Diabetes has struck.

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JazzGuitarGimp

Diabetes has struck.

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

After years of over-eating and morbid obesity, my doctor handed down my sentence: Type II Diabetes. Unable to tell how long I've been this way as we finally have health insurance after seven years without it, so this was my first physical in seven years. I have started a juice fast with my doctor's recommendation. Fresh vegetable and fruits into the juicer just before consumption. There is a movie my doc recommended and it can be found on-line. It's called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (97 minutes) [www.fatsickandnearlydead.com]. It's quite inspirational.

I am on DAY 6 of my fast and I have not felt this good in a very long time. I've gotten to the point where I cannot be on my feet for more than five minutes without significant lower back pain. But this morning, for the first time, I was able to wash, prep and juice my veggies without significant pain. Also, this morning was the first time my fasting blood-sugar level was within normal range [98]. The threshold for diabetes is 100, and when my blood was tested in January, my fasting level was 126. I've started a facebook page if anyone here is interested in following my progress:

[www.facebook.com/Diminishing.Lou]

Having a "cheering section" has helped me with morale and it tends to keep me honest. That's easy to say on day 6, right? :-)

The morning of DAY 1, I was 5'8" tall, 307 lbs, 58" waistline (fully relaxed). I'll be checking and reporting [on facebook] my weight and waist each Sunday.

Cheers,
Lou
Last edited by JazzGuitarGimp on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
xtian

Re: Diabetes has struck.

Post by xtian »

Wow. Powerful and good news, Lou! Much strength to you.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
NickC

Post by NickC »

Howdy Lou,

I am an experienced Type II diabetic (10+ years). I am on heavy doses of oral meds and insulin injections. Feel free to PM me about this situation any time you care to, if you care to. I'll try to help with information (even if only anecdotal) any way I can.

Best Wishes,
Nick
TNblueshawk

Post by TNblueshawk »

Lou, dieting sucks man however one does what one has to do and it appears you are there. Stay at it and don't get discouraged if you have an "off" day here and there. It's a marathon not a sprint to get youself healthy.

It's a mind game with yourself and your mind is strong so just stay at it.

I wish you well on your new quest.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Hang in there, man!
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Guys,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am seeing very positive results in just six days - it's pretty amazing, really.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Stay the course, Lou. Exercise is key as well, both cardio and strength. Start very slowly with brief and easy workouts and increase intensity and duration in very small increments over time. This is not a temporary fix, so find things you enjoy once you are in a little better shape.

I saw that move a couple of years ago and was inspired as well. I aspire to juice more often than I do, but even two or three days a week of the mean green makes a difference in how I feel.

I am 50 and run 12+ miles a week and still struggle to keep my weight reasonable close to where I want it. Diet and exercise are both important, but you cannot out train your diet. I was eating giant plates of Tex-Mex until I hit 30 without gaining an ounce. Now I have to settle for a fraction of what I used to eat.

Also, don't focus just on the scale. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you will see saw up and down as you go, but the overall trend will be downward over time.
David Root

Post by David Root »

I've been type 2 for a few years now. I'm 5'-6". I used to weigh over 200 lbs. Thanks to some major surgery 2 years ago that put me in hospital for 4 months and no booze since just before the surgery I now weigh 138 lbs.

Now I don't eat like I used to either. Probably a bit less than half what I used to eat.
I take 2x500mg Metformin and 1x30mg Diamicron MR daily. My fasting blood sugar first thing in the morning is well within the normal range for a non-diabetic, and I do NOT exercise.

Now I'm not bragging here, just seconding what Lou's doctor told him, based on my own experience. Eat less, lose the booze, and you will lose a LOT of weight surprisingly quickly. And of course exercise will help, I just can't bring myself to do more than two out of three!.

All the best Lou, believe me it WILL keep on getting so much better, in a year or so you will have a hard time believing how much better!
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Best Wishes Lou.
And be aware that your efforts inspire others.
But no pressure - one day at a time.
Bob
Why Aye Man
briane

Post by briane »

congratulations for taking the big step! itll be tough, but worth it.

We all have something that sneaks up on us as we get older.

just stay the course!
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
passfan

Post by passfan »

Stay with it Lou , I'm rooting for you.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
drew

Post by drew »

Kind of surprised the doctor would recommend the juicing. All it really does is make it easier to consume a lot more than you would if you had to actually sit there and chew up and swallow all that stuff.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

good for you! not the diabetes, that sux :oops:

you are going to do great lou, i believes!
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

Hang in there. I've had age smack me up side the head and had to make lifestyle changes.

I'm bound and determined to subvert my grandkids.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

drew wrote:Kind of surprised the doctor would recommend the juicing. All it really does is make it easier to consume a lot more than you would if you had to actually sit there and chew up and swallow all that stuff.
But you're juicing veggies and fruits, not chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes. Other than the natural sugars found in fruits, which are still very healthy but something for a diabetic to watch, I don't think one can juice enough!
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.