Whaa??? Mill Hill amps??

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mmmoser

Whaa??? Mill Hill amps??

Post by mmmoser »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mill-Hill-Audio ... 4625bb0d2c

OK- I thought this was a typo. But no, its $6000 bucks. Why?? Anybody ever played one of these things?
Frugal Amps
Cantplay

Re: Whaa??? Mill Hill amps??

Post by Cantplay »

Neatly wired, but I am so not a fan of all the same color wire.

John
Do not limit yourself to what others think is reasonable or possible.

www.johnchristou.com
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

mmmoser wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mill-Hill-Audio ... 4625bb0d2c

OK- I thought this was a typo. But no, its $6000 bucks. Why?? Anybody ever played one of these things?

#1 off the production line and sold by the maker himself. Might be a bargain, might be a tad overpriced. Too early to tell. :)
Dr-Joned

Post by Dr-Joned »

He has some pretty neat looking stuff.

http://www.millhillaudio.com/
I Think I Think Too Much !
passfan

Post by passfan »

Lets all go watch the auction for him and get him all excited :twisted:
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Well, you have to keep in mind that it comes with Free Shipping! :)
da Geezer

Post by da Geezer »

I think you guys are makin' a mountain out of a mill hill..... :D
DonMoose

Post by DonMoose »

Boutique volumes for parts, all that hand labor on just the finishes let alone the build. Yeah $6k is a lot, but we're talking Kirkham Motor Sports cobra vs. Factory Five.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

IMHO, I don't think he expects to sell it. This is a way of getting inexpensive publicity. The cost to post the auction is very low.

Is there anyone else here who doesn't like where the controls and input jacks are positioned? It's not the unconventional location. It's the way he's got the tubes and trannies exposed right next to them. It seems like an accident looking for a place to happen. I am having some difficulty understanding why a boutique maker didn't put up some sort of panel or screen in front of the tubes and trannies and the same for no back panel present. I'm all for allowing ventilation (use grill cloth, a fancy design cut into the panel or swiss cheese effect on plexi), but it just seems wrong for a production amp being sold to the public. I think the treatment shown is only acceptable when the builder is keeping the amp for himself. Call me "Mr. Picky."
NickC

Post by NickC »

Phil_S wrote:IMHO, I don't think he expects to sell it. This is a way of getting inexpensive publicity. The cost to post the auction is very low.

Is there anyone else here who doesn't like where the controls and input jacks are positioned? It's not the unconventional location. It's the way he's got the tubes and trannies exposed right next to them. It seems like an accident looking for a place to happen. I am having some difficulty understanding why a boutique maker didn't put up some sort of panel or screen in front of the tubes and trannies and the same for no back panel present. I'm all for allowing ventilation (use grill cloth, a fancy design cut into the panel or swiss cheese effect on plexi), but it just seems wrong for a production amp being sold to the public. I think the treatment shown is only acceptable when the builder is keeping the amp for himself. Call me "Mr. Picky."

I concur with your conclusion that he doesn't intend to sell it. It is a silly and impractical design.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

His website site clearlys tells me why the designs are as they are dangerous for the operator: because he was military trained and as they tell you in the service you're not paid to think you do as you are told.

Complete waste of money and the video was horrible sounding. :)
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

passfan wrote:Lets all go watch the auction for him and get him all excited :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm down with that! Who else is in?
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

im confused, which is the front and back? :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: liquor in the front, poker in the back?? :lol: :lol:
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

I went through and actually did some reading on the website, listened to the one clip available (Recorded with an Iphone) and seriously find this to be some of the most hilarious shit I've ever seen. You'd think amps of this caliber would be professionally recorded. Sounds like shit and I don't hear The Response. Just shit. The tragedy is that some of the stuff actually does look cool, but obviously the guy expects people to fall for his bullshit. I think he could've done well if his prices weren't laughable. I see a guy that's invested money in cabs, chassis and paint, and really doesn't have a grasp on getting tone out of an amp, merely knows how to build one that works. The cabs don't look right to me at all. All of this should make one feel very good about his or her own builds. The way the prices are set would allow many builders here to sell $10k+ dollar amps. This guy can't do well. :lol:

Oh, get the Summer amp while you still can! Limited to 1000 pieces and only $5k! 3.5w with one control, and it's for volume. Hey, at least it's class A. :lol: