YOU ALL NEED TO CALM DOWN!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ER

Re: YOU ALL NEED TO CALM DOWN!

Post by ER »

Gibsonman63 wrote:Stay the path, Lefty. I have seen how the worst case scenario plays out up close and personal. You don't want that for yourself or for anyone you love.
Yeah best of luck too you, you can do it! Balls of steel!

When I got out of high school I went to live with and take care of my grandmother who smoked all her life and had emphysema and an oxygen tank, watching what she went through those last few years kept me off cigs for good.

Make sure you add in something good to replace the outgoing bad so you don't have a void that feels it needs filling.
cbass

Post by cbass »

My grandad quit smoking when I was to young to remeber I remember my grandma smoking.

Grandpa quit the day his doctor told him he had emphyzema 40 something years later he died from emphyazema.He still enjoyed beer/whiskey and the ocasional toke though.

Out of all the things I've been hooked on nothin has been as costly as the P word.
cbass

Post by cbass »

My 16 Year old has decieded its cool to smoke.I've told him repeatedly what a dipshit he is.Geuss its time for a good old fashioned ass beatin.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Good luck with that ass-whuppin.

Maybe send him to help take care of my wife's sister, who is now in both chemo and radiation therapy, has had all her teeth removed, and has a marble sized tumor on her tongue. Can't eat, has a stomach tube, can't swallow, getting treatment 4 hours a day, 3 days a week. 50% recovery rate.

We're all immortal when young. Until we're not.

Lefty - Maybe semantics, yes, but as Miles said, stop, don't quit. My dad did it after 50 years.

Best,

GT
tribi9

Post by tribi9 »

I successfully quit cold turkey 6 years ago. I quit right after having a cigarette and getting the shakes and smoke related gut rot. I felt like crap after that particular cigarette and thought to myself, It doesn't even feel good to smoke any more. Why am I doing this?

I smoked from the time I was 16 until I was 33.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Good for you Lefty. I went cold turkey in 1984. The first 24 hours was the hardest, then the first week, and then the first month, and then the first 6 months (I still had the occasional nightmare up to about 6 months where I woke up cursing that I had started smoking again, only to realise it was a nightmare). Been a non smoker ever since.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
rdjones

Post by rdjones »

LeftyStrat wrote:Worst part is I had to give up my beloved beer. One beer and I'll be smoking again.
It's the opposite for me, I've never smoked (cigarettes) but if someone lights up around me I want a beer.

Anyone who doesn't smoke but has spent time working in bars will know what I'm talking about.
If I ever quit drinking (I'm not an alcoholic, ... really) everyone around me will have to quit smoking.
Getting my sense of smell back and everything stinks.
Best of luck with stopping. 8)

rd
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

tubeswell wrote:Good for you Lefty. I went cold turkey in 1984. The first 24 hours was the hardest, then the first week, and then the first month, and then the first 6 months (I still had the occasional nightmare up to about 6 months where I woke up cursing that I had started smoking again, only to realise it was a nightmare). Been a non smoker ever since.
That's funny. I've already dreamed I started smoking again and woke up angry. Maybe that's a good sign.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: Quitting

Post by LeftyStrat »

ampmike wrote:If nothing changes ,nothing changes.today is my quit day.im to old to be messing with this anymore.My wife too!Smokes my last before bed last night.i had quit before but it creeped back into my life.My wife buys commit lozenges,cigs and a 50 dollar inhaler for asthma.How f:&?ing crazy is that?
I'm done,!!!!!!! :evil:
ampmike. I want you to know I am there for you. I think I'm doing pretty good this time around. I have a confidence I didn't have in the past. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. PM me and I'll give you my number.

A carton of cigarettes in Washington costs around $60. With me and my wife smoking as much as we did, we bought another carton every three days. that's $600 a month we pay to kill ourselves.

I think being angry helps. Get pissed and whip out those Ballz of Steel!
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

LeftyStrat wrote:Well, the good news is that since I've quit, my wife has cut way back. So maybe she will eventually quit.

Cliff, thanks for the info. Any suggestion on brands of ecig equipment? If I could get something like that it might help my wife to quit.
Sorry Lefty, I forgot I posted in this thread!

