Suggestions for a few days in Chicago (and hinterland)

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

roberto

Suggestions for a few days in Chicago (and hinterland)

Post by roberto »

Hi, I'll be in Chicago with a colleague for three days in the first days of November.
Do you have any suggestion on what I can visit both in the downtown and in the hinterland?
Not strictly related to music.

Thank you in advance guys.
Roberto
John_P_WI

Re: Suggestions for a few days in Chicago (and hinterland)

Post by John_P_WI »

IF you are downtown then you must experience Michigan Avenue and the "Gold Coast". November can be cold, be prepared for the wind if you are walking about. Too many places in the "Loop" to discuss, there is virtually anything you could think of. South of the Loop are the museums, planetarium and aquarium.

While in Chicago, you have to have our version of the "Italian Beef" dipped in the juice topped with giardiniera peppers.

This is a broad suggestions, I'm sure the locals can suggest more...
DonMoose

Post by DonMoose »

Buddy Guy's place (don't recall actual name)
Second City
The Blackstone ($$$ hotel, $$$$ breakfast)
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

DonMoose wrote:Buddy Guy's place (don't recall actual name)
Legends, IIRC just a little south of Downtown between S. State and Michigan Ave. Small club, saw Tab Benoit there... Great show.
Last edited by John_P_WI on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roberto

Post by roberto »

Thank you John,
I'll be at McCormick Place from 30th October to 5th November for an exposition of companies producing equipments for beverage industries.
Then I'll have my flight back to Italy on saturday's night, 8th november.

I wrote downtown, but the hotel for the last three days is not booked yet, so we are quite free as per our base camp.

Feel free also to suggest some restaurants, maybe with local food (that's something I always do when I travel, and I do pretty often being the second seller after the sales manager of a company that works mainly with Africa, Middle East, a bit of Europe and Australia).

If you think there's something around chicago that worths a visit, even by plane, please suggest.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Yeah, McCormick is just south of Downtown. Literally just across the freeway is Chinatown on S. State and Archer street, great restaurant at the far end of the "China town strip" is Lao Szechuan - the very far end - and it occupies both floors - spicy and authentic. The area is experiencing quite a revival of late with the "prairie district" condominiums etc.

Go up Michigan ave to the John Hancock tower and have drinks on the 90 something floor... Great views, will be dark fairly early, the city is beautiful at night.
DonMoose

Post by DonMoose »

If you're into architecture, the Robie House on University of Chicago campus is pretty awesome. Also see 'The Rookery' downtown, the Frank Lloyd Wright Studio, the Unity Temple, Pleasant Home and the Ernest Hemingway museum in Oak Park.

Food? Most anywhere you go it will be _goooood_. Do watch your beverage intake - those Chicago bartenders pour HEAVY.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I was there about 15 years ago between Christmas and New Years for software training in the suburbs. What I brought with me wasn't warm enough. I bought a warmer stocking hat and maybe long underwear, warmer gloves or both! I had a rented car and got caught by a cop for blocking the box, but he gave me a warning, whew. One evening, I went downtown to the loop. I chose a restaurant at random. I ate beef, figuring that was the right thing to order in Chicago and so it was! Then I picked a dive bar that had music. I have no idea who I saw -- a bunch of old guys playing the blues, and they were really cookin'! It was a fun evening, even if it was cold. You'll find lots to do. Enjoy.
mcrracer

Post by mcrracer »

If you like live Blues look up the Kingston Mines and Blues on Halsted. They are across the street from each other on 2546 North Halsted Chicago IL. Look on their calendar to see who will be here then. You may run into all sorts of famous people there.
http://www.kingstonmines.com/
roberto

Post by roberto »

Thank you DonMoose, Phil_S and mcrracer!

Yes, I would like to hear some nice music, and maybe go to the blues jam on monday ( :lol: :lol: :lol: then I'll say I've played with a band in USA :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

Nice idea some drinks at 90th floor and some architecture!

I absolutely have to bring with me my reflex and at least a pair of lens...
mcrracer

Post by mcrracer »

PM me when you get here. I will be glad to meet you at the "Mines" I'll bring my bass.
Marlon
roberto

Post by roberto »

Sure! It will be a pleasure!
I hope to be there in time to play together!

As for the latests two nights, do you have some suggestions on economically affordable hotels? The first one costs absolutely too much.

Thank you all!
Roberto
mcrracer

Post by mcrracer »

I don't know much about the hotels. I have never stayed in one downtown! All I can suggest is checking the Net.
Marlon
DonMoose

Post by DonMoose »

One more (rather odd) idea - if you're into particle physics at all, FermiLab in Batavia offers tours:
http://www.fnal.gov/pub/visiting/tours/
roberto

Post by roberto »

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! ...but I'll be at the expo on wednesday.