Do you prefer Gibson or Fender

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ampmike

Do you prefer Gibson or Fender

Post by ampmike »

As a kid I found that I just loved the feel of a Les Paul ,I wander what the percentage of players that like gibson or a strat style.You just seem to gravitate toward one or the other.They both offer great sounds and playing options.So what would be your choice if you had to choose,Les Paul or Strat.
Thanks Mikey
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
ampgeek

Re: Do you prefer Gibson or Fender

Post by ampgeek »

I am with you! Although I own a Strat and others, I prefer Les Pauls.
Cheers,
Dave O.
wicker

Post by wicker »

I got Tele - love it, but know I'm thinking about getting ES335, that would be an awesome pair.
Paul
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Alway a Les Paul because as a kid I loved the Ebony LP Custom.

But my hands could only afford cheap copies and today I still only have lower priced Gibson Les Pauls.

But now days I would rather have a custom built clone then a real Gibson LP.

Mark
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

My first real guitar was a strat, so I definitely favor them. I did play a 335 for several years and I owned a LP Black Beauty briefly. I kinda wish I still had both the Gibsons, but not really :-)
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Yes
NickC

Post by NickC »

I played Gibson ('73 SG) exclusively for 20+ years. Then gravitated exclusively to a Strat, and later on Tele's for another 20 years. Today I have both Fenders and a Les Paul, and I love 'em all.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

I've got a lot of guitars (too many?) Gibson, Fender, Heritage, some oddballs, some acoustics. But it's the Strats that get played most often.
randalp3000

Post by randalp3000 »

My first guitar was a Kalamazoo, I traded 2 Ted Nugent albums and $15 for it. Traded it towards a Melody Maker, traded that towards my first LP. 68 Custom in a brown case, really wish I still had it and hadn't gotten the neck shaved and refinished in sunburst(I was only 15).

When I was 18 I found an under the bed 59 darkburst in like new condition. Being young and poor I brokered a deal for someone else to buy it and he flipped it in a week. Last I heard it was in a vault on the east coast. I can't believe I haven't seen it in any books. :x

About ten years ago I finally got as close as possible to my dream guitar, a 2003 R9 with a Brazilian board. Looks just like Jimmy Page's. Played it exclusively for about 5 years until Gibson got all suey and made it impossible for me to be a dealer any longer. Been siting in the case because I refuse to play it in public. I even played a PRS Lawsuit Single Cut for awhile out of spite.

anyhoo, I love LP's and have 5 or 6 but I FN Hate what Gibson has become.

F Gibson
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

If only one guitar could do everything right.

You'd only need 1.

Heavy vs light, short scale or longer? Humbuckers vs singles, etc.

There are things each of these does better.

And so we must continue to build our collections.

John
Do not limit yourself to what others think is reasonable or possible.

www.johnchristou.com
ampmike

Les Pauls

Post by ampmike »

My dream guitar was a Black Les Paul custom ,It was 1975.My guitar teacher would give me the little brochures .I got a new Lespaul KM model tobacco sunburst in "79".To this day I just like the Gibson neck action and the fat humbuckers sound.Strats are definitely cool but a bit harder to play for me.I do love my Tele and play my firebird a lot.I would love to get a 335.But they are out of my price range now.Its funny all the stuff we didnt want back then are the stuff thats real expensive.A 335 was cheap back then,nobody wanted them.The 100 watt marshalls didnt break up unless you broke the windows with the vol.I did keep my 100 super trem.It has a master in it now and sounds darn good.A brand new goldtop in 75 was 400 bucks.I with I had some cash and a time travel gadgett :D Mikey Oh,and fender bassman heads used were in stacks in the used gear sec of the music store.75 bucks a piece :D OH the good ol days!!
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
xtian

Post by xtian »

I can't call a favorite. The world would be dim and grey without one or the other. I played Strat for 20 years (!) before discovering humbuckers. How sad is that? Now I love my SG (61 reissue), and I love my Tele, which is again a different beast from Strat. All good, all beautiful. Don't take away my Kodachrome!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
rp

Post by rp »

My first real good guitar was a '56 Special (1984 $800). Perfection for me and I prefer the Gibson scale. I can't play Strats, the 3 pickups confuse me, and as I can't even do it with one, what the hell I need 3 for! I always hit the switch when strumming. I sure like Teles though, maple and rosewood, but not more than Gibies. Maple sure is fast but I'm slow. As for SC pups and Fenders they might win out in the end but as friend once said, "P90s are the voice of God." Melody Maker pickups aren't chopped liver either. I've no Gibbies left :cry: except an old Epi Granada :D I got a pair of old G&Ls off craigslist 'cause I hate new shit and I'm poor now. Vote goes to Gibson.
rp

Post by rp »

and oh yeah, selection/variety. Gibson made these nice things too.

Vote: Gibson up 2. But their amps sucked, Leo's Fender never made a bad amp, that's worth 2 points. Tie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

I like 'em all! Viva la différence!
down technical blind alleys . . .