LP Scratch build

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

telentubes

Re: LP Scratch build

Post by telentubes »

More body color shots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I've narrowed top color down to one of these. Always like the yellows, but got to inspect this reddish sunburst in person at NAMM last week and thought it was one of the best I've ever seen. The photo does not do it justice. Had that early 1900s Gibson mandolin aged for decades vibe. I think it was the prototype for "Collectors Choice #5". The body is dark red mahogany with blackish pore filler. Awesome look. I'm leaning towards that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Structo

Post by Structo »

That is coming along nicely.

I also like the red mahogany on back and neck.

That is the way my LP Traditional is and was one of the criteria I desired on an LP.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Nothing does it for me like those citrusy lemonbursts. If your looking for opinions, I would go for matching the top photo of that burst.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I started with a lemon burst but it didn't grab me, so moved on to the red sunburst.

I was trying for the look of the red Gibson in the first picture, but ended up over-saturating the colors. The photo doesn't show how flamboyant my first attempt really is. Stain on bare wood looks drastically different once you spray on a coat of lacquer, so it's hard to tell how much color you need on the bare wood. Red will really come out, and dark colors seem to lighten and become more transparent with added coats of clear. Sometimes I go too far. Hard to keep all the variables straight.

I will sit with it for a day or two, and see how it looks with the hardware placed on the top. Might end up stripping it back and try for something a little more subtle.

The last shot is a picture of another Gibson that I like. I may try for something along those lines.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

nail it. that's it. that looks like a new burst.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Beauty!

Maybe someone can answer my question.

Why does Gibson's aged plastic look pink?
My 2012 Trad. has it.

I had that problem on a Tele I built with P90's.

The covers had that sick pink shade.

I had to search but found some covers that were actually cream colored.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

it's just someone's mistake in selecting pigments and they probably spec'ed it under crappy lighting.

Gibson wants you to hate it and 'upgrade'.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
moj067

Post by moj067 »

I've had luck w/ walnut pore filler, then a mahogany stain, the a spray of that heritage cherry your spraying. Then you can tint w/ amber to age. Your mileage may vary as they say. Glad your project is shaping up.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Originals are pore filled with old scoo' wood filler blended into walnut stain... oddly the gold tops are filled with the same filler mixed in a naptha based asphalt stain that you make by destroying state property.

A road.

lol

You finicky guys and your masking. Stop that!

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0[/url]
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I stripped it, so I'll be going for the "refinished in '72" look.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Let's see!
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Color-B-Gone.
First step was to strip the second attempt at coloring the top.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

:)
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Next I colored the bare wood with ColorTone Stain, applied and blended with small folded squares of cotton.
The interior is amber mixed from yellow and red. The perimeter (sunburst) is the burgundy I mixed to color the mahogany body and neck. Hard to believe it's the same color.

The next step was to darken the burst with the same burgundy body color, but sprayed on this time. Still on bare wood.

Next I sprayed the outer edge of the sunburst with Mission Brown mixed with a good splash of Black (the black is really dark blue purple which reads black when concentrated).

Lastly, I sprayed a coat of sealer, which makes the color fast, and gives you an idea of what it might look like when lacquered. It's still not telling you the exact colors, still just ball park.