My oldest has decided not to go to college.

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vibratoking

Re: My oldest has decided not to go to college.

Post by vibratoking »

First, I always advise my kids to pursue what they love, unless it leads to trouble.

Second, I have always told them to use their brain instead of their back whenever possible. Backs don't last forever...Brains are more likely to be viable for a lifetime if exercised.

I was a union welder in another lifetime. That group of union steel workers was the most unintelligent group of people that I have ever had the misfortune of working with. Talk about screaming down the road into a dead-end. Wow, the whole culture had almost no upside. Nothin against welders in general. Just my experience. I got the hell out quickly and never looked back. One of the better moves in my life.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

I've heard that underwater welders make really good money. I guess doing oil rigs and such.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

LeftyStrat wrote:I've heard that underwater welders make really good money. I guess doing oil rigs and such.
There are a lot of high risk jobs that pay well - careers are often short.

On the other hand, there are high precision welders that earn well too (high vacuum and titanium are two areas that come to mind). One can look to the professional welding societies to observe the trends and opportunities.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Don't stress to much just be supportive as long as she has purpose and direction.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
ER

Post by ER »

Yeah I used to be a titanium welder/machinist dude, thinking about getting back into it working from home. I think you only make money as a welder with the union stuff and that's a whole different deal, certifications, dues, hassles, waiting for jobs, etc. Titanium is actually my favorite metal to weld, they try and make it this big mystery but it's not.

Breathing fumes and getting flash burn, living life in the hood, no fun. I can't imagine welding aluminum all day, that's what everything is made of these days. Plus all those jobs are moving to china anyways because of those unions and OSHA.

One more plug for starting your own business, regardless of what you do.