YOU ALL NEED TO CALM DOWN!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

YOU ALL NEED TO CALM DOWN!

Post by LeftyStrat »

I'd punch every last one of you if you didn't stink so bad, but I don't want to stink up my fist.

Just kidding. I quit smoking last Sunday. I'm just a little crazy. Hard to stop doing something you've been doing at least twenty times a day for the last 38 years.

Worst part is I had to give up my beloved beer. One beer and I'll be smoking again.

I think the first three days I may have slept an hour.

Getting my sense of smell back and everything stinks.

Anyway, here's a picture I took today of a truck that was made the same year I was born.

I'm thinking a new paint job and I'll be as good as new.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
JazzGuitarGimp

Re: YOU ALL NEED TO CALM DOWN!

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

All the best on yer new journey, Lefty. I know a thing or two about addiction; I've been carying around an extra 125 lbs for years. I'm rootin' for ya!
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

The Best of luck to you, Lefty. I quit 8 years ago and haven't looked back. Now I wouldn't smoke a cigarette on a bet. You're adding years to your life.
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Thanks guys. It's fucking hard as hell, but I'm starting to feel so much better that it negates the urges.

I wasn't even planning on quitting. I just got pissed at myself for chain smoking two packs last Sunday. Laid in bed and wondered if I could make it through two cups of coffee without a cigarette. Did that and wondered if I could go a day without a smoke. Did that and wondered why in the fuck am I trying to kill myself.

My wife still smokes. That makes it even harder. This is going to sound stupid, but every time I get the urge I do this Hulk kind of thing and go "Ballz of Steel!"

Yep, I'm crazy. But I so want to live to see my grandkids.
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Whatever it takes, man. The grandkids are definitely worth it, trust me.

[ "Ballz of Steel", that's Great! :) ]
Last edited by sepulchre on Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

You will make it. You have all the motivation you need and support from all of us former tar inhalers.
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Biggest boost I have had so far was my daughters were arguing with each other and I explained to them that they need to keep the drama to a minimum because my nerves are shot because I quit smoking.

I saw a twinkle in my oldest's eye. A smile. An acknowledgement. I can't fail that.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Well if you just can't quit Lefty, I cannot suggest ecigs enough. For about the cost of a pack a day for under two weeks, you can get setup with a good quality battery that will last all day ($27), a tank that won't leak or give you any troubles ($3.50 a pop, $0.99 replacement wicks, last 3 weeks+ per wick) and $15 for 50mL of e-liquid (enough to last me for at least three months).

I thought it would be impossible for me to quit, I was easily at a pack a day and NEEDED my cigarettes! Once I got a good ecig setup and learned to trust the damned things though, I made the switch 100%. I don't want or crave cigarettes anymore (since late April) and instead crave the ecig. I can run and walk up stairs without being out of breath and I love tasting my food and being able to smell again. I honestly didn't quit real cigarettes on purpose either, I bought an ecig one day and made the switch permanently. If you want to quit, this is at least a good way to ween yourself off of real cigs without nicing out all of the time. I know a lot of lifetime smokers that have converted to ecigs and really enjoy them. The flavors are AMAZING and the absolute best part is smoking anywhere you want (because it's water vapor instead of smoke and doesn't smell). If you or anybody else wants more info let me know, I can point you at what you want and where to buy from.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
ampmike

smokes

Post by ampmike »

I had success with the commit lozenges.You get addicted to them.Im foolin around with the ciggs again.Thank God I quit drinking that always warranted a pack.I find when I get pissed off it right to the ciggs.My 2 boys live here and smoke,it tough.Start a jar and put all your $$ that you would spend on smokes and in a couple months you got a new amp.I havent had one today !! :lol:
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

LeftyStrat wrote:I saw a twinkle in my oldest's eye. A smile. An acknowledgement. I can't fail that.
This is your mantra. Maybe you can convince your wife to join you?
Randy Magee

Post by Randy Magee »

"Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times." - Mark Twain

I was a pack a day smoker for many years and have been off the cigs for over twenty years now. I applaud anyone who has mustered the grit and determination to quit. You have no idea how much better you will feel and how much the quality of your life will improve. Having a spouse that is still smoking will make it that much harder... perhaps you can influence her to quit as well... Good luck with it and keep your mindset!
Randy Magee
passfan

Post by passfan »

Wow, hats off to ya man. I couldnt have quit cold turkey like that. I got sick of them back in 2002 after 26 years and did the patch. Never had one craving and haven't had one since. It took about 5 days to quit reaching for it and then it was as if I'd never smoked. And, my wife still smokes. Good luck
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

I quit over 20 years ago myself. Wasn't particularly difficult. I did it with a pack in my shirt pocket all day for a couple weeks. I don't know why but it seemed to help if I made it that kind of choice. My brother in law just quit last year. The doc gave him some sort of pill that stops the craving. It worked for him.

I can even light up a good quality cigar twice a year now and not trigger the urge. That's about it though, I wouldn't want to push it any farther than that.

Oh, the Suburban. That's a 58 right? Still got the eyebrow! Is it really 4x4 or are those show off wheels.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

LeftyStrat wrote:Getting my sense of smell back and everything stinks.
Good of you to quit the evil weed. Now this may be a sort of "left handed compliment" but every day that passes, you'll stink less too. One of my old coworkers, a monitor mixer we'll call "Jack the Bear" (because that's what Bette Midler called him when he worked for her) was pretty much a chain smoker and although he's a terrific guy, there was that smell, ooh that smell around him. He quit alcohol with help from AA, then a couple years later quit the cigs. He said he got his senses of smell & taste back, and that wretched stink was also gone. Plus he had more spendin' cash and didn't wig out when he ran out of smokes. Good deal all around!

This far into it I doubt you'll need any patch ecig or other crutch. You sound like you're well set on it. Excellent!

Now if you can convince your Missus. My neighbor across the street went to the ecig, and it's a great relief to her. Whatever works.
down technical blind alleys . . .
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Well, the good news is that since I've quit, my wife has cut way back. So maybe she will eventually quit.

Cliff, thanks for the info. Any suggestion on brands of ecig equipment? If I could get something like that it might help my wife to quit.