Our Future

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sepulchre

Our Future

Post by sepulchre »

Anybody watch "Cosmos"? I just saw episode 12, "The World Set Free" and I think it should be required viewing in our schools. Heck, I think it should be required viewing for everybody but that wouldn't go over too good. (bad grammar, I know)

Even if you're not that much into 'science shows' give it a view. It's online (and on demand with some TV providers). Try to keep your great grand children in mind.
Colossal

Re: Our Future

Post by Colossal »

Watched every episode.
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

Me too!
I really dig their approach. Whether or not Sagan would approve of his legacy matters not to me!
Cheers,
Dave O.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Neil deGrasse Tyson is a great host.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

I kind of like NDT, but this particular episode made feel dumber for having watched it. For an astrophysicist, Tyson sure doesn't know shit about Venus. Venus is hot because it doesn't have water. It doesn't have water because it doesn't have a magnetic field.

My favorite episode was the one about Faraday and even that played fast and loose with the facts of the experiments for dramatic effect. Wish they'd do one on Dirac; he was a crazy man.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Firestorm wrote:Wish they'd do one on Dirac; he was a crazy man.
PAM Dirac? Now you're talkin! Throw in Ollie Heaviside and Dave Hilbert, you got a SHOW. Of course it'll be over 99.9% of the punters' heads but hey those guys had it going.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Plus Feynman. The Dirac equation predicts four electrons. The one we know, the positron, which was subsequently discovered, plus spin-up and spin-down states of each. Feynman added the forward in time versus backward in time business that would allow electron-positron superposition without violating Pauli, and implies that the net energy of the universe is zero. There's untapped stuff in Dirac's work.
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

You can knock NDT all you want, but compared to the other utter shit that is called TV today, COSMOS and NDT are fucking brilliant!! I like Sagan's version better myself.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Firestorm wrote:Plus Feynman. The Dirac equation predicts four electrons. The one we know, the positron, which was subsequently discovered, plus spin-up and spin-down states of each. Feynman added the forward in time versus backward in time business that would allow electron-positron superposition without violating Pauli, and implies that the net energy of the universe is zero. There's untapped stuff in Dirac's work.
I was saving Feynman for his own umm.... series of shows. Just one would not do.

I cannot get out of my mind, Dr Feynman picking the O-ring out of a glass of ice water and snapping it in half. Demonstrating what happened to the Challenger. Sometimes it's the simplest things.

His autobiographies are recommended reading for all. Plus "Genius". He wasnt' afraid to argue with "the best in the business", Nils Bohr for instance, on the Manhattan project. NOT a yes-man, by far. Also to demonstrate to the so-called security guys, he could pull reams of paper out of the back of "locked" file cabinets. We still have the same kind of security "theater" and pay dearly for it in the USA. Good thing he was working for us. Before somebody mentions it, yes he lent his car to Klaus Fuchs, who was sending the Manhattan Project's secrets to the USSR. Well Feynman didn't know that and sure wasn't happy about it when Fuchs was found out.
down technical blind alleys . . .
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I like all the scientific stuff on TV or youtube. I have not watched all episodes of Comos though. :)
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

The point of episode 12 is that we are destroying our environment. At this rate our great grand children have a Very bleak out look indeed. :cry:

I wish they would have programs about all the amazingly talented scientists out there. I read biographies of these guys. But that's not why I posted this. We, as a world wide society - Especially we in the U.S., Must wake up and change how we live.

Yeah yeah, I'm a bleeding heart. Blah blah . . just watch this. The numbers are not lying.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Relax. If the data don't support the hypothesis, it's the hypothesis that's wrong, not the data.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

sepulchre wrote:The point of episode 12 is that we are destroying our environment. At this rate our great grand children have a Very bleak out look indeed. :cry:
Queue Talking Heads...

...We're on the road to nowhere, come on along
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Way to much so called "settled" science" for me. All the way through the damn thing they would bend the data to fit the theory. Especially biological and genetic data. It's disappointing. Feynman would DEFINITELY not approve. I can't for the life of me figure out why any scientist would buy into a television series that is so stuck on proving shit that simply isn't proven.

Still, as Darren says, it's 100 times better than anything else on TV so I watch all of it and grouse and grumble when it strays from where the data leads. Science advances by challenging itself. When it stops doing that it becomes entertainment.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

skyboltone wrote:Way to much so called "settled" science" for me. All the way through the damn thing they would bend the data to fit the theory. Especially biological and genetic data. It's disappointing. Feynman would DEFINITELY not approve. I can't for the life of me figure out why any scientist would buy into a television series that is so stuck on proving shit that simply isn't proven.

Still, as Darren says, it's 100 times better than anything else on TV so I watch all of it and grouse and grumble when it strays from where the data leads. Science advances by challenging itself. When it stops doing that it becomes entertainment.
I hear ya Dan, but I think the message is aimed at those that can't be bothered to look up from their smart phones long enough to avoid stepping out into traffic.