Steely Dan, it's time for a talk.

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cbass

Re: Steely Dan, it's time for a talk.

Post by cbass »

skyboltone wrote:. So it's your contention that Donald is whispering sweet nothings like "I thought our little wild thing, had just begun" and "You must have scared yourself, you turn and run" to Rick Derringer? T

<<<<Well, now I've gone and checked. Derringer did play slide on a couple of songs from that era. I still don't think Fagen's got his tongue in Derringer's ear though.>>>>
Well in all fairness RD is a good looking man
NickC wrote:
TNblueshawk wrote:From there we can go to some Pink Floyd lyrics pre Meddle that is.
Yes! The vocalizations in Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict are fascinatingly obscure.
That song warped my brain when I was a little kid

SD sounds like elevator music to me .I get it. they are really good musicians.I don't really relate to their songs maybe I just ain't smart enough to figure it out.
I'd rather hear sum skynyrd
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

This whole great thread is getting soooooo close to
"Is Paul dead?" that was heard so much in the fabulous 60s, which, having been there, I don't remember.
talbany

Post by talbany »

If you really look at it..The deck was stacked against SD from the start

In the early 70's not many groups were fusing Jazz and Rock commercially and getting away with it..So how do you write a more Jazz based song and get it played on a Rock station in the 70's ..You also have to generate some kind of mystique around band that gives you a kind of image..Some bands like Floyd could do it with their lyrics,songwriting.. Some did it by being really good musicians and some drank and did drugs to help generate an image...Since SD was never really known for being a band they had to do it with their musicianship,songwriting ..Still you have to give them credit for fusing Jazz and Rock that hit such a wide audience at the time when Stairway to Heaven was the big hit and not have there music come across as a stoggy group of guy's that wanted to play Jazz and have their music doomed to be played in only elevators,which I am sure they were scared to death of that happening..Ultimately they ended up in the Rock section anyway.

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
cbass

Post by cbass »

I heard don't lose that number was about this Rikki
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RCGPNY1

Post by RCGPNY1 »

BTW...Elliot Randall did not play the solo in "Reelin in the Years". The solo is actually played by Jeff Baxter...according to Elliot. Elliot does play the figure before the solos. Also, according to a friend of mine that won a Grammy for co-engineering "Gaucho" although many people try to attach
great significance to SD lyrics, many times the lyrics are chosen because"Donald likes the cadence or sound of the word".
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

cbass wrote:
skyboltone wrote:. So it's your contention that Donald is whispering sweet nothings like "I thought our little wild thing, had just begun" and "You must have scared yourself, you turn and run" to Rick Derringer? T

<<<<Well, now I've gone and checked. Derringer did play slide on a couple of songs from that era. I still don't think Fagen's got his tongue in Derringer's ear though.>>>>
Well in all fairness RD is a good looking man
NickC wrote:
TNblueshawk wrote:From there we can go to some Pink Floyd lyrics pre Meddle that is.
Yes! The vocalizations in Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict are fascinatingly obscure.
That song warped my brain when I was a little kid

SD sounds like elevator music to me .I get it. they are really good musicians.I don't really relate to their songs maybe I just ain't smart enough to figure it out.
I'd rather hear sum skynyrd
Got to agree, we cover a steely number in the band I play with but I really do not get them as a group, I was trying to nail the solo for "do it again" and I really don't get it at all, it may be I,m not technical enough but it leaves me unmoved, now a guitarist like the late great Gary Moore gets me every time no matter what I listen to of his
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

RCGPNY1 wrote:BTW...Elliot Randall did not play the solo in "Reelin in the Years". The solo is actually played by Jeff Baxter...according to Elliot. Elliot does play the figure before the solos.
Reely? See: http://elliott-randall.com/2011/05/idio ... os-improv/