Do we have any cigar smokers here?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RWood

Re: Do we have any cigar smokers here?

Post by RWood »

skyboltone wrote:
RWood wrote:Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Signature Cameroon Perfecto or
Padron 1964 Aniversario Exclusivo Maduro Robusto.... with a snifter of Brandy please!!!
Not sure about the Fuente but that Padron is amazing. It's a treat. For an ordinary smoker, the Padron 2000 is just fine.
I onlyhave one on special occasions these days so I try to treat myself to the best I can afford. On my birthday a friend took me to a cigar bar where he treated me to the Padron Maduro Robusto. WOW!

The Fuente Perfecto was christmas.
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

My neighbor is a big cigar buff, and he brings one over for me now and then, and we sit on the back porch and puff.

He usually brings me what he calls his favorite "girly-man" cigar, which is an Ashton in the Petite Corona size. Ashton cigars are known for their mildness.

I rarely finish one - I must be doing it wrong, because I always get a cigar buzz when I smoke one :?
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

That's the nicotine hitting you Ken. Ashtons are good but also good for that kick. I don't like it all, it takes away from the flavor of the tobacco as far as I'm concerned and tend to stay away from those. The best thing to do with cigars like that is smoke them only after a full meal and take it slow. The Camacho Triple Maduro will knock even the most veteran smoker on their butt if they go to fast with it.

There's a big difference between mild tasting and mild from a nicotine standpoint. They are not always separate. I prefer low-nicotine, full-flavor with some spice which is why I like the AJ Fernandez lines so much. The Ashton VSG is a great cigar but way out of my price range.
--Jim

"He's like a new set of strings, he just needs to be stretched a bit."
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

IMHO, The Pardon (really any series) are about as close as you can get to a real Cuban at a fairly reasonable price. The Serie 1926, is expensive as hell, but wow, what a smoke.
Ron
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

There are too many great non-Cuban cigars to mess around with the legality of it for me. I've had several CCs and there were good and bad in those as well. Many that I've had were way overrated.

But you're right, the Padrons are a top-notch cigar, just way too expensive for me.
--Jim

skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Near the Canadian border, on the Canadian side, there are always shops advertising Genuine Cuban cigars at discounted prices.

Most "in the know" folks doubt it very much. Same goes with visiting Mexico. It's hard to tell what you're getting. I buy from Thompson's and you can be pretty sure of what they sell; just not Cuban's. Currently the 1926 series Padron is close to $30 bucks. They go well with your Pappy Van Winkle whiskey. Or so I guess. Both are way out of my league.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
thejaf

Post by thejaf »

fusionbear wrote:I enjoy a Fuentes Hemingway every now and then, but I prefer smoking pipes. I like English and Balkan blends most, but also enjoy a great Virginia blend like Marlin Flake.

I did a whole bunch of reviews at tobbaccoreviews.com

My handle there is: RCUSElder
Wow, you basically posted my initial response to this thread verbatim :D

My "problem" with cigars, is once I experienced better and better sticks, I can no longer be satisfied with the routine players. Few years back I found a reliable local source for my favorite Cuban (Montecristo #2), and my all time best experience was a Diplomaticos torpedo. It was so good I had to cease all activity and recline on the living room (fancy) sofa, and tune out the entire world for 45 minutes just to savory the sweet, creamy, thick coffee and leather flavor with wisps of aged hay and barnyard overtones.

Got too expensive, and now I've learned to really love pipe smoking. I'll load a pipe or two just about every evening, once when I get home and throwing Frisbee for the dog or after dinner, a nice VA flake; then usually an hour or so before bed when I'm just winding down and reading, usually a thick Balkan (Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake is awesome).

Back to cigars, maybe somebody who's been more obsessive than I have can answer this question: Almost every good Cuban cigar I've had contained a faintly sweet, musky creamlike overtone. That's the best I can describe it. A fellow cigar enthusiast said it smells similar to leather saddle conditioner. I've only experienced this in three non-Cuban cigars: one of Pete Johnson's s El Triunfador, Feliipe Gregorio Pelo De Oro, and a small brand from Miami that's now defunct (can't remember the name, began with a C)
flintrock

Post by flintrock »

I like a good CAO or a Los Blancos. Bassist friend of mine owns a tobacco shop here in Fylint maybe you've heard of it Paul's Pipe Shop. They have the world record for longest time smoking one bowl. Everytime I go there its like a step back into 1920, it really hasn't changed at all.
Owner/luthier of Flintrock Guitar Shop, Flint, MI.
Owner of Hawkins Effects Pedals
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

flintrock wrote:I like a good CAO or a Los Blancos. Bassist friend of mine owns a tobacco shop here in Fylint maybe you've heard of it Paul's Pipe Shop. They have the world record for longest time smoking one bowl. Every time I go there its like a step back into 1920, it really hasn't changed at all.
I love those old places. When I was a young sprite there was a tobacco store called "Joselyn's" in Santa Cruz California. The reason I ended up in there so often was they also had fishing gear and every magazine known to man and they couldn't care less if you never bought one. I used to spend hours in there reading flying, fishing, and hunting magazines and smelling the wonderful aromas. I smoked pipe for many years and still have a half dozen stashed away. There was a tobacconist in Fairbanks who mixed up a blend he called "Black Bear". I still have some sealed up and aging nicely for when the wife is out of town. She's a tobacco nazi unfortunately, but then again, the stuff is not very good for you. I persist though on a very occasional basis.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

Flintrock, I'll try to stop by that store the next time I'm over there. It's a couple hours away so I rarely get to that part of the state but I always stop in to stores when I'm in another city. Timothy's in Bay City is pretty nice.

My local B&M is in Mt. Pleasant and I frequent one in Midland since I'm over there a couple times a month for work.

I got into pipes pretty heavy several years ago and have my great-grandfather's pipe but I haven't lit one in probably four years now.
--Jim

cbass

Post by cbass »

Honestly I prefer to remove the tobacky and make it wacky
DLR is a Captain beefheart wannabe