Unauthorized 8.1 Upgrade

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

boots

Unauthorized 8.1 Upgrade

Post by boots »

Microsoft has taken it on themselves to upgrade my Windows 8 to 8.1 without my permission! All my documents, photos, and everything else are inaccessible until I create a new profile (cuz they won't let me keep the old one?). I essentially have to set up the computer all over again. I don't have time for that crap - I had it working the way I wanted (sort of).

Shouldn't it be illegal for them to change the OS on my computer without me at least clicking on something that says 'OK'? Makes me wonder if this iis some kind of a malware attack? Or is it for real?

I've used both Windows 8 and 8.1 and they both suck the big dawickie. I was holding out for a free upgrade to Windows 10, which I understand is much better.

Had to vent. Have you guys had this happen?
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?
Reeltarded

Re: Unauthorized 8.1 Upgrade

Post by Reeltarded »

i have been destroyed by apple in the last 30 days

all systems are made for phones now

i am so pissed off i have screamed

3 updates in as many weeks. each more treacherous and evil.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
drew

Post by drew »

Just follow the prompts, sign up for an Outlook email account if you don't already have one ( or 300 burner Hotmail accounts or whatever), and let it do its thing. The only difference you're probably going to notice in using 8.1 is that when you start the machine up, you'll now have to input the Outlook account login and password. And they put a small down-pointing arrow on the start screen that works kind of like the old Start button to soothe the "omigod there's no more start button! we're all doomed!" crowd.
Dr-Joned

Post by Dr-Joned »

That is not an auto update. It is also a healthy size download. Are you sure someone didn't click on something by mistake?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 8-tutorial
I Think I Think Too Much !
boots

Post by boots »

My kids occasionally use that computer, and I grilled them about clicking on something like that, but they claim they haven't.

I have heard similar stories of unauthorized Windows upgrades form others. It just doesn't seem right!
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

There is a logfile somewhere that will tell you when it occurred. From that, you can probably pinpoint who may have done it.

If it is anything like Windows 7, you can open Windows Update and then View History. You'll get a date and time when you click on the item for details.
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

Can you restore to earlier date?

John
Do not limit yourself to what others think is reasonable or possible.

www.johnchristou.com
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

The bastards at Microsoft have god complexes - want to say they "own" the OS you pay too much for. Man, if it was more versatile, I mean if more of my stuff would run on it, I'd switch to Linux in a heartbeat.