Steely Dan, it's time for a talk.

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: And he plays guitar well too

Post by LeftyStrat »

skyboltone wrote:
ampdoc1 wrote:Just watched the Aja video and was trolling for some info on Skunk Baxter when i came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GRkCyvIz70

Interesting man.
Good grief! I had NO idea. This is remarkable stuff man. I'm only about 20 minutes and I got to finish it later but it's stunning. Musical improvisation and missile defense systems......who would have thunk.
I had no idea, it completely blew me away.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
TNblueshawk

Re: Steely Dan, it's time for a talk.

Post by TNblueshawk »

I'm not sure what I'm more impressed with, the making of Aja or Skunk and his brains.
badtweed

Re: And he plays guitar well too

Post by badtweed »

LeftyStrat wrote:
skyboltone wrote:
ampdoc1 wrote:Just watched the Aja video and was trolling for some info on Skunk Baxter when i came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GRkCyvIz70

Interesting man.
Good grief! I had NO idea. This is remarkable stuff man. I'm only about 20 minutes and I got to finish it later but it's stunning. Musical improvisation and missile defense systems......who would have thunk.
I had no idea, it completely blew me away.
On a couple of occasions Jeff dropped in to visit Roland to discuss product development when I was director of ops for their RAD facility in La Mirada CA. He was always quite entertaining and loaded with plenty of ideas regarding guitar tech. A super great guy. He grew up in Mexico city and he was first trained on classical piano and played in a band with Hendrix. An intelligent and versatile player.
drew

Post by drew »

Donald and Walter with Marian McPartland right now:

http://kcsm.org/jazz91/index.php
drew

Post by drew »

duplicate
TNblueshawk

Post by TNblueshawk »

Steely Dan is coming to the Ryman in Nashville. I think I might go.
NickC

Post by NickC »

TNblueshawk wrote:Steely Dan is coming to the Ryman in Nashville. I think I might go.
That would be an excellent room to see/hear them in. 8)
TNblueshawk

Post by TNblueshawk »

NickC wrote:
TNblueshawk wrote:Steely Dan is coming to the Ryman in Nashville. I think I might go.
That would be an excellent room to see/hear them in. 8)
That's what I was thinking. I saw them when they came out of hiding many years ago in an ampitheatre we used to have here but that will pale in comparison.

Now I have to free my wife's grip up on the expensive tickets that they are. She wants to go so you take the hit as a family if you will. But at least I'll have a memory for my money versus other crap I have nothing to show for when blowing money.
talbany

Post by talbany »

MY SD rant..

Steely Dan for me always sounded like some studio musicians that came in and read off a score or a chart, did a zillion takes until all the emotion and fire and drama has left them 30 takes ago...This usually translated for me into a band that lacked a certain energy or excitement and drama in their studio work..The video shows this ..I would much rather hear a group of guy's that each have their own unique style and when all those styles come together there is some magic and let them do their thing and capture some of that energy..The Stones are an extreme example of this..
Not saying that all The Dan's music was like that but for me most of it was
They were no doubt great songwriters and some of the best musicians at the time..Engineering and sound quality were of coarse all excellent..

I have never seen a live show and am sure these were different, and I would enjoy it more than their studio stuff..

I had the unique opportunity to play Josie live with Jeff Baxter at a DC Congressional Party about 8 years ago..GREAT GUY and brilliant guitar player

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

talbany wrote:MY SD rant..

Steely Dan for me always sounded like some studio musicians that came in and read off a score or a chart, did a zillion takes until all the emotion and fire and drama has left them 30 takes ago...This usually translated for me into a band that lacked a certain energy or excitement and drama in their studio work..The video shows this ..I would much rather hear a group of guy's that each have their own unique style and when all those styles come together there is some magic and let them do their thing and capture some of that energy..The Stones are an extreme example of this..
Not saying that all The Dan's music was like that but for me most of it was
They were no doubt great songwriters and some of the best musicians at the time..Engineering and sound quality were of coarse all excellent..

I have never seen a live show and am sure these were different, and I would enjoy it more than their studio stuff..

I had the unique opportunity to play Josie live with Jeff Baxter at a DC Congressional Party about 8 years ago..GREAT GUY and brilliant guitar player

Tony
I agree Tony in general as to SD,and especially as far as the vid.
The guitar player at least brings a little excitement with his playing, but the rest of the band, including Becker and Fagan do not look like they are having fun.
Quite the opposite in fact.
rp

Post by rp »

talbany wrote:Steely Dan for me always sounded like some studio musicians that came in and read off a score or a chart, did a zillion takes until all the emotion and fire and drama has left them 30 takes ago
I think that was the point. Kind of like human compression, rather than plugging straight in.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Steely Dan = note perfect.

Now, I understand that level of attention and care doesn't float everyones boat. Some feel that level of attention-to-detail squeezes the "life" out of the music. It certainly tends to squeeze much of the improvisation out of it (with their reputation for studio methodology and countless takes over the course of years and years, how is improv to survive?).

I know some folks don't care for that. Some folks would rather listen to Ornette Coleman (God help them). But I much prefer listening to Steely Dan than Ornette Coleman. I can listen to Steely Dan for hours. After 15 minutes of Ornette, my head wants to explode (God help me) in a bad way.
talbany

Post by talbany »

NickC wrote:Steely Dan = note perfect.

Now, I understand that level of attention and care doesn't float everyones boat. Some feel that level of attention-to-detail squeezes the "life" out of the music. It certainly tends to squeeze much of the improvisation out of it (with their reputation for studio methodology and countless takes over the course of years and years, how is improv to survive?).

I know some folks don't care for that. Some folks would rather listen to Ornette Coleman (God help them). But I much prefer listening to Steely Dan than Ornette Coleman. I can listen to Steely Dan for hours. After 15 minutes of Ornette, my head wants to explode (God help me) in a bad way.
There it is the beauty of music..Too each is own.. 8)

Who the Hell is Ornette Coleman?

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
NickC

Post by NickC »

talbany wrote: ..............

Who the Hell is Ornette Coleman?

Tony

This is a question best left unanswered. Ignorance is bliss! Do not go there young grasshopper! :wink:
rp

Post by rp »

Sorry guys, you need to broaden your world. The early OC Quartet albums on Atlantic are some of the most beautiful music ever made. Maybe should start with Shape Of... or Change Of... This is Our... Rather than Free Jazz which is the most famous. Funny, after all that came after this stuff seems rather melodic and mellow, certainly not difficult music, at least in 2014.

I remember reading in a Guitar Player interview with Becker and Fagen when asked who they'd like most to play with answered Charlie Parker - assuming you could play with a dead musician. Had Parker been 20 years old in 1960 he'd have been OC. Styles ain't mutually exclusive.

If it were up to me only Anthony Braxton and Cecil Taylor in your stockings next Christmas. You'd have to decide if it was intended as candy or coal.