Saw EJ last night

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Big Jim

Saw EJ last night

Post by Big Jim »

Saw Eric Johnson last night. Amazing performance. Was surprised to see a PRS amp on stage that appeared to be handling the 50 watt duties. Otherwise, the usual Dual twins, and a 100 watt full stack. My head hurts today after getting hit in the face with that 1000 pound violin (super lead). :lol: Eric also did a couple acoustic pieces as well. Did "proud mary" as an oncore. Nice show
Last edited by Big Jim on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vibratoking

Re: Saw EJ last night

Post by vibratoking »

I love his tone, but it's loud. My tinnitus started after one of his shows in the mid 80s. It has never stopped.
lions den

Post by lions den »

Had not heard that he moved to any PRS amps. Warren Hayes, Derek Trucks, and Dave Grissom are well advertised users but not EJ yet.

Some of the CAD amps from PRS are looking good from available YouTube videos but I've never played one in person. The MDT and HXDA models are supposed to be built off of old plexis from EJ and Duane Allman.

Still in the boutique range for prices........
Big Jim

Post by Big Jim »

Yep, we were suprised to see it there as well. I've seen 2 or 3 Allman bros. shows with the PRS stuff.....sounds good.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I used Harmonic Generators for a tour, and used one for dirty #2 for another 3 years... back when PRS made transistor amps that were pure noise. Oh, and tone. Your signal and the noise floor are about 2db apart. Built-in gating sounds like shit. Rock.

I would be sad if he changed amps. I can't bear the recordings. Eric Johnson should not be allowed to touch anything in a control room. Disasterous.

Live, it's amazing. He can't stop that. That's awe inspiring. What a sound.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Super_Reverb

Post by Super_Reverb »

Eric Johnson used to play at Steamboat 1874 on 6th in Austin in early 80s when I was in college. He performed solo acoustic sets and generally filled the place. What we noticed was the clientele he drew were quite civilized, didn't trash the place (I was part of the cleaning crew) and didn't tear the towel dispenser off the wall and try to flush it down the crapper.

cheers,

rob
Structo

Post by Structo »

PRS amps seem to be getting a lot of respect.

Nicky Moroch has done a lot of demos for Paul on Youtube.

Man, that guy gets around. :lol:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
SoundPerf

Post by SoundPerf »

The PRS CAD amps are super nice amps. Actually, all the PRS amps are very nice. Doug Sewell is the man behind the designs. I got to talk & listen to Doug & Nicky Moroch at last years PRS open house. (Experience) They're very excited about what they're doing.

I played through a couple different models. Main thing with all of them is the ability to control gain with the guitars volume control.

I'm glad to hear EJ is using them. He probably likes the idea of being able to use a production amp for touring.
Chris
Big Jim

Post by Big Jim »

Update....My son chatted with EJ's tech on their website last nite. He said that Erics main rig was in Europe, and that the PRS amp was just for the Florida leg of the tour. Thus the novelty. That might have something to do with Eric futzing with his stuff a lot. Wait a minute, doesn't he always do that? Honestly though, the guy is amazing! I enjoyed every minute.

Jim
SoundPerf

Post by SoundPerf »

Big Jim wrote:Update....My son chatted with EJ's tech on their website last nite. He said that Erics main rig was in Europe, and that the PRS amp was just for the Florida leg of the tour. Thus the novelty. That might have something to do with Eric futzing with his stuff a lot. Wait a minute, doesn't he always do that? Honestly though, the guy is amazing! I enjoyed every minute.

Jim
I'm not so sure I would say using those amps was a "novelty". I'm sure Eric has the connections to find a couple vintage Plexi's where ever he's playing if he really wanted them.

And yes, he's always messing with his stuff at shows. (and everywhere else I imagine) :)

EJ had said in an interfview that he had sold a bunch of his vintage gear and gear in general and is only keeping the stuff he uses the most. Also, he's trying not to be so crazy about his gear. I would think at some point production equipment that sounds just as good to us mere mortals will be used more.
Chris
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

I saw EJ at the House of Blues a few years back (with Bill Maddox RIP). Great show, fantastic tones and playing all around. His stereo clean tone though, wow, best clean ever.

For those who haven't seen this one, it's a few years old now, but great walkthrough of his gear at the time. The Clean setup demo starts at 0:35. The Twins with the TC stereo chorus and Memory Man...incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERFFXvPV9XE
Big Jim

Post by Big Jim »

Sound perf,
Novelty, read "other than the expected". I certainly wasn't implying negatively about the PRS stuff. The greatest live guitar solo I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing was done on a PRS amp by Mr. Derek Trucks in Orange Beach, Alabama. Breathtaking......Love me some Allman bros.
Colossal,
I agree that Erics clean tone is pretty amazing.
Lousyatit

Post by Lousyatit »

I'm sure not crazy about the new drummer.
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

Super_Reverb wrote:Eric Johnson used to play at Steamboat 1874 on 6th in Austin in early 80s when I was in college. He performed solo acoustic sets and generally filled the place. What we noticed was the clientele he drew were quite civilized, didn't trash the place (I was part of the cleaning crew) and didn't tear the towel dispenser off the wall and try to flush it down the crapper.

cheers,

rob
Dude!
We probably know each other then. I used to play Steamboat pretty regularly in the mid to late 80's.
Saw EJ there many times myself.
The crowd was so well behaved because it was all guitarists trying to cop Eric's every move.
It would have been very inconsiderate to ...... well......... breath.
<i> "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn."</i>
SoundPerf

Post by SoundPerf »

Big Jim wrote:Sound perf,
Novelty, read "other than the expected". I certainly wasn't implying negatively about the PRS stuff. The greatest live guitar solo I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing was done on a PRS amp by Mr. Derek Trucks in Orange Beach, Alabama. Breathtaking......Love me some Allman bros.
Sorry about that. I guess I'm use to hearing novelty used with more of a negative connotation these days.

You may like seeing this clip I shot at last years PRS open house. All PRS amps being used by guitars. It's a little "off the cuff" because they were suppose to play on a different stage, but had to move quickly at the last minute. Also I was getting bumped around a bunch. It starts to really get hot near the end.

http://youtu.be/wgpp_vkN5fU?hd=1
Chris