing over? Was in the for sale section months ago, and as beautiful as anything I have ever seen.

I want to make a Marshall head out of old pit-sawn barn wood, that would likely be cypress around here... with dirty water twine piping. Hee Haw.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.