I piss myself off

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lord preset

I piss myself off

Post by lord preset »

So I was just about to finish all of the chassis drilling and cutouts on a Princeton-ish clone. Then I notice that I reversed the tube and transformer holes with respect to the front panel. I may very well be the first person to do this.

[img:446:480]http://s3.production.artbash.co.nz/5165 ... ullpic.jpg[/img]

New chassis ordered.

While I wait I think I will go fling some poo.
EtherealWidow

Re: I piss myself off

Post by EtherealWidow »

Haha. I literally just did this last night. I'm gonna run with it though. Luckily I only messed up on the placement of 2 preamp tubes. I could use them to run the PT wires through, but I don't think they make idiot sized grommets.

Also, I meant to drill a small hole for a little 120V lamp for a pilot light, but messed up and thought it was the spot for the input jack. It's way too big and now I'll just have to use the 6.3V lamp I have on hand and save the 120V's for a later build.

A princeton-ish clone? What era? I'm doing a very stripped down, cathode-biased 6G3. Chassis is SUPER small. Hope everything fits. :?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Oh no not me ever I've never done anything like that.

Ok, maybe 30 times in my life, but not in the last couple days that I know of... yet.

Newark, you are on the air with Larry King..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
lord preset

Post by lord preset »

EtherealWidow wrote: A princeton-ish clone? What era? I'm doing a very stripped down, cathode-biased 6G3. Chassis is SUPER small. Hope everything fits. :?
I'm using the Ceriatone Prinzetone design with SS rectification and a deluxe OT. It was going in a 16x8x2 dirty dawg chassis, plenty of room, but no more of those available :( . Now it's going in a 13 x 7 x 2 Hammond for complex reasons that make my head hurt.
Jana

Post by Jana »

What a dumbass. I have never done anything like that! Oh wait--I was looking in a mirror--never mind.

Email RJ. He might have a chassis about the size you are looking for.
darryl_h

Post by darryl_h »

But what if you've even installed the valve sockets and grommets, before realising the chassis is a throwaway. :evil:

[IMG:1024:384]http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr333/valvetone/2013%20Projects/snap15/421ea254-f931-4bc6-82e4-9c92555518ff_zps1b96bcdd.jpg[/img]

I detest cutting holes for IEC connectors, so having to repeat that process is particularly galling.
Dr-Joned

Post by Dr-Joned »

I would never do that either! Or at least not on an inexpensive chassis. Save the screwups for the expensive stuff!!
I Think I Think Too Much !
xtian

Post by xtian »

Yea. Me too. Hopefully only once. Nope, did it twice. So far.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
NickC

Post by NickC »

What's a few extra chassis holes? Not such a big deal. Consider this: Those extra chassis holes are a badge of honor. They prove you kept working at it until you achieved perfection. No-extra-chassis-holes could be interpreted as a sign of laziness. :wink:
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

NickC wrote:What's a few extra chassis holes? Not such a big deal. Consider this: Those extra chassis holes are a badge of honor. They prove you kept working at it until you achieved perfection. No-extra-chassis-holes could be interpreted as a sign of laziness. :wink:
I happen to agree strongly with this here. I've got a "D" HRM build that I tried to build tubes up. Oh man, it still ain't right. Someday I'll get back to it and make a JT45 out of that mess.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
drew

Post by drew »

darryl_h wrote:But what if you've even installed the valve sockets and grommets, before realising the chassis is a throwaway. :evil:

[IMG:1024:384]http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr333/valvetone/2013%20Projects/snap15/421ea254-f931-4bc6-82e4-9c92555518ff_zps1b96bcdd.jpg[/img]
But wait, you're in the Southern Hemisphere! Doesn’t that make it OK?
darryl_h

Post by darryl_h »

drew wrote: But wait, you're in the Southern Hemisphere! Doesn’t that make it OK?
Does it? That means all my other amplifiers must be wrong. [IMG:22:18]http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr333/valvetone/smilies/cry_1_zps859a493f.gif[/img]
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

NickC wrote:What's a few extra chassis holes?
Ventilation, man, ven-ti-lation! Amps NEED ventilation to be cool! And to let the smoke out...
down technical blind alleys . . .
Structo

Post by Structo »

drew wrote:
darryl_h wrote:But what if you've even installed the valve sockets and grommets, before realising the chassis is a throwaway. :evil:

But wait, you're in the Southern Hemisphere! Doesn’t that make it OK?
That's not a mistake that is a stereo! :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

RoFL!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.