Guitar Gallery Thread! Post 'em up!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: Guitar Gallery Thread! Post 'em up!

Post by Reeltarded »

I need something shreddier
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
jelle

Post by jelle »

didit wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:55 pm Hello --

Fine looking 335-style, which evidently you built?

Recent addition of a 1948 L-48. Came lightly electrified, with semi-permanently mounted DeArmond monkeystick wired to a volume pot on the pickguard and a jack on the side of the lower bout. Removed for the moment as repairs necessary to both the guitar and electronics.

---
L-48.jpg
---

Best .. Ian
Very nice! I have a 1938 one like that. I love that guitar.
didit

Post by didit »

Hey --
jelle wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:24 pm
didit wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:55 pm Recent addition of a 1948 L-48. Came lightly electrified, with semi-permanently mounted DeArmond monkeystick wired to a volume pot on the pickguard and a jack on the side of the lower bout. Removed for the moment as repairs necessary to both the guitar and electronics.
Very nice! I have a 1938 one like that. I love that guitar.
Cool hearing there are others with others. It's quite unique and really fine & fun. Slowly working through essential playability work. Midst replacing a set of 60s era junky replacement tuners with some fresh Kluson repro strips this week.

Best .. Ian
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

my latest purchase:

1963 Gretsch 6119 Chet Atkins:
IMG_20210721_163536-01 (1).jpeg
IMG_20210721_145840-01 (1).jpeg

did someone say 'mud switch'? ..... :mrgreen:

M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

How muddy is it? Do you find it useful? What value caps are on it now? As I understand it the originals had 100n and 47n. Some recommend reducing them to 12n and 3n9... basically a decade smaller.
didit

Post by didit »

Hello --

Lovely bit of furniture for sure Marcus. And every one encountered sounds great, even "mud mode" if that's your jam. I've this personal defect. Every time I reach out and pick up a Gretch these fingers lose what little modest agility/dexterity have been developed over the many years of trying. Dunno what it is.

Best .. Ian
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p59Pa9vx5Ic
In the right hands, a lovely sounding guitar!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

martin manning wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:09 pm How muddy is it? Do you find it useful? What value caps are on it now? As I understand it the originals had 100n and 47n. Some recommend reducing them to 12n and 3n9... basically a decade smaller.
yes it's all original. I looked at replacing the caps but there's no holes anywhere except the pick up holes so the entire loom has to be removed to do this...it makes a 335 look easy to work on!!!!!!

It's a very bright twangy guitar , those are single coil pickups NOT filtertrons. The higher end model got the filter trons. I could swap them out and do the Mud switch at the same time but then it wouldn't be all original.

Not sure what to do with it yet. If I was going to play it as a regular guitar i think I'd forgo the originality and replace some of the vintage hardware, or I just use it for the sound/playability it has. tough call.

M
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Phil_S wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:38 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p59Pa9vx5Ic
In the right hands, a lovely sounding guitar!
that's it :) thats more or less how I experience it. You can hear the brightness/ clarity but you can also hear the vintage bridge deadens the tone somewhat on certain strings.

overall though that's a great example of this guitar.

M
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

norburybrook wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:51 pmyes it's all original. I looked at replacing the caps but there's no holes anywhere except the pick up holes so the entire loom has to be removed to do this...it makes a 335 look easy to work on!!!!!!

It's a very bright twangy guitar , those are single coil pickups NOT filtertrons. The higher end model got the filter trons. I could swap them out and do the Mud switch at the same time but then it wouldn't be all original.

Not sure what to do with it yet. If I was going to play it as a regular guitar i think I'd forgo the originality and replace some of the vintage hardware, or I just use it for the sound/playability it has. tough call.
A very cool looking guitar for sure. Good point on the inherent brightness of the SC's. If you can work through the pickup holes instead of the f-holes, as you have to on a 335, it might even be a bit easier to remove and replace the harness. I guess after playing it a while you can decide what if anything to do with it. You don't have to use the mud switch after all, and it's completely out of the circuit in center position. I do see one mod, the saddle has been screwed to the top to immobilize it.

This one is the same year ;^)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Martin,

Well spotted :)

Actually, the F holes are painted on , so no holes .

M
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Great purchase ! I'm sure you'll make it sound as due ... 8)
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

We should have bought more telecasters!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
didit

Post by didit »

Reeltarded wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:05 pm We should have bought more telecasters!
Three here. Any more would be considered hoarding.

Best .. Ian
didit

Post by didit »

Hello --

Mid '80s Kalamazoo Terminator. According to Heritage less than a dozen ever. Unclear what the whole point was, but it's fabulous playing and remarkably comfortable.
Terminator.jpg
Best .. Ian