Getting a job....

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

Getting a job....

Post by Phil_S »

At my age, the prospect of a "regular job" wasn't really on my agenda, but after almost 10 years my consulting business seems to waned and I've got to do something for the next 6 years or so. While calling around to ramp up the business, someone offered me a job. I said I'd give it a try. I still haven't figured out if this is like going to jail or if it's freedom. Time will tell.

No more day time posting at TAG :cry:
Reeltarded

Re: Getting a job....

Post by Reeltarded »

I thought it was just me!

Congrats on something to do. It's a shitty time for everything I have skills in, apparently. It seems like pretending gets more respect.

No sour grapes though, for real congrats. :)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Welcome (back) to the rat-race!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Thanks, Miles. I wasn't looking for a job, really. I said to myself, I don't want a job. Yet, there is was...has the appearance of fitting like a glove. Unexpected, unsolicited. I was just calling around to former consult clients to let them know I have time available, if they know anyone who needs what I do. BTW, you should call everyone you know. Something will pop! Just don't ask for a job, a big mistake as it puts people in a corner.

Mostly, I'm sorry to be losing my flexibility. No more trips to the post office, the barber, Home Despot, wherever, in the middle of the day. That, and my 13 year old Dachshund will have to learn to hold it while I'm gone -- we'll see how that goes, or if I'm going to go broke on paying a dog walker!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Luthiery, music production, IT services for architects, and home automation all kind of stopped completely around here. At some point in 2007 I kind of knew it would be like this for at least.. the rest of my life. :roll:

So, back to learning. I am becoming a fairly good astronomer, I can tweak an amp to do pretty good things and I am normally only a couple months behind on bills.

Some things never change. I am not disinterested, just kind of in the worst place in the Universe for a person. haha
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

Best of luck Phil. Sometimes you just get lucky, and I hope this is one of those times. As for the "going to jail or freedom" question, only time will tell. Bosses usually suck :) but there are other reasons that a job can make sense. Like a regular paycheck. Hope it all works out.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Bosses should be OK. I know them. They know me. This wasn't quite as random as it may seem. Thanks for the encouragement, Steve.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Good deal Phil. Networking is the way to go in this lousy market.

I'm going to go to work this spring for my niece......Flagging of all things. I asked her if I could be the last hired and first laid off. OK she said, but if I wanted any overtime, I'd have to work the straight time too. Bummer. Anyway, I take a four hour flagging class and OSHA 10 on March 1st. This will pay for the flying if I don't get run over.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
boots

Post by boots »

I hate to sound ungrateful when so many people are needing work. But I have been more than steadily employed at a fairly demanding job for the last 5 years without much of a break, and I feel like I am in jail sometimes!

I am at the age where I could legitimately be looking at scaling back (but not retiring). I have been working on my boss to let me go to part time for a couple of years now, and he doesn't want to give me any slack. I have been getting progressively more burned out and I'm thinking that a total change is in order.

I would dearly love to have some sort of home business. But alas, the things I am good at are not really very marketable! I don't have people lined up needing amps built, or electronic repairs. I think I want to be the guy who sprays water on the vegetables at the supermarket. Except they have those damn automatic sprinklers now....
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

Congrats, hopefully you can make it interesting.

There's an old Buddhist Monk saying "A man that can be content with his surroundings will be happy even in hell."

I try to think about that riding into work on Mondays.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Thanks everyone. I'm sorta surprised at all the replies!

Gotta get ready to turn in now. Work starts at 8:30. Oh, I've never been any good at 8:30, not since I was about 11 years old. I guess enough sleep is over rated.

Best wishes to all of you. May everyone who needs work (and a paycheck) find it and find it soon.

Phil
cbass

Post by cbass »

Good luck.I haven't had steady work since 08. I've given up on having any kind of retirement.Guess I'll just work till I die.

The work I do have now I'm gettin about half as much money as I used to.You can't sell quality anymore.None cares just as long as its cheap.
rp

Post by rp »

Phil_S wrote:At my age, the prospect of a "regular job" ... I still haven't figured out if this is like going to jail or if it's freedom...
It's like going to jail. At least at our age we don't need a lot of room to frolic and as long as the cell is warm and reasonably comfy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO5dcW0P75M

best w/ it nonetheless
NickC

Post by NickC »

Congratulations! Having gainful employment at any age, and of any quality, is better than not having it. Bottom line: got to eat and have a roof overhead in order to pursue those things in life that matter most to us (like family, music and building amps).
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Phil_S wrote:At my age, the prospect of a "regular job" wasn't really on my agenda, but after almost 10 years my consulting business seems to waned and I've got to do something for the next 6 years or so. While calling around to ramp up the business, someone offered me a job. I said I'd give it a try. I still haven't figured out if this is like going to jail or if it's freedom. Time will tell.

No more day time posting at TAG :cry:
Sounds good to me. If someone that knows you offers you a job, you must have something they need.

I'm in my late 50s and looking for my next day job too. I figure that the older I get, the fewer opportunities I'll be offered. I had an interview last year where they actually expressed concern that I was coming there to retire. Not for many years, I hope. If I get a job that I enjoy, it's worth getting up in the morning!

Congrats!