good news, bad news

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

eniam rognab

good news, bad news

Post by eniam rognab »

i gots both!

GOOD: i got an electronics job!!!!!!! job title - solder monkey :lol:
i got a job with a company that services and customized high frequency battery chargers for electric vehicles. i work with a few engine-ears that do all the sticky diagnosing and troublesome troubleshooting, i get a line of units to disassemble and components to replace. rinse and repeat. fuck yeah!! not the easiest soldering, all the components have FAT leads, the PCB traces are like a quarter inch wide, and there is GOBS of lead free solder and varnish on everything. this is the best job of my life, hopefully turns into a career!

BAD: laid down my motorcycle on the way home from work :x fractured my cuboid bone :evil: (look it up, not easy to do... lucky me :? )

nobodys fault but the weather, at least thats what i am telling myself.... the fucking light rail runs on surface streets here in sacramento, weaving between and parallel to car lanes, i had to cross them at some point, rained here all day.... the tracks turned to teflon. car lane goes straight, light rail bears left. i cross the tracks at less than 15 mph and my rear wheel slides out-regains traction and throws me "high side" i managed to pick up my bike and push it to the curb before i felt my ankle. was going to be 3 hours and $100 for a two mile tow, thank god for friends with trucks!!!! i am actually thankful that thats all that happened!! fucking entropy

so, good and bad, yin and yang, upwards downwards and sidewards. gotta take it all i guess.

thanks for reading, i just needed to blow off some steam

best, worst day ever. or is it worst, best day ever?
eniam rognab

Re: good news, bad news

Post by eniam rognab »

im learnin all about foot bones!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Hope you heal up soon. I also hope it won't mess with your new job. Good luck on the job, BTW.

I was a solder monkey for a while, back when I was 22 or so (stone age). Built boards for pipeline inspection units. Then I wired the units & built the boxes the various components went in. Finally got a tech license and went back to the shop trouble shooting boards & stuff. It was long and long ago.

I did enjoy it. Don't breath too much solder flux smoke.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Sorry to learn of the injury. Bummer!

Glad to hear of the job. That's great, especially in this economy.

Best of luck with the new job and the recovery! Or, best of luck with the recovery and the new job.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

damn, i was really hoping it was just a bad dream..

this SUCKS :evil:

ok think positive, i can focus on my seated posture, i get to write a review of a motorcycle repair shop, learn to crutch while holding a tablet, catch up on my hobbling around, poke things with my crutches, new swear words, old swear words, gutteral throat noises of rage, boy so much fun!

thanks for your replies sepulcre an nickc, shouldnt interfere with my new job, as long as i can work out transpo....

luckily there is a convenient light rail system :? :roll: :cry:
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Good luck with the new job dude! Take care of that foot :o
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

That foot bone will fuse nicely with the other 100 bones of the foot. :)

Congrats on the solder monkey job.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Congrats on the new job
Get that foot fixed up real good.I know I wish I had taken better care Of mine after I broke it.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Sorry to hear about your spill, dude!

Hey, tell me about your handle, "eniam rognab". Sounds like pig latin. Bangor, Maine? But you said you're in Sacto. Place of birth?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

hi xtian!

yup, i grew up in bangor maine, actually "Glenburn" small little hamlet on Pushaw Lake and the Kenduskeag Stream. We call it the 'burn. left that place like a bat outta hell when i was 17, came to california working for the Student Conservation Association in the Mojave doing backcountry restoration and conservation work. after that i went to Colorado for a year, in the summer i built trail for the new Continental Divide Trail, mostly on Mt. Massive in Leadville. then worked as a chair-liftie at breckenridge over the winter. ended up bouncing around california for a few years and finally in ended sacramento, for now, what a long strange trip it has yet to be!!! im only 26!

so anyway, i have a t-shirt from Dysarts, that says bangor maine and when i saw myself in the mirror it stuck in my head, seemed pretty original
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

eniam rognab wrote:luckily there is a convenient light rail system
Commuters ride rails of light? Now THAT's advanced! Just don't exceed the speed limit, or you'll arrive before you left. How to explain that to the boss?

When you first mentioned your motorcycle I was gonna say be careful. Oh well too late for that. Be careful anyways & good luck on your new job. It's good to get a paycheck!
down technical blind alleys . . .
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Congratulations on the job! You are lucky to have one that you want to have. There is an old saying, if you do the job you like, you'll never work a day in your life.

Make an effort to take good care of that foot so that 40 years from now it won't ache and make life really unpleasant. I mean it. It is really important that it heals up correctly.

Good luck.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

thanks leo! i am sort of embarrassed :oops: i was so excited and i thought i was doing everything right, took a safety class, ride really defensively and carefully. the roads are just a dangerous place, no two ways about it, honestly it is the most dangerous thing you do on any given day. we all accept the risks we take and deal with those consequences. only thing you can do is learn and go forward with confidence.

more good news bad news!

Good: my bike is apparently in pretty good shape! some scratches and cosmetic damage, mirror and such, but it was a light "crash." My awesome friend came with his pickup and took it home, unloaded it and called his motorcycle enthusiast friend! must have flooded the engine when it fell because it wouldnt start after i picked it up, good thing to because i probably would have continued home on a broken foot. there are some really great people in this world

Bad: while dealing with all this bullshit somebody swiped two packages out of my mailbox. a solder sucker and butane solder torch i bought for my new job. the crackheads can probably use the torch if they can figure out how to fill it, but i wonder what they think the solder sucker is? less than $10 worth of ebay, but still there are some really shitty people in this world.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: painkillers
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Hang in there dood! Steel tracks meandering across lanes sounds like a very dangerous practice where two-wheeled vehicles are concerned. A little oil and water and...
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

eniam rognab wrote::lol: painkillers
Careful now! When I've been assigned such things, a quarter of the doc's recommended dose puts me in a space where I get dangerous and don't even want to run a soldering iron much less anything more complex. I tend to do stupid stuff like forget to turn off burners on the stove. And I find they don't kill pain as much as make me not care about how much it hurts. Your results may vary.

Chances are no matter what you do you'll get an ache in that foot when stormy weather approaches in the future. And that would be good for California - some rain - not having your foot hurt. Works for an elbow I busted at age 23. It was rattling me good just before this latest snow storm.
down technical blind alleys . . .