Cutting circuit board

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Big Jim

Cutting circuit board

Post by Big Jim »

I am starting a build soon. I have cut some fibreboard with my mitre saw equipped with a carbide tooth blade, but it was a bit dicey. I was wondering if sandwiching it between scrap wood would help. I was also thinking a tile saw with a diamond blade might be the ticket. Suggestions?
Reeltarded

Re: Cutting circuit board

Post by Reeltarded »

That would work really well! I have cut boards on a bandsaw, and then off to a sander to clean the edges..
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
kwijabo

Post by kwijabo »

what reel said...i used a band saw then i filed and hand-sanded. don't have a belt sander.
Structo

Post by Structo »

If it is the epoxy/ fiberglas type board (Garolite) then the dust is very
nasty to breathe and not healthy at all.

The best way to cut it is with a wet saw like used for brick or tile.

Short of that I have even used a hack saw but it isn't very accurate.

If you can do it where the wind blows the dust away or wear a dust mask.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
xtian

Post by xtian »

I've had success, on pieces already cut to 2" widths, scoring both sides with a box cutter, and breaking the board over a hard desktop edge, then cleaning up with file.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I use a bandsaw cutting it very slowly then clean the board up on a belt sander/disc sander.

Mark
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

I've used a jigsaw with a metal-cutting blade, then clean up w/ sandpaper. I put wide masking tape on the board and draw my line w/ a Sharpie on the tape. As mentioned, a dust mask is ESSENTIAL.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

What about this gets dicey? I cut circuit board material using my circular saw, and have no issues (except for the damn dust :) ). So I am wondering what the deal is here?
Big Jim

Post by Big Jim »

sliberty wrote:What about this gets dicey? I cut circuit board material using my circular saw, and have no issues (except for the damn dust :) ). So I am wondering what the deal is here?
I think it may have been an issue with the angle the saw teeth were adressing the cut. The blade seemed to be pretty sharp. It just kind of caught the piece and tried to kick it inward, breaking the edge off a little. I was however able to get it cut ok. I was just wondering what is the BEST way to cut it. I think I will claim my tile saw back. I'm betting it will cut the stuff like butter, and no nasty dust to deal with. 8)
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

You have to use a fine enough blade to minimise kicks.

The rule I learned is at least 3 teeth must contact the work. if its kicking and chipping, try lowering the blade till its maybe an 1/8th higher than the work.

John
Bruciep07

Post by Bruciep07 »

I think blade choice is as important as any method mentioned above. A carbide blade does you no good if its the wrong type of blade! High tooth count is your friend when cutting circuit board material! Use a metal Cutting blade in a jig saw. I've found using a 7 1/4" blade for plywood is the cheapest way to get a clean cut on a table saw/miter saw. You'll need some sacrificial lumber under the material to make up the difference in blade diameter on a miter saw, but with a table saw that doesn't matter. The key is many straight teeth with very little throat to the tooth, if that makes sense. Whatever you use will wear out from cutting this type of material, but a 7 1/4" plywood cutting blade for a circular saw can be had for $5-$8, and if you designate that blade for garolite only, you'll more than get your money's worth.
cbass

Post by cbass »

You can get a little wet tile saw for like 60 bucks.Cuts clean and no dust.

You can also get a diamond blade for a skillsaw pretty cheap but dust is an issue.I would recomend wearing a respirator
Big Jim

Post by Big Jim »

I'm sure either my table saw, which I have a fine tooth carbide blade for, or my tile saw will do just dandy. I was just curious if there was a method that just stood ahead of others. I appreciate everyones ideas and input.
cbass

Post by cbass »

you can also put a 7" diamond blade in a table saw no need to mess up an expensive carbide blade.
billyz

Post by billyz »

I use a wet tile saw ( M&K) works great , no dust. Cuts Travertine too!
8)