The brand of "battery" (i.e. the base unit with the battery and button) that you want is Joyotech. I recommend the Ego-C Upgrade model specifically, they're dirt cheap, uber reliable and ergonomical. Whereas the "Twist" version allows you to adjust the vaporizing voltage on the bottom, the "Upgrade" is simply a USB port. Instead of having to unscrew the tank part and plug in the ecig to a charger (effectively making the ecig unsmokable until it charges), the USB port allows you to charge and smoke at the same time. They have lots of colors and battery options too, but even the smallest batteries will last all day with a casual smoker. I bought my battery from www.ivape.net but they sent me the wrong color - you might look locally for one of these batteries for usually ~$3 than you pay online (really the same price when you factor in shipping)

For the tanks, I use the Kanger T2 Sunfire. I've tried quite a few different varieties and this has been the most reliable and foolproof tank I've used. They don't leak or flood or do any of the other things (including break) that other brands have done. I've bought the tanks as cheap as $3.75 a pop and the replaceable wick $0.99 a pop. These wicks last about a month at a time for me (a heavy smoker) and of course the tanks come in lots of fun colors too. I get these and the replaceable wicks at www.vapingme.com and usually end up with high resistance tanks even though I prefer lower (more vapor per drag).

For liquids, you really gotta try a lot of stuff out. I smoke the standard "RY4" tobacco flavor which is a nice caramel/vanilla and something else (not sure really, but it's yummy). The guys I buy my eliquid from (www.ecblendflavors.com) do inexpensive sample sizes of the liquids that are great to try out a lot of flavors. Newly manufactured liquids have to settle in (steep) for a few weeks before they taste how they are supposed to and these samples sizes are "pre-steeped" so you know what to expect when you order the flavors you like. Also FWIW the ECblend guys have the best flavors and lowest prices I've found for eliquids (and they're in Oregon, maybe not too far from you).
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Leo_Gnardo

Re: Quitting

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

LeftyStrat wrote:that's $600 a month we pay to kill ourselves.
Now $600 a month you can aim at your upcoming possible move and mortgage! $7200 - AFTER TAX - money, that's powerful. Keep thinkin' of that and those cigs will fade into the sunset as they should.

Having "anger dreams" - those nerve receptor sites I mentioned - also powerful stuff. It's amazing how neuro-chemistry can have such an effect. Poor little nerves - "we don't have what we want, waah waah waah." Show 'em who's in charge.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Zippy

E-cigs: What is the chemical fog that goes in your lungs?

Post by Zippy »

I understand that it is considered less undesirable than tobacco smoke, but what is in the fog that you inhale? What is in the secondhand stuff that I inhale?
rdjones

Re: E-cigs: What is the chemical fog that goes in your lung

Post by rdjones »

Zippy wrote:I understand that it is considered less undesirable than tobacco smoke, but what is in the fog that you inhale? What is in the secondhand stuff that I inhale?
The couple friends I have that are on ECigs seem to be doing well with them.
Maybe the Surgeon General will have something to say about these at some point, hopefully good.
As far as second hand I can say that some of the flavours (I don't remember the names) are more appealing and/or obvious than others to be around.
In any case it's far and away more tolerable than real tobacco smoke !

rd
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Zippy wrote:I understand that it is considered less undesirable than tobacco smoke, but what is in the fog that you inhale? What is in the secondhand stuff that I inhale?
It's water vapor. The liquids are a mixture of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine with flavor and nicotine added. The FDA has not approved these devices and while most places don't worry too much about them, other cities have banned them outright. They have also been banned on commercial airflights, although I've never gotten in trouble for puffing on mine a few times in the bathroom..
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Cliff Schecht wrote:
It's water vapor. The liquids are a mixture of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine with flavor and nicotine added.
Thanks, I thought it was something like that. If you exhale on a window/mirror, does it leave a film? I have to wonder whether you are building up a layer of this stuff in the lining of your trachea, bronchi, and alveoli? That might be benign stuff on your skin, not so on more sensitive tissues.

I'd consider it an interim measure to get off tobacco but not the next lifelong habit.