Post a guitar tune from the year you were born.

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

darryl_h

Re: Post a guitar tune from the year you were born.

Post by darryl_h »

Not specifically guitar related, but from 1951, Rocket 88 by Jackie Brenston and His Delta Cats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbfnh1oVTk0

Claimed by some to be the first 'rock and roll' song, although there probably wasn't just one 'first', but rather a number of artists playing and recording similar material.

Sixty two years ago. I've made it to old age... :(
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
wicker

Post by wicker »

Paul
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

wicker wrote:89'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x70G-NhyUPI
not that bad ;)
That's a great tune, potentially. I like the changes a lot. But one should learn how to improve over major seventh chords, rather than trying to force fit the minor pentatonic scale over everything.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Structo

Post by Structo »

One of my favorite SRV songs.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

That's a great tune, potentially. I like the changes a lot. But one should learn how to improve over major seventh chords, rather than trying to force fit the minor pentatonic scale over everything.
I know what you are saying, but I am not sure I completely agree that there is a force fit going on. As can be heard, IMO, minor scales can work well over that progression. One could improvise the changes more closely and push the major sevenths, but that is a different musical statement and vision than the one that was chosen. I am not an SRV fanatic, but that is one of my favorites. It's the the contrast between the 'jazzy' changes and the blues that make that tune work for me. Similar to what Jeff Beck has done many times, albeit Beck does it better IMO. Lot's of altered chords over straight melody and blues...like Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. Max Middleton's keyboard work gives the relatively straight guitar work another dimension. Maybe not a perfect comparison, but the the best I can come up with right now. I view it as an artistic choice rather than a limitation.